Protein

Options
2»

Replies

• abs1970
    abs1970 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I usually have a shake after training, and sometimes another before bed just to top up my protein. As hard as I try, it's not easy to fill my quota with food alone!
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    I have a shake before training and one afterwards simply because we work out early in the morning and I dont have time to eat before. Also, I struggle to make my protein goal with real food lol
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    Usually have one shake a day, 40 grams of protein. Most of the time in the morning when I don't have a ton of time to make breakfast. That and a banana put me in line to hit my macros the rest of the day.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Personally, needing 200 grams of protein a day, some powder in some water or milk, is a necessity for me. Yes, I could "eat" 200 grams of protein, but meat ain't cheap and my schedule isn't really conducive to eating five or six meals a day.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    pbryd wrote: »
    I think there's a bit of a trend here for people to quickly jump in and say 'eat real food'.

I take two scoops of whey giving me 40g of protein when I finish working out 3x weekly. It's a cheap source of protein, is easily digestible and convenient. I don't class it as a supplement at all, it's food in my book.

I have one scoop added to 12oz of milk for breakfast, after my workout and before bed. It's tasty, cheap, and allows me to easily meet my protein goals. I actually think it's not only "food" but a treat. lol

Me too! I mix whey protein isolate with chocolate almond milk and I love it! I don't see why it's any less a food than chocolate milk,which is often recommended on this forum.
    I do also struggle to hit my protein target just by eating "complete" proteins. I know that vegetables also contain protein but if I ate enough of those there'd be no room for anything else. I have a gut disorder which means I have to limit things like pulses and nuts. So for me,it's protein powder for the win.
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    40 to 60 grams after a workout u can up to 3 shakes a day I do agree that real food is good - but shakes are digested better too home made ones are just as good too milk eggs peanut butter almond flour power milk honey oatmeal flour works too
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I am a "real food" advocate, but I don't have any problem with a shake or two. I'm currently eating 180 g of protein - 5 whole food meals a day, and a post wo shake and greek yogurt/whey/peanut butter as my least meal. 45 g scale weight.
    I'm already eating a variety of protein sources daily - eggs, ground beef, turkey, and chicken. Two more meals is not only a lot of extra prep, but also a lot of meat to eat every day. I'm cutting and it's a lot of food, I can only imagine what a large guy bulking would be like.
    So yes, I have no problem with supplementing. The only issue I have is when people get the majority of their protein from bars or shakes. If you're having 6 servings of bars/shakes, it might be time to rethink.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    pbryd wrote: »
    I think there's a bit of a trend here for people to quickly jump in and say 'eat real food'.

I take two scoops of whey giving me 40g of protein when I finish working out 3x weekly. It's a cheap source of protein, is easily digestible and convenient. I don't class it as a supplement at all, it's food in my book.

I have one scoop added to 12oz of milk for breakfast, after my workout and before bed. It's tasty, cheap, and allows me to easily meet my protein goals. I actually think it's not only "food" but a treat. lol

Me too! I mix whey protein isolate with chocolate almond milk and I love it! I don't see why it's any less a food than chocolate milk,which is often recommended on this forum.
    I do also struggle to hit my protein target just by eating "complete" proteins. I know that vegetables also contain protein but if I ate enough of those there'd be no room for anything else. I have a gut disorder which means I have to limit things like pulses and nuts. So for me,it's protein powder for the win.

To me it's a matter of convenience. I'm up at 5:00am - walk the dog. Get ready for work, slam a protein shake, take my vitamins and "stuff" and grab my lunch and breakfast I prepared the night before - out the door. I try to eat my prepared breakfast at my desk at work before it gets busy with researchers and calls - but after that, I have a 30 minute lunch break at noonish and then home, walk the dog, grab the wife and off to the gym. Get home at about 7pm. Eat dinner and then it's time to start getting ready for the next day. I've tried to "eat" my protein, but with my schedule it's very hard. Trying to cram 200g+ into 3 meals means HUGE meals. I'm a skinny 212# 6'1" male who is on a bulk and protein shakes are very convenient. I also happen to like chocolate milk - so bonus. :wink:

I really wish I had the kind of job or schedule that would allow me to easily fit in 5-6 smaller meals - but that's not going to happen. lol