How many carbs should you have a day to lose weight?

Options
Is 100g of carbs too much to have per day?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,994 Member
    Options
    Whatever fits within your calories limit. I've no idea how many carbs I eat.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    if i eat low carb i get all bloated im only saying this because it goes against keto logic and pcos diets but everyones different
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    As many as you want that fit your calories? I average somewhere between 150 and 180 daily (on a weekly basis) and am losing the 1 lb/wk I'm set up to lose because I stay within my calorie goal overall.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Depends on your calorie allowance and your food preferences/needs....

31nzshmqy0am.png
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    After I calculate protein needs based on 1g/lb of lean mass and fat grams based on .35g/lb of ideal bodyweight, I'm left with what my carbs should be. It's about 130 for me because I only eat about 1440 cals but depending on how active you are you could easily eat a lot more as others have illustrated.

One macro isn't going to make a difference but the total of all of them combined DOES have a calorie value which is what will determine whether you lose or not. You need to consume LESS than you require to maintain your current weight to lose; no one is exempt from this.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    After I calculate protein needs based on 1g/lb of lean mass and fat grams based on .35g/lb of ideal bodyweight, I'm left with what my carbs should be. It's about 130 for me because I only eat about 1440 cals but depending on how active you are you could easily eat a lot more as others have illustrated.

One macro isn't going to make a difference but the total of all of them combined DOES have a calorie value which is what will determine whether you lose or not. You need to consume LESS than you require to maintain your current weight to lose; no one is exempt from this.

x2
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

31nzshmqy0am.png

Interested how you "earned" 4.5k calories.
  • leahgoldgirl
    leahgoldgirl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not evil. It's not about carbs. The most important thing is calories in vs calories out. If you eat fewer calories than you burn, you'll lose weight. The next priority is quality of calories. Calories from whole food sources are better than calories from processed, packaged food sources. You get more nutrition out of them, and will be better satiated after eating them. Next, you can worry about macros. Do you want to maintain lean mass while losing? Aim for at least .5 grams of protein per lb of body weight. .8 would be even better. Carbs are great for glycogen replenishment. If you workout hard, you need to replenish glycogen. On my hard workout days (typically, not this week because I'm trying to make a specific weight for a meet, and purposely a bit glycogen depleted), I eat about 160-200 grams of carbs per day. Most of the starchy carbs (rice, potato, sweet potato, etc) get consumed within the 2 hours after I workout, so my body can use them as fuel to build/ repair muscle, as opposed to spiking my blood sugar, or storing them as fat. On days I don't workout, I don't eat starchy carbs. All of my carbs on those days come from fruits and veggies, and I get about 50-80 grams per day (gross, not net of fiber).
  • georgiamaxine1
    georgiamaxine1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise in the gym but I do about 10,000 to 20,000 steps a day.. I do quite a bit of walking and have a horse so that's how I exercise. Thanks for the information!
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    as many as you want - weight loss is about calories

I take in close to 300g 5 days a week (and 230 the other 2 days) and I'm down 12lbs

This. Carb intake doesn't matter for weight loss. It's calories that matter, and creating the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise in the gym but I do about 10,000 to 20,000 steps a day.. I do quite a bit of walking and have a horse so that's how I exercise. Thanks for the information!

What is your current height, weight, age?
    How much weight are you trying to lose?
    What activity level did you choose?
    What rate of loss did you select (ie lose 1 lb/wk)?
    What calorie goal did MFP provide you?

Assuming all of that is set up properly and with a reasonable goal, then as others have said, you can eat as many or few carbs as you like. You should aim to eat a variety of foods within that calorie goal focusing on ones that provide you nutrition (both macro and micronutrients), satiety (fills you up) and enjoyment (keeps you motivated during the process). Log everything you eat as accurately as possible, ideally using a food scale.

Monitor and adjust after 6-8 weeks when you have some results to assess.

• georgiamaxine1
    georgiamaxine1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Height 5'9 weight 13 stone. Wanting to lose 3 stone/ 42 lbs. thanks!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

31nzshmqy0am.png

@trigden1991
    Nine hour 129 mile / 205km cycle ride with a few hard climbs.

Come and join me on this year's event? Beautiful countryside to enjoy and the food is pretty epic too. :)
    http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-888/

why does London have to be so far away :(

and only 16 pounds - it would easily be double-triple that in the US
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options

31nzshmqy0am.png

Sijomial is a cycler :smile: he really helps me up on my question about cycling exercises. Maybe I don't know him so much and about his other exercises

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options

31nzshmqy0am.png

@trigden1991
    Nine hour 129 mile / 205km cycle ride with a few hard climbs.

Come and join me on this year's event? Beautiful countryside to enjoy and the food is pretty epic too. :)
    http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-888/

I need to start cycling lol I would cycle all day to smash 6K
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Height 5'9 weight 13 stone. Wanting to lose 3 stone/ 42 lbs. thanks!

You should be aiming to lose 1 lb/ week and probably should choose the lightly active setting for activity level, based on your step count above. What calorie target does MFP provide with that goal?