Osteoporosis

Options
I have been diagnosed with Osteoporosis and I have to up my calcium in take. Has anyone on this forum got any suggestions for diet and also special exercises I can do to loose weight (I have about 10lbs to loose). Many thanks.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Weight bearing exercises like walking, hiking or running outside and lifting heavy weights for you.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    The best sources for calcium are food. Studies show that calcium from food is better absorbed than calcium from supplements. It can be found in a wide variety of foods like yogurt, cheese, milk, salmon, all kinds of leafy greens and vegetables etc. Excess caffeine, alcohol and sodas can adversely affect calcium levels in the body. Your best exercises are weight bearing exercises and rigourous physical activity.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    ::;
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Please ignore if this is not the case :smile: But do you drink soda? The reason i ask is because my mums osteo doctor pretty much banned her from drinking it, she used to drink it a lot. He told her that if she continued drinking it, it will just make her condition worse.

She takes a basic vitD/calcium tablet, plus fish oil daily.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Weight bearing exercises, especially strength training, is beneficial for bone density.
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Weight bearing exercises, especially strength training, is beneficial for bone density.

YES! Hit the weight room. My mother actually reversed her damage after adding in a weight training class to her calcium suppliments.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Got milk? :#
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Weight bearing exercise, calcium supplements, AND Vitamin D supplements. This is what my doctor suggested. My bone density has slightly increased since.
  • copperowl
    copperowl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have it as well. I also have osteoarthritis as well. I take meds also watch what I eat. Exercise is variable. Depends how I'm feeling. How much stiffness and pain your in. Don't let anyone judge you that's the 1st thing. Try to eat well and move about even if it's just a walk every day. The weight will come off. Yes it's slower. Years ago I lost 10st. I was able to do vigorous exercises then. Sadly times have changed but I still want to keep my body well fueled and mobile. You can't your health. The earlier you learn that the better.
    Anyway if you ever want a chat huni to keep you going feel free to add me xx
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,147 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with Osteoporosis and I have to up my calcium in take. Has anyone on this forum got any suggestions for diet and also special exercises I can do to loose weight (I have about 10lbs to loose). Many thanks.

I agree with the recommendation of weight bearing exercises, including strength training. However, do ask your doctor before you start any heavy lifting program because if you have osteoporosis in the spine (vertebrates), you may aggravate the condition.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Talk to your dr. I doubt dietary changes at this point will help. Usual recommendation is a combination of medication/supplements and exercise.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    At age 77, my mother started working with a trainer at a gym due to her osteoporosis.

The very high amounts of walking/gardening/swimming, etc., she normally does was insufficient weight-bearing exercise for her.