MFP

Options
I have a question about setting your weight loss goals on MFP. When it says goal weight do you put what you want to weight when you're at your total weight loss or do you set it at smaller goals like 20 lbs, 50 lbs,etc? For example of your current weight is 250 but want to weigh 180, do you put your goal weight at 180 or do you aim for 20 lbs first, then 20 more

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I put 220 (when I was 330) but don't know if that is my final, probably closer to 190. I just know I'm taking a break when I get to 220 and will restart in the fall.

But I had mini-goals along the way in the back of my mind.
  • MsChucktowski
    MsChucktowski Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. I've found that having mini goals was more encouraging than one final goal. Once I got to my first goal (losing 5 kg), I felt confident that I could put in the work to continue losing.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Why set a goal that is higher than what you intend? That just makes you do more work going in to charge your goal.
  • Rosiez2014
    Rosiez2014 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I assume personal preference but I dd mine as mini goals I kept my main goal in mind but felt I should break it up so I would be okay with the time it was taking to get there as long as I seen progress and results.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Some people find it motivating to hit smaller goals along the way. Others prefer to see the whole shift. Depends on what motivates you.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    my original "goal' i was to scared to admit even to myself i had when i started was 180. I started 235 and 180 was the weight i was before it started raising and i hadnt even ...noticed....not really i stopped caring about my body past 180.

I found smaller goals of 5-10 pounds helped. I dont update my weight on mfp at all until i lose 5 pounds and remain consistently under the nxt 5 down for a week or so ...i eventually got the feel for it. Feels so exciting to update it and motivates me to keep it down. Id be so discouraged if i updated every pound or whatever and then my weight swayed back above it.

im now 140 smaller thn i ever remember being so it obviously worked for me.

In conclusion do a bit of both. Set a big goal, And then on your way there set mini. Best of both worlds
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I set it for the weight I would have to be for a bmi of 25 which was 73kg (160lbs) when I started at 107.6kg (~237lbs) at the time it seemed impossible to get there as I had been a teenager last time weighed that but now I'm close to it (1.7kg to go) I'm considering changing it to 70kg