To log or not to log?

Options

Replies

• vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have not logged all my life and look where that has got me. So I log now. Everything. To me the log has become my "mother". That tiny voice that keeps me accountable. I honestly don't know how people do it if they don't log. As far as I'm concerned you either log every single thing or there is no point in logging anything.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Barely related at all but I'm on a 90+ day streak and eating at maintenance now. The best part is that it reminds me to eat breakfast, which is a big thing for me because I have to eat with my medication (Zoloft) or I'm worthless for most of the day. The act of opening the app and entering breakfast on MFP has kept me more consistent than different alarms and medication trackers because I would get sidetracked by the companion meal. Many days pre-logging, I forgot to take it entirely and I'd be off balance for days afterward. It is worth the time and effort for me.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I log every day, usually after each meal.

It becomes very automatic and keeps me on track.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    For me - I have to log and be a bit obsessive about it. My husband said it best when he started on his journey way back when - that once he started logging he didn't realize just how bad the stuff was that he ate - he thought he was being reasonably healthy and really wasn't. Arby's may have the meats, but it's not the sirloin and filet's that are better for you. The meats they have are a little fattier and have more salt. UNtil then, I thought having a regular roast beef wasn't that bad.

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I have never before logged after losing weight. I have done it before while losing, but also just followed a low carb WOE without logging. I lost weight both ways, but always gained some of it back later. This time, I'm continuing to log in hopes of not slipping into bad habits that cause me to gain weight. It really does keep me mindful of the consequences of my food choices.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I've been here over 3 years and for me logging has been key to losing and maintaining the loss. It really takes very little time once you've done it for awhile and I can log the day over my cup of coffee in the morning.

If you've been here any time at all you may have noticed all the posts that begin with "Back Again" or "Gained the Weight Back and More", or "Starting Over"...........most of those people rested on their weight loss laurels and quit logging. ;)
  • Miss_Hattie
    Miss_Hattie Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Years ago on another site I never logged online. It just took too much time for me and I felt it was a duplication of what I already had down on paper. I use a regular 8 1/2 x 11 wire bound tablet and write down and measure everything that goes into my mouth. I even measure my catsup and salad dressing. I also write down the time that I eat and at the far right I log my fat, carbs, protein and calories. I keep the tablet handy with a pen or pencil at all times. I would also use the mini-meal method spreading out the food throughout the day. It helps increase your metabolism that way. I just joined here a few days ago and I still do everything the same, EXCEPT I am trying to learn the online logging system, too. Logging, whether in a tablet or online, just helps you stay focused on what is important to you. Good luck!!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I don't log anymore I did to lose weight though, however
    If my holiday shorts don't fit I will be on it again
    I checked last week and all good.
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    I've been here over 3 years and for me logging has been key to losing and maintaining the loss. It really takes very little time once you've done it for awhile and I can log the day over my cup of coffee in the morning.

If you've been here any time at all you may have noticed all the posts that begin with "Back Again" or "Gained the Weight Back and More", or "Starting Over"...........most of those people rested on their weight loss laurels and quit logging. ;)

That's because they stopped being mindful
    I stopped logging but I still log on here everyday and force myself to exercise when I can
    Plenty of people in life are slim who have never logged
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I disagree with your cons for logging.
    Takes me only a couple of minutes a day to log. Usually on the evening before.

It is as obsessive as brushing my teeth twice a day is. Or showering. Just a routine healthy habit.

Not sure what you mean by the all or nothing bit.
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you guys for an awesome feedback!

Sorry, I was not clear when I said "meal plan" - I didn't have in mind fixed menu, I was thinking rather a strategy plan, like, for example:
    - eat 3 meals a day, no snack between or 1 small snack
    - eat one serving per meal
    - fill half a plate with veggies
    (something like that)

But, in any case, your wonderful feedback made me think that logging is a way to go and that it helps obtaining mindfulness.
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    I disagree with your cons for logging.
    Takes me only a couple of minutes a day to log. Usually on the evening before.

It is as obsessive as brushing my teeth twice a day is. Or showering. Just a routine healthy habit.

Not sure what you mean by the all or nothing bit.

Not quite the same but understand the concept
    Brushing teeth and washing is hygienic and stops upsetting colleagues at work
    Logging is a really useful method but not essential for everyone
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Eating 3 meals a day and 1 serving per meal is a good idea, but it may not be as effective as you'd like... a LOT will depend on what you're eating and how big your "serving" is! This is where logging can be incredibly helpful and informative.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Why be here and NOT log your food/exercise? It's a great tool no matter what your goals are.

Me personally, I log to make sure I don't eat an excess of calories. I've had a lot of weight to lose, and I'm still going.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Nothing works best for me. So I don't know. During my initial weight loss when I had drive and self-control, yes logging was king.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I've never logged on a daily basis and I've never used a food scale. Labels are enough. I simply needed to learn how much food I eat on a typical day. Did that for a week or so and after that I would just count the total calories of my weekly food shop and divide by 7.

After several weeks of once-a-week count, I took the average and it came to 1700-2000/day. I lost 35 lbs and I've been maintaining 120 +/-5 for 2 years.

If my weight loss slowed down, I would simply increase my exercise or eat less(like skipping one of my junk foods that week) without having to know the exact calories day to day.

The idea of daily weighing food on a scale for months or years is not something I would strive for or encourage as a long term habit. The goal is awareness of calorie density of various foods, quantities and types of food that one needs to meet their caloric needs, feel full and have energy for their activity level while promoting weightloss or maintenance.

Once that is learned in the initial stages and sporadically over time, what would be the point of weighing a slice of bread every single time?

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I'm a month into maintenance and still logging everything. I love to eat so I need to be mindful. I do still have that internal conversation with myself that goes "well you're going over so just whatever, forget the rest right?" and I have to tell myself no, you still need to know how much you ate if you're going to make sense of anything.
  • nicolepburgess91
    nicolepburgess91 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I used to log religiously, then stopped. I thought I had it handled, so why not. But I'm back up in weight and starting to log again. It turned out that I was intaking more calories than I thought. I need to calorie count. I see that now. But it's different for everybody. Some people need it, others dont.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Logging keeps me on track toward my weight loss goals and honest with myself. I think I read somewhere that those who log or otherwise keep a food diary lose more weight over time than those who dont. It does help me focus on my journey and I like the visual cue that I get from the numbers that tell me that I am on track and within budget. Its helped me lose over 100lbs. I recently saw a friend that I have been out of touch with for quite some time and when she saw me she exclaimed "Oh my god you're tiny!" Well I dont think I am actually TINY but certainly I look lot different - just by following MFP guidelines, including logging.
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Logging isn't for everybody else. I log but keep my diary private. I find it helps he to be able to go back and look over my choices to understand weight loss vs weight gain etc.