Speed vs Resistance

Options
I am 53, new to exercising, and have 100 lbs to lose. I have a very busy life since I own a business. My question is ...if I only have 30 minutes per day to exercise, as I go forward, is it more effective to increase speed or levels of resistance to improve my cardio workout. Thank you for any helpful insights.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    You mean like walk faster or walk hills? I think you could do both, just switch it up. Variety is a good thing.
  • ericabrizzi3380
    ericabrizzi3380 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Resistance will help develop muscle, the more lean muscle mass you have the more calories you burn through out the day. Speed increases the heart rate to achieve the results of being in a fat burning zone. Either way you are gaining muscle or contributing to fat loss.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    In cycling a higher cadence is often associated with higher efficiency or more speed for free. But in weight loss you aren't looking for efficiency. You burn the most calories when you are the least efficient. So, head for the hills.
  • TheChaoticBuffalo
    TheChaoticBuffalo Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I do both. My cardio is stationary bike three times a week and rowing machine three times a week. With both, I do one-minute sprints several times during my time on the machine, and I increase the resistance over time as my strength increases. You don't have to pick one or the other and keep things at that level going forward. Cardio as part of a long-term weight loss program should be a long-term, adjustable process as well. Experiment as you start out. Find what combination works best for you, and then adjust as you progress. Just don't overdo things in an attempt to garner quick results. That'll just lead to injury, exhaustion, and burnout. Keep it sustainable, and the results will follow.