Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

MFP is turning into My Keto Pal

Options

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    What i don't understand is why people who have never done keto or who are not interested in it, or have a flat hatred for it go into these threads with an obvious annoyance from word one...

I don't go into vegan, vegetarian, paleo, dukan etc etc etc threads, because i have no interest or experience in these eating styles. I may ask a question sometimes, but getting all hot under the collar or dishing out advice or pushing my opinion on other people which will inevitably derail the whole thing is just a waste of time imo.

Don't you know...they do it for the lurkers! LOL Just kidding...I have often wondered the same thing.

I do read threads about other ways of eating however. I am just always curious. What I have found is that if you read with an open mind you can learn some things. I have even applied some bits and pieces from some of these different diet plans to my own...even if what I learned was not what to do.

I also think that for many people it is better to learn some of these things on their own. There is no harm in trying a keto diet...if it works great...if not they can always try something else. I certainly tried a few different things until I figured out what works for me.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    What i don't understand is why people who have never done keto or who are not interested in it, or have a flat hatred for it go into these threads with an obvious annoyance from word one...

I don't go into vegan, vegetarian, paleo, dukan etc etc etc threads, because i have no interest or experience in these eating styles. I may ask a question sometimes, but getting all hot under the collar or dishing out advice or pushing my opinion on other people which will inevitably derail the whole thing is just a waste of time imo.

Don't you know...they do it for the lurkers! LOL Just kidding...I have often wondered the same thing.

I do read threads about other ways of eating however. I am just always curious. What I have found is that if you read with an open mind you can learn some things. I have even applied some bits and pieces from some of these different diet plans to my own...even if what I learned was not what to do.

I also think that for many people it is better to learn some of these things on their own. There is no harm in trying a keto diet...if it works great...if not they can always try something else. I certainly tried a few different things until I figured out what works for me.

OMG i have no pleasant words to describe my feelings when i read that (bolded) sentence on here hi5l3084796r.jpg

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    What's with the keto invasion in the forums? I mean, every ten minutes another "anyone doing keto?" thread. Who considers it a passing fad? Who thinks it's here to stay?

Since it has been around for nearly 100 years for health recovery reasons it may have never been a fad but more of a trend that was slow to catch on but thanks to MFP's drive for better weight management tools more people now know about the upside of keto with no down side for most.

Keto can be a turn off carb addicts to even think about in a serious way. Not sure I would have ever went Keto if I had not done it by accident when I was trying to avoid starting on Enbrel injections.

Reversing Type 2 diabetes as well helping prevent it, cancer, heart attack, arthritis, stroke, etc just makes it attractive. The automatic weight loss feature that works for many of us I expect is another reason for the keto trend gaining speed.

Learning that true weight loss was about macros more than just calories was a shock to me and wish I had understood that and acted on it 40 years earlier. Since Oct 2014 eating lightly keto has lead to a major recovery of my failing health.

Keto is not magic but science but there is no reason to eat Keto if that is not one's cup of tea.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »

In all fairness, the exact same could be said of keto people who pop into completely unrelated threads and start spouting "GO KETO! GO KETO!!! IT'S TEH WONDERFULZ!!1!1!!" regardless of whether that was part of the original topic or not. Often accompanied by links to that junk science dietdoctor website.

I stay out of vegan threads also, as I have nothing useful to offer. I'm not vegan, don't want to be vegan and have no interest in the topic - but to each their own. If you enjoy vegan and stand behind the ethical principles, that's great for you ("you" in the general/collective sense - not addressing you personally, Christine). Not my bag, but as long as you're not taking my milk away and forcing tofu down my throat, we're good. :)

I also usually stay out of keto threads if they're the specific focus (i.e., obvious by the thread title). But I will certainly offer my opinion or links to relevant science when ketophiles come into general (non-keto) threads and start muddying the waters with a bunch of unfounded woo.

FWIW, I've done keto before, twenty-some years ago. Had successful weight loss with it and was generally satiated with the foods. I quit it because I didn't see it as sustainable in the long term - there are a few carby foods I never want to give up for life (most notably tortillas with Mexican food and rice with sushi). I also had stomach issues with it, it was where I learned the phrase "never trust a fart" - and taking a temporary break from eating LCHF created some very disconcerting and potentially disastrous issues for me. Not much fun to spend a holiday making sure you're never more than waddling distance to the nearest bathroom!

Nonetheless, I have no hatred for keto. As I said before, I believe it can be a viable diet. The diet itself doesn't irk me in the least, nor does the fact that some people have success with it. That's awesome. What does irk me is the false and/or cherry-picked science and made-up statistics that get thrown around to preach that everybody should be doing keto because we're all IR or borderline diabetic and everybody needs teh miraclez that blessed keto offers. That's when discussions derail and turn into train wrecks.

