Cold water bath

Options
I just tried my first cold water bath after a 12.2 mile run on a warm, sunny spring day in the mitten. I was surprised to find I enjoyed it. The getting in part sucked, lol a lot. But once you're in it actually feels pretty good on the achy tired muscles and joints! Made it the full 20 minutes easily. Now I'm curious to see if it helps my recovery.
Anyone else out there use this; what have you noticed?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I have done them after some of my longer hikes. I know the research is inconclusive, but the mental factor of how I feel, and seem to ache less, is enough foe me. The 1st 3 minutes are definitely the worst.
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Tried it to overcome initial soreness after not lifting for years. It was a distraction technique for me but I'd do it again
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I started with 1 to 2 minutes cold showers and now I only take cold showers. I never tried a cold bath though. I will definitely try it though. Cold showers not only help with soreness after a run or workout but also had helped me a lot with stress and anxiety.
  • cforsyth617
    cforsyth617 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    haven't been brave enough planning to try it in the summer
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I used to do ice baths after football games. Pretty much sucked the whole time, but it definitely help me get back to normal quicker.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    No effing way :tongue: I freak out if i don't turn the hot and cold water tap off in unison when I'm in the shower, and i get a split second blast of cold water!
  • Iwannabfit76
    Iwannabfit76 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Cryotherapy!!! -160 degrees for 3 minutes and better benefits! Can burn up to 700 calories. I did it twice this week, going back for 2 more sessions.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I've done ice baths with regularity, when I was running crazy long distances. It definitely helped reduce pain and let me sleep. I've gotten out of the habit, in the past few years. A friend had an outdoor tub installed when he had a deck built. The idea being that he could do the ice or cold bath immediately after his runs. Another friend had an ice machine installed in his garage. I have strange friends.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Cryotherapy!!! -160 degrees for 3 minutes and better benefits! Can burn up to 700 calories. I did it twice this week, going back for 2 more sessions.

700 calories in 3 minutes? You what??
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I think you're talking about something very different from OP. I'm not going to comment on the overstated claims.

OP, I have only ever had cold showers in places that didn't offer hot ones. Never tried a cold bath. If it works for you, great. You are braver than I.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried ice baths and there is some research that suggests it slows recovery time over all.

As for the cryo if that were true then we've solved the obesity crisis.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

:huh:
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Love all of the replies, had a good laugh at a few of them! :)
    @RuNaRoUnDaFiEld I have not heard that before but I will hop on over to some good peer reviewed sites I know and check it out. Appreciate the insight.
    Overall I think I'm less sore today than I would be normally after a long run. But I also have been building my nutrition knowledge over the last year greatly and have been applying it more and more so that contributes too. Going to give it another shot in the future though!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Lol, you're still buying into that woo. If you could actually burn 700 calories in 3 minutes, why the hell would people even eat less? You could muster through 6 minutes and have a whole day's worth of food eating all wrapped up.
    People who actually read this..............................it's BS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Cold/ice baths have been used for therapy on muscles for years. It's legit, though one has to get used to doing it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    After my first half marathon that I severely undertrained for, I did a step further with an ice bath. It was so wonderful and awful at the same time.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I'd never heard of it. Maybe worth a try.

I did a few trips into the 44°F river last week after some time at 106°F. It was an expected shock followed by a nice calming experience.
  • pzarnosky
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    After my first half marathon that I severely undertrained for, I did a step further with an ice bath. It was so wonderful and awful at the same time.

Yes! Such mixed emotions! And my poor dog was outside the bathroom whining the whole time; probably because it sounded like I was in pain during the submersion process lol!
  • pzarnosky
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Cold/ice baths have been used for therapy on muscles for years. It's legit, though one has to get used to doing it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's why I wanted to try it. I have known about it for a long time but never had the guts and grit to convince myself it would be worthwhile :) From a biology/biochemistry perspective it really has solid arguments in favor of it but I will see, as suggested by another member, what the arguments are against it and if they have any evidence to back them.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    The closest I have come is jumping in the lake after a long hike. Spring fed lake so the water is usually nice and cool. It does feel good on the muscles and I seem to be less stiff. Whether it is placebo or me relaxing, or actual help with recovery I am not sure.