Today's news on Diet Soda/Pop

Options
Here is the study:
stroke.ahajournals.org/content/early/2017/04/20/STROKEAHA.116.016027

"I was surprised that sugary beverage intake was not associated with either the risks of stroke or dementia because sugary beverages are known to be unhealthy," Pase, of the Boston University School of Medicine, told CNN.

"Our observation that artificially sweetened, but not sugar-sweetened, soft drink consumption was associated with an increased risk of stroke and dementia is intriguing," according to the study. "Like sugar-sweetened soft drinks, artificially sweetened soft drinks are associated with risk factors for stroke and dementia, although the mechanisms are incompletely understood, and inconsistent findings have been reported," it adds. (emphasis mine)

AND

One doctor discussed a theory of his regarding the study, though acknowledging it's unproven.

"When the authors controlled for hypertension and diabetes and obesity the effects diminish, which implies that some of the effects of artificially sweetened beverages could still be going through a vascular pathway," Dr. Ralph Sacco of the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, who wrote an editorial that was published with the study, told :CNN. (emphasis mine)

AND

Personal observations regarding the study:
1. Based on self-reporting of diet.
2. May show correlation, but does not show causation.

I feel safe in continuing to drink my Diet Pepsi. :)

Replies

• PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    All those reports that say diet drinks cause weight gain - I'll never understand that. I incorporate some artificially sweetened beverages into my weekly diet and have never craved more sweets, ate more than I planned or felt any different than if I drank a plain glass of water...
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Diet drinks and an entire laundry list of other unhealthy conditions may increase dementia risk. I don't feel the need to drink them and I am in the normal category for the other risk factors so I guess my lifestyle puts me in the average risk of dementia category. I feel so relieved now
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I feel bad for all those diabetics then...cause next thing it will be diabetes associated to dementia...
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I feel bad for all those diabetics then...cause next thing it will be diabetes associated to dementia...
    http://www.alzheimers.net/2015-10-14/how-alzheimers-could-be-type-2-diabetes/

Never thought of that, but the rise in T2 diabetes could correlate to the rise in dementia, no?
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    If this is true, I'm screwed.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

actually talking about type 1 as my brother has that one...since he was 5...he has drank nothing but diet soda all his life with the exception of course with juice etc....

but if he has soda it's diet...he's in his 50's he seems fine but I will keep an eye on him now....*rolls eyes*
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    More scaremongering from somebody with an agenda.
  • susannekb
    susannekb Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I saw this today and had many questions about the overall health of the subjects. Also the cohort numbers were very small to draw such broad conclusions. I don't think I'll be putting down the coke zero anytime soon. I think like anything moderation is the key
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I quit the stuff years ago. Not sure whether this study is valid or not, but it's an expensive habit and made me burp. :s
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Out of curiosity, what were Model 2 and 3? Feeling too lazy to read through the study.

I'm going to go pour a diet soda, I don't feel at risk.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

Never thought of that, but the rise in T2 diabetes could correlate to the rise in dementia, no?

Both correlate to a lack of exercise. Which may well explain why diet sodas seem to correlate but not sugar sweetened ones. People may be using the fact that they are drinking fewer calories as a reason not to exercise.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I figure we all have to die of something, right? Do I want diabetes or dementia? NO. But am I going to be fearful of every single diet soda I drink thinking it's going to cause me to develop those diseases? No. Everything in moderation.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    As you said, OP; correlation =\= causation. Imma go get me a Pepsi max :)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    This year's "cured meat is evil" crap media reporting of findings? Well blow me.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options

I haven't read the link - but, yes,seems very plausible to me that rise in type2 diabetes could correlate to rise in dementia. Not so much Alzheimer's disease but multi vascular dementia - ie from strokes or transischaemic attacks ('mini strokes') as diabetes is well known to have increased cardiovascular risks.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    The Washington Post reported this too "HIGHER RISK OF DEMENTIA/STROKE ZOMGZ" and then proceeded to stay it was barely a 2% percent increase and the study referenced could only demonstrate correlation. My eyes rolled so violently I almost passed out. Seriously, anything to get a click.... :|

I thought it was 2.6 times more likely to get it, not a 2% increase.