Macro Nutrient Goals for Losing Fat/Gaining Muscle?

Options
I estimate I've got roughly 40 lbs of fat I need to lose, and 10-20 lbs of muscle I want to gain. I realize that at a certain point, you can really only do one or the other (lose fat or gain muscle), but as I've been sedentary for several months I think I should be able to pack on some initial muscle mass, even at a calorie deficit.

I'm pretty set on my exercise plan; mainly weight lifting and several hours of cardio per week.

But after some research, I'm getting some different opinions on what diet will work best. There's a consensus on high protein, but some people advocate low carbs, while others advocate low fat.

Do you think 40% (protein) - 30% (carbs) - 30% (fat) makes sense? I'm a little weary to drastically cut any macro nutrient as I imagine that could have detrimental health effects...

I'm an "ectomorph," if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance to any advice or opinions.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you're brand new to lifting there will be a bit of muscle gain while you lose, but not a significant amount.

Macros are a personal preference. As long as you're getting at least .8 grams of protein per pound of lean mass you should be fine. And no, somatotypes don't make any difference. They aren't even a thing.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I'd personallt drop the prorein down to 30% and put that 10% onto carbs to give me 40% carbs, and 30% for protein and fats. Why? You really don't need more than 1 -1.5 gms of protein per kilo of weight, even if you are doing some serious weights and also protein is expensive and will add extra to your budget.
    The decision is up to you though and what you find works best.