how do you balance??

Options
nicruns
nicruns Posts: 201 Member
I have my fair share of rest days... but on others, I workout HARD.
So how do you balance that extra hunger that comes along with burning 1,000+ calories in a day vs days when you're recovering from the previous day's workout... only to push it again the next day?

Smaller meals throughout the day helps keep me in check most of the time, and yet I know I'm not doing everything right.

I'm juggling multisport training (triathlon) with marathon training, working 40+hr weeks & TRYING not to jeopardize my relationship, but THIS IS HARD!

I try to keep fruits/veggies & granola bars handy... and water at the ready
but I'm looking for more (& better!) ideas for how to manage my nutrition (often on-the-go) vs. 5-7 tough workouts a week.

I'm on the heavier side for a female athlete for SURE
but I'm as strong as an ox & fit
(but need to pare down...!)

ideas?

Replies

• ThisCanadian
    ThisCanadian Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    Bump for the awesome OP.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I have leaned on nutrition from protein sources to help curb appetites. In many cases, whey or casein protein.

Casein protein is the more slower digesting protein, so I have found that one scoop with some water can help curb an appetite for a few hours. One scoop is usually about 160-175 calories, 15-18g of protein, 3-5g of carbs, 7-9g of fat. It's really ideal as a before-bedtime snack.

My between meal snacks tend to consist of whey protein and a banana. This has been pretty filling for me as well. I'll eat it 2-3 hours before working out, which can be another hour.

I hope this is of some help. Bumping for others to post their ideas.