MFP Sugar Counter

Singelli
Singelli Posts: 40 Member
So I was reading another topic, and something piqued my interest. On the MFP counter and daily levels, the 'sugar' category greatly confuses me. Does it measure ALL forms of sugar? I can't seem to meet my daily sugar goal, and I've exceeded it every day no matter what I consume. I was especially surprised when I seemed to exceed my daily goal while eating cherries.

However, I'm wondering now if it measures both healthy and unhealthy sugars? If so, I guess I should pay it no mind?

It's a little discouraging to see I'm a little below all my goals, while exceeding the sugar so much. And if it measures both types of sugar, I'm not sure it's advantageous for me to watch it. I'd rather watch something like iron, which I'm majorly struggling with (especially since I have PCOS). I'm actually insufficient in many of the report categories.... majorly.

Any help and advice would be appreciated. Thank you, and God bless! :)

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    It tracks sugar, any form of it, in fruit, or something that has added sugar.

If you have no medical reason to avoid it, don't worry about going over - especially if it's mostly coming from fruit.
  • I too had the same trouble with the sugar levels. How in the world do they come up with that number? My sugars were from fruit and yogurt and it's not like I was eating a candy bar.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    In for the ridiculous condemnation of sugar.

*sigh*
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    turn it off if you got no medical reasons that require you to track sugar intake or subtract natural sugars from it like from fruit and milk
  • Singelli
    Singelli Posts: 40 Member
    So obviously, eating well and exercising are the best methods for losing weight, but how exactly does MFP factor it all? I mean, it tells me that my consumption goal should be 1,2000 grams, but every time I exercise, it adds my burned calories onto that 1,200 as though I can now eat more.

I heard you only lose weight if you burn more calories than you consume? If this is the case, then why, oh why does MFP encourage an equilibrium?
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    So obviously, eating well and exercising are the best methods for losing weight, but how exactly does MFP factor it all? I mean, it tells me that my consumption goal should be 1,2000 grams, but every time I exercise, it adds my burned calories onto that 1,200 as though I can now eat more.

I heard you only lose weight if you burn more calories than you consume? If this is the case, then why, oh why does MFP encourage an equilibrium?

MFP sets you at an automatic deficit IF you do absolutely no exercise that day; however if you workout, you are burning calories and putting yourself in an even BIGGER deficit. Thus, you should at least try to eat back some or all of your calories to make sure you are not depriving your body too much.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member

MFP sets you at an automatic deficit IF you do absolutely no exercise that day; however if you workout, you are burning calories and putting yourself in an even BIGGER deficit. Thus, you should at least try to eat back some or all of your calories to make sure you are not depriving your body too much.

This. If you exercise under the NEAT method, you absolutely do get to eat more and still be at a deficit. Not eating those calories can drive your deficit too large and make it more difficult to lose the fat.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    If you have PCOS there's no such thing as a healthy sugar. I have PCOS and insulin resistance and wish I had cut the sugar and carbs years ago.