Embarrassing constipation!

Options
So a friend been alot constipated this week! Anyone know of any home remedies that get it moving good again? Asking for a friend...lol

Replies

• cozytimes
    cozytimes Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    - water. lots of it.
    - prune juice
    - black coffee
    - senna tea, ballerina/california tea
    (careful with this one!)
    - more fiber, vegetables, and protein
    - water and lemon
  • edwill3456
    edwill3456 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Your friend should be eating more fiber and drinking more water that's pretty much it.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    NaturalCalm http://naturalvitality.com/natural-calm-plus-calcium/

This helps me get moving again.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, take the 10 fruits/ vegetable challenge. Boom!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    More fibre which also means more water, as high fibre can sometimes have the opposite effect if you don't drink adequate water alongside.

Magnesium- 400-600mg before bed.

Fat- Make sure you're eating enough fat.

Black coffee with a teaspoon of coconut oil added first thing in the morning.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Water, fiber, and a long vigorous walk.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Is your friend also low carb like you? I had terrible constipation problems when i did keto, the only thing that helped was the magnesium i mentioned above, as i was getting plenty of fat.
  • Misskcm
    Misskcm Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Fiber!! I just had to buy some fiber gummy supplements for the same reason.
    Flax seed works wonders too!!

I noticed when I started eating fewer calories is when I started having problems even when eating fiber rich foods.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    For some reason probiotics always get me moving....
  • Christine_72
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    More fibre which also means more water, as high fibre can sometimes have the opposite effect if you don't drink adequate water alongside.
    Not necessarily so. I'm referring to soluble fiber such as psyllium drinks, cooked beans, pears, cooked barley. Soluble fiber needs no added water. Insoluble fiber though such as bran flakes and grains don't absorb much water and don't help with constipation much.

Oh thanks for letting me know. I force myself to drink more when i have high fibre days as I've always thought high fibre means drink more water, as i have visions of a dried out cement block in my intestines :open_mouth:

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Coffee and Miralax. Started taking magnesium. No magic yet, but just started that. I have to really get a lot of fiber and drink a lot of water (not always good at that).
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Taco bell or McD fish filet does it for me
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Relser wrote: »
    Taco bell or McD fish filet does it for me

They should include that benefit in their commercials...they would attract a whole new market segment.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    coffee works for me...but it has to be hot. Iced coffee doesn't seem to help me.

Magnesium helps as well. So does psyllium husk in a glass of water.

• ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I drink two glasses of room temperature water in the morning. (Room temperature water gets absorbed faster since it does not have to warm up.)

Chase the water with your morning coffee.

It takes about a half hour. Don't eat breakfast until later as eating prevents your stomach from releasing the water right into your intestines and colon since it has to start digesting the food.

This works 75% of the time for me.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I second the Magnesium route. Works well but isn't a laxative that your body can adjust to over time etc.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    How does an accountant cure constipation? He works it out with a pencil.

On a serious note I have had bad constipation for a number of weeks and was doing everything mentioned above but none really worked well. Ended up at the chemist today and got some Microlax (an Australian enema) which got things moving within 15 minutes from the bottom end and also had a glass of warm water with 3 teaspoons of disolved sea salt and several litres of water. It was revolting and am still waiting for the salt taste to leave my mouth, but the toilet sure has had a great workout. With hope this will be the end of it and now that they have been properly emptied they will start working normally again.

Will continue with a high fibre diet with heaps of wholegrains, fruit and vegetables, psyllium husks, water and exercise and keep fingers crossed.