New with a new desk job

Hi all!

I'm a mom of two that has still been struggling with the baby weight. I recently moved from a fairly active job to a new position at my very own desk. Needless to say, I'm a lot less active in a day and I am nervous about the effects. Better to be proactive than reactive, so here I am!
I'm looking forward to working on the rest of my post-pregnancy weight instead of adding a "freshman fifteen" from being less active.

Replies

• jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    As a mom of 2 with a 9 hour work day and a one hour drive each day my best advise is to schedule in your workouts and treat them as you would any other appointment. Do not cancel on yourself! For me that means I get up at 4am every morning to be at the gym by 5, that the grandparents take the kids for dinner once a week so I can go to a running group, and that I pre-schedule a 5k or some other kind of fitness activity once a month. It's hard as a Mom to put yourself as a priority but it is something that needs to be done.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    jsecret wrote: »
    As a mom of 2 with a 9 hour work day and a one hour drive each day my best advise is to schedule in your workouts and treat them as you would any other appointment. Do not cancel on yourself! For me that means I get up at 4am every morning to be at the gym by 5, that the grandparents take the kids for dinner once a week so I can go to a running group, and that I pre-schedule a 5k or some other kind of fitness activity once a month. It's hard as a Mom to put yourself as a priority but it is something that needs to be done.

Not a mom, but a parent.

If you've ever paid attention to the pre-flight instruction, the flight attendant says in the event of a loss of cabin pressure to put your oxygen mask on before helping others.

IMO, good life advice. No matter how much we want to help someone, to be able to do that we need to take care of ourselves first.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Make a point to get up ever so often and go for a walk around the office. Drink water from a smaller glass so you have to leave your desk to go fill it up more often. Drink lots of water so you are having to get up and go to the washroom. If you drive to work, park as far away from the building as possible, or better yet see if you can potentially walk or bike ride instead. Or if you have to drive go for a walk on your break, take the stairs instead of the elevator etc. Just a couple ideas that will help keep you moving.
    Little things will add up and help you stay more active throughout the day.
  • momandhercoffee
    momandhercoffee Posts: 9 Member
    Thank you guys for the advice! It can definitely be hard to put myself first, but I can see this being a slippery slope.