I've lost 20 pounds but still feel insecure in a bikini?

Options
I'm 5'2 and have went from 155 to 135. I ultimately want to get down to 120-125 but I'm stuck at 135. We're going to the waterpark this summer but I'm afraid I'm not able to shed the last 10-15 pounds by then. I bought a new bikini to motivate myself... But I don't know. I'll post a pic with this post. What do you all think?
923nzed2ih7n.jpg

Replies

• Misskcm
    Misskcm Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I think it looks great. You could focus more on strength exercises and lifting weight for the next month if you are looking for a little more of a toned summer body. You may not necessarily lose 10 pounds but you'll look 10 pounds lighter!!
  • oneallmama
    oneallmama Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Misskcm wrote: »
    I think it looks great. You could focus more on strength exercises and lifting weight for the next month if you are looking for a little more of a toned summer body. You may not necessarily lose 10 pounds but you'll look 10 pounds lighter!!

Ooh I'll try that! I have 1-2 pound weights.. I wonder if those would work for toning my arms when I take walks?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    oneallmama wrote: »

Ooh I'll try that! I have 1-2 pound weights.. I wonder if those would work for toning my arms when I take walks?

That will not work.

You look nice. Keep at it. Confidence comes from within (sounds corny but it's true) and a tan always helps.

If you do want to learn how to achieve a different physique with lowering body fat and looking more defined, you can check out some of the strength training threads on here.
  • Misskcm
    Misskcm Posts: 143 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

That would help a little if you are actually lifting your arms while walking.. but, you could look up short full body workouts too. There's a lot of strength exercises you can do with just your body weight. Squats, burpees, push-ups, lunges, ab work, yoga, etc.
    this is one of my favorite ab videos to do. It is old school and kinda cheesy but it works and works every part of your abs.. and it's on 8 minutes!! But if you don't like it there are so many videos you can find that will help.
    https://youtu.be/pNqrkGnkUWc
  • oneallmama
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

That will not work.

You look nice. Keep at it. Confidence comes from within (sounds corny but it's true) and a tan always helps.

If you do want to learn how to achieve a different physique with lowering body fat and looking more defined, you can check out some of the strength training threads on here.

I'll definitely read around on the strength training threads! And I'll also work on that tan once I get a lounge chair to lay out in!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Since you feel insecure about this, you can wear a style of suit that helps you feel more secure. There Is no rule that you have to wear a bikini, even at a waterpark. If you want to, fine, but there is no reason to wear something that makes you feel insecure. Life is too short for that!
    PS I'm not sure that suit would fit you after losing another10-15 lbs.
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I say go for it. Wish I wore bikinis at your age while the skin is nice and no wrinkles lol. Yes, a little tanning would look good and just do some push ups every day and squats at home to tone up. Enjoy yourself!!
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    You are already in good shape and have had great success. Maybe do a simple HIIT workout a few days a week and you will likely get to your goals with the calorie deficit. Requires no special equipment. If you have a gym with classes near you another option is a kettle bell class. Hard but gets results.

22 minute HIIT

24 burpees with pushups
    24 mountain climbers
    24 ab crunches

Take a 30 second break then do the same exercise dividing the rep by 2 until you get to 1 and are done.
  • oneallmama
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Since you feel insecure about this, you can wear a style of suit that helps you feel more secure. There Is no rule that you have to wear a bikini, even at a waterpark. If you want to, fine, but there is no reason to wear something that makes you feel insecure. Life is too short for that!
    PS I'm not sure that suit would fit you after losing another10-15 lbs.

Yeah if I lost another 10-15 pounds I'm almost certain I'd be too small for the bikini I bought :smile: I have one-pieces in my arsenal of bathing suits so maybe I'll go in my one-pieces for a while until I'm tan enough and lost a little bit more weight to feel comfortable in my bikini.
  • oneallmama
    Options
    qweck3 wrote: »
    You are already in good shape and have had great success. Maybe do a simple HIIT workout a few days a week and you will likely get to your goals with the calorie deficit. Requires no special equipment. If you have a gym with classes near you another option is a kettle bell class. Hard but gets results.

22 minute HIIT

24 burpees with pushups
    24 mountain climbers
    24 ab crunches

Take a 30 second break then do the same exercise dividing the rep by 2 until you get to 1 and are done.

