Walking as Exercise

Options
I was in the lunchroom being schooled on fitness and nutrition by a woman who had lost 80lbs not eating carbs (lol) Apparently walking isn't exercise and she was obnoxious about it too. I mentioned that I only walk as cardio because I would be too bored on a treadmill or stair climber and can't run to save my life lol.

My observed TDEE goes from 1850 to 2100 just by getting 10K steps a day. I've also seen it ridiculed on these boards (not lately) but was curious to know if you consider walking "exercise"?

Replies

• dawson002
    dawson002 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    of course walking is exercise!

if your moving and you get your heart rate up its exercise
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I have mostly done walking as my exercise. It burns cals, so of course it counts!

Down 140lbs: My story.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    ... was curious to know if you consider walking "exercise"?

For me, walking is a way to burn calories, but it's not a way to increase fitness.
  • Tophers_Motivation
    Tophers_Motivation Posts: 39 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I've lost quite a bit of weight from watching calories and walking. That's it. No, I wouldn't say I'm in shape, but I'm a lot lighter.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options

For me, walking is a way to burn calories, but it's not a way to increase fitness.

I don't see how someone who barely broke 3500 steps and went from an office job to the sofa can't increase their fitness by now walking 10K steps (which if you have an office job and sedentary lifestyle takes a bit of conscious effort). This doesn't seem logical.
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    Yes it is, however to lose weight you have to get your heart rate up above 120. The longer the better. Or do HIIT.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    It definitely is exercise.
    80% (or higher) of weight loss is diet. Exercise is for overall health.
    You can lose weight without exercising at all just by eating at a calorie deficit. A lot of people have done it, are doing it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,970 Member
    Options
    tjkita wrote: »
    Yes it is, however to lose weight you have to get your heart rate up above 120. The longer the better. Or do HIIT.

no. I can lose weight sitting on my couch as long as I maintain a deficit of calories.

@fascha - I mostly walk for exercise. I have old injuries that preclude running, so I have found lots of hilly trails around me, the hills make me work a little harder without the pounding impact of running. I'm old. About the only other things I do are gardening, swimming (rarely - I scuba dive, but it isn't exactly cardio) or kayaking.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    tjkita wrote: »

What? No this isn't true. To lose weight you just need to eat less than you burn.

To me I consider walking an everyday activity, but for some it can be exercise depending on how active they are day to day.
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    It's definitely exercise. Just make sure you don't double count the calories burned by putting your lifestyle as active and then counting your steps as calories burned on here
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

I don't see how someone who barely broke 3500 steps and went from an office job to the sofa can't increase their fitness by now walking 10K steps (which if you have an office job and sedentary lifestyle takes a bit of conscious effort). This doesn't seem logical.

I don't know what your fitness level or exercise history are. But I didn't say you can't increase your fitness by walking, that would be silly. You asked if other people consider walking to be exercise, and "exercise" has different meanings to different people, so I gave you my answer for me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

It kinda depends on where you're at. Walking for me is a good light activity...I walk on rest days and walking is how I started back into fitness...but in terms of increased fitness, it has a rather low ceiling. Where I'm at now, walking does basically nothing for my actual fitness, but it's a nice and relaxing form of light exercise.

Also, I'm not at all saying that walking isn't a valid form of exercise...it just depends on where your fitness aspirations lie. I have a two day 150 mile ride planned for August and my first full century planned for September...walking as my primary form of exercise would do nothing to prepare me for those things from a fitness standpoint. Next March I'm planning on doing the Bataan Memorial Death March and I'll do a lot of walking with a weighted pack to prepare for that.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options

I don't know what your fitness level or exercise history are. But I didn't say you can't increase your fitness by walking, that would be silly. You asked if other people consider walking to be exercise, and "exercise" has different meanings to different people, so I gave you my answer for me.

fair point lol
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options

I think you're meeting resistance because the "for me" in your original statement reads more like "in my opinion" from the way the sentence is structured.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    My ankles told me a long time ago running is ill-advised. 3 months off doing anything while healing an injury was all it took for me to be A-ok with walking as exercise. I like to up the incline on the treadmill when I walk inside to increase the difficulty.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Walking is great for your mental & physical health. For many beginners, walking is the best and only exercise they can do. It is a starting point in the Fitness & health journey, When you can barely walk 1/4 mile, walking can indeed build your fitness level. But most of us need to progress beyond that at some point.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    OP, did she say why she doesn't consider it exercise?