Road racing - London marathon

Options
MeanderingMammal
MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
edited April 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
So apparently there is some kind of big road race up in that London today. Really low key event it seems...

Anyway, anyone who's there will already been at the start line. But good luck nonetheless.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

I'm just eating my porridge then I'm going to watch it, and think about what's so bad about running 40-50 miles a week with 20 miles on a Saturday... it's not like I have much of a social life anyway...
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You can start with about 30mpw. And for a beginner plan you're mainly going to be in the 16-18 range with a couple of 20s in there.

That said, big city events fill me with dread. Too busy.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    You can start with about 30mpw. And for a beginner plan you're mainly going to be in the 16-18 range with a couple of 20s in there.

Saying things like that isn't helping :laugh:

It looks crazy busy...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I can't get my head around the elite athletes running 5 minute mile pace for two hours.
    Astonishing what (some!) human bodies are capable of.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

It looks crazy busy...

Four runs a week, three ten milers and a long run...

YKIMS
  • TavistockToad
    Options

It looks crazy busy...

YKIMS

10 miles is a hour and 40 minutes... after work :noway: ... well.... maybe..... :laugh:
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

It looks crazy busy...

YKIMS

10 miles is a hour and 40 minutes... after work :noway: ... well.... maybe..... :laugh:

Once I'm properly over being ill I'm looking forward to getting back to it.

My big worry at the moment is a 12 hour in two weeks time with minimal training
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Just wondering who would run in London if the alternative is Vienna or Hamburg?

Three Big Runs on just one day! Marathon has truly become a mass-phenomenon.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I can't get my head around the elite athletes running 5 minute mile pace for two hours.

The elites are phenomenal, but when they dedicate their lives to it you can see why they get the results.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

I know, it's crazy isn't it, absolutely blows my mind!
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Seventh London victory for the Weirwolf

London Marathon 2017: David Weir wins men's wheelchair race - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/disability-sport/39683752
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

London is a World Major Marathon. It will be on a lot of people's bucket lists.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I'd happily take the elite women's finishing time as my time for my half in a few weeks... :laugh:
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I ran 14 miles this morning slower than the elite women ran a full marathon. They are so impressive to me.

I'm with you @MeanderingMammal fills me with dread.

I'll stick with quiet unknown trail halfs.

Don't think my bones would allow me to do a full. And as for a 12 hour, that is just awesome.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    I would enjoy running London or Paris. Money makes any international races pretty unlikely for me. However, I also have concerns about the really huge races. The main thing that may keep me from Boston next year is fear of running in a crowd. All my previous marathons were less than 300 people. Running with 30,000 is a whole different kettle of fish.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

Once I'm properly over being ill I'm looking forward to getting back to it.

My big worry at the moment is a 12 hour in two weeks time with minimal training

you'll be fine. I'll be there cheering you on and think of the rubber squeaky toy you get at the end of it!!!! :D
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

it was also Ironman Texas in the US