I'll try the HIIT you suggested... But there's one problem, I can't do a push up lol.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    qweck3 wrote: »

22 minute HIIT

24 burpees with pushups
    24 mountain climbers
    24 ab crunches

I'll try the HIIT you suggested... But there's one problem, I can't do a push up lol.

The exercises he described are to burn calories. You can do whatever exercise you like to burn calories. It's also not really HIIT.
  • Big_YEET
    Big_YEET Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You look great IMO. Lots of girls are probably going to be at the water park having fun, with bodies just like yours, and a lot more with jiggly thighs, stretch marks, cellulite and tummy rolls not caring what anyone thinks. You have absolutely nothing to be insecure about! You could probably lose the 10-15 lbs by summer with strict enough diet + exercise, if it would make you feel more confident in the bikini.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You do look good.
    I wore my bikini around the house until I was comfortable wearing it. I also spent time in the garden getting a bit of colour all over.

A body weight routine would help. Look up nerdfitness. They have a simple beginners bodyweight routine. And if you can't do a push-up off the floor do it against the wall, kitchen counter, table, chair, stair, and eventually you will get to the floor.
    Adapt exercises until you are strong enough to do then as written.

I know you are looking to wear the bikini this summer, and do- you look good, but working long term on improving your strength and body composition is just good for you.

Cheers, h.

Here is nerdfitness
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Here is a routine you can do with the weights you have.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY

Both have other good workouts too. h.
  • oneallmama
    Options
    You do look good.
    I wore my bikini around the house until I was comfortable wearing it. I also spent time in the garden getting a bit of colour all over.

A body weight routine would help. Look up nerdfitness. They have a simple beginners bodyweight routine. And if you can't do a push-up off the floor do it against the wall, kitchen counter, table, chair, stair, and eventually you will get to the floor.
    Adapt exercises until you are strong enough to do then as written.

I know you are looking to wear the bikini this summer, and do- you look good, but working long term on improving your strength and body composition is just good for you.

Cheers, h.

Here is nerdfitness
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Here is a routine you can do with the weights you have.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY

Both have other good workouts too. h.

Just watched through and wow!!! I'll def do the nerdfitness workout before my walks! Thanks for sharing!
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and have went from 155 to 135. I ultimately want to get down to 120-125 but I'm stuck at 135. We're going to the waterpark this summer but I'm afraid I'm not able to shed the last 10-15 pounds by then. I bought a new bikini to motivate myself... But I don't know. I'll post a pic with this post. What do you all think?
    923nzed2ih7n.jpg
    First and foremost, I think you look great in a bikini. (Whether you lose the extra 10-15 you are looking to or not).

Second, do not worry at being stuck at 135. Stick to the calorie deficit and weight you desire will come off. Ideally ignore the extra estimated calories from exercise. Do not go consistently too far below the estimated daily calories or your body's metabolism may rebel against you.

Third, the most important part of losing the weight you want is sticking to the calorie deficit Toning, firming and different exercises will only make a noticeable difference at lower body fat %.

Best of luck.
  • erinlane93
    erinlane93 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Start weight lifting! It will completely transform your body!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You do not look like a supermodel if this is what you are comparing yourself to, you do not look bad either. People would not stare at you. You look like just an average girl with a bikini, no reason to feel bad at all.
    Then again, I do not feel there is a special "bikini body". No matter if you have a 6 pack, have never exercised, you look sickly thin or very overweight, if you like wearing a bikini, I think you should go for it.
  • RobBasss
    RobBasss Posts: 65 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    First of all you look good, for your height 135 is a healthy weight. But if you want to take it to the next level, like a few have pointed out, it's time to hit weights to help shape your body. You mentioned you cannot do a push up... well that goes directly to your lack of strength. Start incorporating weights 2x a week (Google for routines, a TON out there), start off with just 30 minute sessions and in a few months you will more defined. Be patient, gaining muscle is a SLOW process, at my age, early 40's, it take 1 month to gain 1lb if I am aggressive about it, so again be patient and by late summer you will look more amazing then you do now. Good luck.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I think the bikini looks fine...spend enough time at a public pool and you will see some extremely disturbing sights. You're not even close to disturbing.

I'm always careful about 2 pieces at water parks though. Don't want the top to pop off on a water slide.
  • ILoveGoal
    ILoveGoal Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    <3:)