You always say this is happening. I think I've seen it happen less than 5 times in the almost three years I've been here. Could you list some links to threads where this is happening or has happened?

I actually have seen this a few times since I've been here. Here's an example. The fifth reply?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/39385381#Comment_39385381
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    you could always ignore those threads

Now where's the fun in that :wink:
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

In all fairness, the exact same could be said of keto people who pop into completely unrelated threads and start spouting "GO KETO! GO KETO!!! IT'S TEH WONDERFULZ!!1!1!!" regardless of whether that was part of the original topic or not. Often accompanied by links to that junk science dietdoctor website.

I stay out of vegan threads also, as I have nothing useful to offer. I'm not vegan, don't want to be vegan and have no interest in the topic - but to each their own. If you enjoy vegan and stand behind the ethical principles, that's great for you ("you" in the general/collective sense - not addressing you personally, Christine). Not my bag, but as long as you're not taking my milk away and forcing tofu down my throat, we're good. :)

I also usually stay out of keto threads if they're the specific focus (i.e., obvious by the thread title). But I will certainly offer my opinion or links to relevant science when ketophiles come into general (non-keto) threads and start muddying the waters with a bunch of unfounded woo.

FWIW, I've done keto before, twenty-some years ago. Had successful weight loss with it and was generally satiated with the foods. I quit it because I didn't see it as sustainable in the long term - there are a few carby foods I never want to give up for life (most notably tortillas with Mexican food and rice with sushi). I also had stomach issues with it, it was where I learned the phrase "never trust a fart" - and taking a temporary break from eating LCHF created some very disconcerting and potentially disastrous issues for me. Not much fun to spend a holiday making sure you're never more than waddling distance to the nearest bathroom!

Nonetheless, I have no hatred for keto. As I said before, I believe it can be a viable diet. The diet itself doesn't irk me in the least, nor does the fact that some people have success with it. That's awesome. What does irk me is the false and/or cherry-picked science and made-up statistics that get thrown around to preach that everybody should be doing keto because we're all IR or borderline diabetic and everybody needs teh miraclez that blessed keto offers. That's when discussions derail and turn into train wrecks.

You always say this is happening. I think I've seen it happen less than 5 times in the almost three years I've been here. Could you list some links to threads where this is happening or has happened?

I actually have seen this a few times since I've been here. Here's an example. The fifth reply?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/39385381#Comment_39385381

And the worse offenders get locked and deleted.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options

My assumption's because many, especially new people're approaching these; options as a fad diet!
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    Newmeadow, I found another. 3 page. 3 reply and so on from peacefulkancer?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10544739/am-i-the-only-one-who-cant-lose-weight/p3
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    There's even one oh so helpful soul offering his paid services as a "keto coach". And he guarantees results!: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/39395012/#Comment_39395012
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of posts about IF. I used to be here 5 years ago and nobody talked about IF back then. I got alot of grief from people back then how fasting is bad for you etc..
    Keto is the new thing. Next year it will be something else.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    There's even one oh so helpful soul offering his paid services as a "keto coach". And he guarantees results!: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/39395012/#Comment_39395012

I saw that one too, as if it's so hard to figure out how to eat keto. Take my money! Haha
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,223 Member
    Options

That little. I have seen it more times than I wish to count. Usually it is done by newbies who are all excited about Keto, just like newbies who are all excited about IF doe the same thing. I'm sure I did it when I started out as well. Both are valid ways of eating, along with many others, but they are not the only way to lose. When it comes to eating plans and patterns, one size doesn't fit all.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    Newmeadow, I found another. 3 page. 3 reply and so on from peacefulkancer?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10544739/am-i-the-only-one-who-cant-lose-weight/p3

Okay, I read your exchanges with her on that thread. She initially said "you can eat as much meat as you want on keto" but backtracked and corrected herself when you brought to her attention that you can't eat as much meat as you want if you're trying to lose. She did say this "Regardless of diet the path to weight loss is based on calories in vs calories out." But you were right to point out to her that the whole "you can eat as much meat as you want on keto" was bad weight loss advice. And you said it directly but respectfully, imo.

I see this particular thread as informative, with both sides having their say in a occasionally tense but constructive way.

Thank you. But it does crop once in awhile. I did see one last week that told the op, who was not asking about macros, that to help her lose weight fast she should try keto. I can't find that one yet but I'll keep looking.
This discussion has been closed.