Advice on saying "No Thanks" for office snacks

Options
Hi Guys,
ADVICE PLEASE!! Today is the first day my office had birthday snacks that I politely said no thanks too......since starting back up using MFP I really wanted to make sure that I didn't add any extra calories from all the office snacking. Two people asked why I wasn't having any....the first one I just said I wasn't having any today....the second I just said Im not in the mood for that snack today. So my question is, has anyone else had to deal with this and how do you tell them with out saying IM ON A DIET? It was a little annoying when the second person asked since all eyes seemed to be on me at that time, I really didn't know what to say, I didn't feel like I needed to share with the whole office that I am counting calories. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Replies

• sorcha1977
    sorcha1977 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I just say, "No, thank you." If they push, I just say, "Thank you for offering, but I'm okay," and then I change the subject or say I have work to finish up and turn back toward my monitor. That makes it pretty clear the conversation is over without being rude.
  • alimarie53
    alimarie53 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I just simply say "No thank you." If they ask why I say, "I'm cutting back on sweets." If they ask why again I say, "Just a lifestyle change I'm working on." Any additional pressure or questions I just laugh off. Don't give into the pressure!
  • dragon1ady
    dragon1ady Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Depending on what the snack is, if the person won't accept a simple, "thanks but no thanks" I can usually get away with referencing my lactose intolerance. If I don't know if there's milk in the snack in question, I'm not going to risk it.

My lactose intolerance isn't that severe, but the way I see it, my pushy co-workers don't need to know that. :wink:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    "No thanks."

You don't need to explain anything. If they press, say you're not hungry, or you might take some home for later, which you conveniently forget to do. Also, there's no shame involved in saying you're watching what you eat.
  • rose228822
    rose228822 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I will just say that I've eaten and not hungry right now but then add it looks great or something nice and walk away.
    Also, maybe bring in a healthier snack if you guys take turns.
    Be polite but stay firm and they will eventually get the picture:smile:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If I want to look like you- I'd eat like you.

I can't stand when people get pushy with me. I am VERY opinionated about that these things. I have strong self discipline and when I decied to not eat something I don't. And you cant' change my mind... most people who are like that are weak minded and weak character individuals - and they just want to make themselves feel better- even if it means guilt tripping/manipulating you.

Just say no. Make the decision to not eat them- and say they look delicious but no thank you.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I just say "no thanks." Generally that's enough in my office. If someone presses it, I politely decline again (and again, until they get the point if necessary).

I do find it interesting that, culturally, people seem conditioned to feel guilty about refusing offers of food. I can see maybe a little regret if it is obviously a planned gift specifically for you that was made with a lot of thought... but if it is just office treats for a birthday or other random stuff, there should be no regret in doing what you want to do.
  • blossomnu
    blossomnu Posts: 65 Member
    Options

I would be incredibly hurt if anyone I worked with said that to me. In some places I can imagine that being interpreted as a low-level form of bullying.
  • lozadee
    lozadee Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Your going out after work?
    Not feeling too good?
    Not in the mood?
    You've got a headache?
    Your saving your snacks for the weekend?

Universal excuses to most things :love: :love: :love:
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Oy i know exactly how you feel about this one. My office is the WORST when it comes to keeping junk food around. Donuts Cakes candy cookies "pot luck days" team lunches etc etc and they are persistent about offering too sometimes even the next day.... Yesterday was an NSV for me cause as usual boss brought donuts and walked around letting everybody know... .there were even breakfast tacos at the coffee bar (my absolute favorite!)

it really is just a matter of SAY NO! period! no excuses and dont put them in your line of sight that has really helped lately If i cant see it Im not so tempted to get it. Pre log your food and keep your snacks for the packed and ready so you know what you have for the day and can make up for any oopsies. Eventually your office mates should get the picture and will all but stop offering junk to you and it will get much easier!
  • mommabenefield
    Options
    sorry dbl post
  • dragon1ady
    dragon1ady Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I can see maybe a little regret if it is obviously a planned gift specifically for you that was made with a lot of thought...

... in which case I would advise to accept the offered snack graciously (they went through a lot of trouble just for you, there's no need for you to be rude), and then hit your favorite cardio machine for a half hour longer than normal that evening.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    My office always has treats. Cake every Friday, breakfast treats, pizza. You name it. If someone offers me some, I just say thanks, but I am good. Maybe later. And that ends it.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Be honest. If they think you're weird, so be it. Billions of people in the world have dietary restrictions.
  • mommabenefield
    Options
    OHHH and you can always imagine (when its 'homemade' stuff) that they didn't wash their hands or spit on it or something then it will be easier to say no....

I think sometimes people aren't as offended when we refuse an offer as we think they are. There's always so many people willing to say yes, one person that says no isn't a criminal offense and if you feel you absolutely feel you must accept literally JUST taste like the size of a Hershey's Kiss taste.

anyway thats enough of my two cents for today
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I would be incredibly hurt if anyone I worked with said that to me. In some places I can imagine that being interpreted as a low-level form of bullying.

First- that's not the first thing I say- first thing I say is no thank you.

Secondly
    meh- not my problem. Toughen up.
    it's totally a true statement.

You were the one pushing (and I say that if someone is truly PUSHING- not just if someone offered it to me). It's one thing to offer a treat- but it's a complete seperate issue to KNOW someone is trying to adjust their diet and continue to be rude and pushy about treats- even if they are home made. It's just rude. So if someone wants to treat me like that- guess what.... you aren't going to get the polite no thank you. I'll be polite the first few times- but after that no way. I look amazing- and no one else in my office does and they know it. And they know why. It's no secret.

Someone told me once "oh that's right- you're trying to be a size zero"

get the F out. I don't tolerate "reverse" pushiness. I speak up for myself.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I have worked in several large and small offices.
    One consistent rule is that the fattest people run towards available food.

Just say no thanks. Say you don't like to snack. Its that simple.
  • Heavybetty
    Heavybetty Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice!!!! I had already logged my meals for the day and didn't have much to spare for snacking calories.....I looked up the treat before I headed to the conference room it was going to be 460 calories!!!! OUCH so I knew I absolutely had to pass if I wanted to eat supper tonight hehehe!!!! I did plan ahead of time what to say but when the second person asked me I hadn't planned for that!! I figured refusing once would be enough.....I'll be ready next time! Thanks again!:smile:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    .the first one I just said I wasn't having any today....the second I just said Im not in the mood for that snack today

it sounds like those phrases are working. just keep using them.

over and over with different people. it's okay.

You're feeling like it's the borg coming at you and you need to change up your answer. you don't.

if you didn't "feel like" a snack 10 minutes ago when bob asked no reason why your feelings had to change now that d!ck is asking.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,502 Member
    Options
    Like most posters here, I just say "no, thanks." If they get pushy, I turn it around on them and start acting like their behavior is kind of bizarre. "Why is this so important to you? Why do you care if I eat it or not? You're acting kind of strange - is something wrong?"

But then, I have absolutely no problem with returning rudeness with rudeness. <shrug>