Lose Weight Gain Muscle at the same time?

Options
Juggernautpint
Juggernautpint Posts: 70 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello fellow weight warriors!

Have a question:

Is it worth bodybuilding with a 1,000 calorie deficit? (when I say bodybuilding I don't mean hardcore, but aggressive fat loss coupled with muscle gains). I knew a female body builder Cynthia Jansen IFBB Pro at my gym (when I used to go). Watching her transformation happen pre-contest was astounding. Pre-contest wasn't about building, as much as keeping the muscle that was built and shedding the fat.

Everything I've learned to date suggests that you need a surplus for building and deficit for weight loss. Can you do both? Or is it best just to lose first then build? I've always done a bulk then cut but never at the same time.

My first time here on MFP was a big success and I lost over 55 pounds following the rules I listed on my profile.

As expected with aggressive fat loss, there was muscle loss also (granted I wasn't lifting weights and focused mostly on mountain biking for additional calorie burns). I quickly got down to my college weight which I never expected to see again.

I decided to go hardcore back into building with a dirty bulk (Calorie dense foods) and hit the gym. In a very short span I went from 195 lbs to 215 lbs albeit the gain was both muscle and fat, my waist was still slim and my T-Shirts quickly began to fit like a second layer of skin. Thanks to muscle memory, I bulked quickly and even my chiropractor joked about being on steroids.

However, somewhere along the way I lost motivation when the gym near me closed and I suffered some personal losses in my family. With an undisciplined diet and lack of exercise I just gained weight and found myself disgusted and heavier than before.

Anyway, spring is a time of new beginnings and with a recent restructuring of job, I find I have more free time and motivation.

This time around I'd like to achieve a body composition change, not just fat (and muscle) loss.

Here is my idea this time around:
First 30 Days: Just log my food and get into the habit of measuring and logging.
Day 30 - 60: Cut caloric intake, daily deficit goal 1,000 and lose some excess weight.
Day 60+: Caloric deficit at 1,000 but Implement weight resistance training 3 days a week.

and hence the question... weight training with a caloric deficit?

Would love for you to weigh-in on your experience.

7512597.png

Replies

• Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I lift all the time regardless - it's something I enjoy. I basically did a 15 year slow bulk. But now I'm doing a very long cut, concentrating on dropping body fat while trying to maintain or gain strength.

If you can, lift through all your phases from the very beginning. The first 30 days could be practice logging at maintenance for your activity level. Then you can set a healthy deficit from your established maintenance calories.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I would suggest skipping the days you have identified as 30-60. Unless there's an unmentioned reason you can't start lifting sooner than day 60.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I read about this being possible if combined with fasting, where you are in a surplus on lift/feed days but in deficit on other days. you would have to google and study if the method has merit and how it is done. I didn't pay close attention since I'm not lifting.