Feeling really thirsty and dehydrated.

Options
I drink a lot of water, today I've had 4.5L, but I still feel really thirsty​, my lips are dry and feeling like they're going to crack, I've tried eating more the last couple of days in case the thirst/hunger thing has reversed, but I'm still really thirsty, also I never go over 1600mg sodium or 15g sugar.
Any ideas on what can cause me to be so thirsty?

Replies

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Diabetes? You should see a doctor.
  • SarahFromWalthamForest
    SarahFromWalthamForest Posts: 101 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    Diabetes? You should see a doctor.

Had a blood test a 3 weeks ago, and wasn't even on the borderline of diabetes, so I don't think it's that..
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Well, your electrolytes might be messed up from so much water, so little salt, and no sugar.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Try adding gastrolyte to your water to balance your electrolytes.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Tons of water + very little salt = not awesome.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Stop drinking so much water.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Drinking too much water and a very restricted diet messing up your electrolyte balance would be my guess.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    Thirsty or a dry mouth? A dry mouth can be caused by many things including some medications and illness.

Dry mouth and badly cracked lips were a couple of my symptoms when I developed the auto-immune issue Sjogren's syndrome.

That's a lot of water, perhaps start reducing it, it's clear its not helping the symptom of feeling thirsty.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    Well, your electrolytes might be messed up from so much water, so little salt, and no sugar.

This. You need to get Gatorade or something similar. You've been drinking far too much water and are diluting your electrolytes.

How's your sodium intake?
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Rather than adding something like Gatorade, which is intended for elite athletes in very hot weather, try reducing your water intake. I agree with previous posters. That is a lot of water! Try drinking more like 2 L a day for a few days and see how you feel. If you're exercising to the point of working up a sweat, then drink some more, but only to make up for the sweat you lose.
  • SarahLascelles1
    SarahLascelles1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Try some salt.
  • DevilDogUSMC2017
    DevilDogUSMC2017 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Are you on any medication that would cause the thirst as a side effect?
  • scarlett624kh
    scarlett624kh Posts: 14 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. I became hospitalized over hyponatremia(low sodium). My sodium went from 134 to 120 in a matter of days. My blood pressure was also high. Not sure yet what's wrong but I take sodium tablets and drink Powerade zero when I start feeling bad. Limiting water and eating for at least an hour really helps too.
  • Kib13
    Kib13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you don't want a bunch of added sugar, try Electo Mix. It's a powder that you mix with water. By the same brand that does EmergenC.