Anybody else listen to audiobooks during workouts?

Options
whatlunasaid
whatlunasaid Posts: 173 Member
I made a rule that I can only listen to my ASoIaF audiobooks while I work out (or drive long distances.) I'm in the middle of Storm of Swords. :) I have also listened to Hannah Hart's Buffering while working out.

Do any of you do this? What books have you "read" this way?

Replies

• nFoooo
    nFoooo Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I don't even listen to music for the most part :tongue:
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I listen to audiobooks when I walk, drive, ride the bus. They're great. I have an audible membership and get 2 boos a month - I generally pick books that are 15 hours or more.

On my list I have:

Karen Slaughter
    Dean Koontz
    J.D. Robb
    John Hart
    Nick Cutter
    Jodie Picoult
    John Grisham

And a few others. I tend to find an author I like then buy a few of them in a row. I prefer books read by male narrators. All of the female narrators I've listened to are so annoying, either whiny and weak, or overly brash and grating. Possibly because I'm Australian and that high loud American female accent really gets on my nerves. The males tend to be less abrasive.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    i listen to audio books when i have my long runs.I have "read" a lot of Agatha Christie books, a few Stephen King stuff, and then random books here and there.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I do for long treadmills run also for my commute each day (2-3hrs round trip). I've listened to so many books over the years its hard to list them off (I do probably close to 40 a year)

I tends to pick books based on narrators as much as authors - I'm more likely to give a new author a try if its a narrator I've enjoyed before
  • whatlunasaid
    Options
    I listen to audiobooks when I walk, drive, ride the bus. They're great. I have an audible membership and get 2 boos a month - I generally pick books that are 15 hours or more.

On my list I have:

Karen Slaughter
    Dean Koontz
    J.D. Robb
    John Hart
    Nick Cutter
    Jodie Picoult
    John Grisham

And a few others. I tend to find an author I like then buy a few of them in a row. I prefer books read by male narrators. All of the female narrators I've listened to are so annoying, either whiny and weak, or overly brash and grating. Possibly because I'm Australian and that high loud American female accent really gets on my nerves. The males tend to be less abrasive.

That's interesting. I agree the narrator makes a huge difference but I never thought about gender.
    i listen to audio books when i have my long runs.I have "read" a lot of Agatha Christie books, a few Stephen King stuff, and then random books here and there.

Agatha Christie sounds like a great idea! Any recommendations for someone who's new to her work?
    I do for long treadmills run also for my commute each day (2-3hrs round trip). I've listened to so many books over the years its hard to list them off (I do probably close to 40 a year)

I tends to pick books based on narrators as much as authors - I'm more likely to give a new author a try if its a narrator I've enjoyed before

Narrators really make or break an audiobook, don't they? I know Alan Rickman narrated Return of the Native years back, so I may have to give that a shot. The Song of Ice and Fire narrator is absolutely excellent too. He has so many voices.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    totally! The Cat Who books by George Guidall. His voice is amazing!!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    What? No.

I must have music and it must be at and BPM that will keep me running or cycling at a certain heart rate. So I have several different playlists for running and cycling.

Wait..this makes me weird, right?
  • whatlunasaid
    Options
    What? No.

I must have music and it must be at and BPM that will keep me running or cycling at a certain heart rate. So I have several different playlists for running and cycling.

Wait..this makes me weird, right?

I did that when I used music to work out! I would get distracted trying to match my pace/heartbeat/breathing to the rhythm of the music, or vice versa. Audio books let me sweat at my own pace, haha.
  • whatlunasaid
    Options
    Relser wrote: »
    totally! The Cat Who books by George Guidall. His voice is amazing!!

I will have to look those up! Thank you. :)
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options

Agatha Christie sounds like a great idea! Any recommendations for someone who's new to her work?

Personally i find the books that have Poirot in them the best.I haven't run into any of her books that i didn't like (although some were blah).The only thing i find challenging with her books is the fact that there are always too many characters in them, so i can never remember their names while listening.But, i'd say the ones with Poirot are the most interesting.