Losing weight as a disabled person

Options
Hi, I'm Nana, I'm a wheelchair user and I'm 22. My 'getting healthier journey' started when my doctor told me I was overweight in December. I was 68/9kg and since then I've lost 7/8 kgs mainly through diet. I'm on 1,242 calories and I got this number by calculating my BMI (on the NHS website). However, I've started to notice that I'm plateauing, I still have 14kgs to go. It would be great to hear from other disabled people (and able-bodied people too) on how they're getting on. If you have tips, please share them!

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh all of your food with a foods scale? If not, you are likely eating more than you think.
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    If you make your food diary public, comments can be more specific.

How long have you been on your journey? Weight loss is not liner and so if it's not been that long, it might take a few weeks to start seeing results.

Are you logging accurately and picking the correct database entries? There are a lot of rogue entries in there. Weight every single thing you eat to the gram and pick the correct entry to log it accurately. For liquids, measure them to the millilitre (except water.) Things like salad dressing and nuts and seeds can add up really quickly if you aren't keeping track. The oil you cook things in? Log that too. It seems like a lot at first but not being accurate about logging is the main reason people don't lose weight
  • nanagetshealthier
    nanagetshealthier Posts: 29 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    If you make your food diary public, comments can be more specific.

How long have you been on your journey? Weight loss is not liner and so if it's not been that long, it might take a few weeks to start seeing results.

Are you logging accurately and picking the correct database entries? There are a lot of rogue entries in there. Weight every single thing you eat to the gram and pick the correct entry to log it accurately. For liquids, measure them to the millilitre (except water.) Things like salad dressing and nuts and seeds can add up really quickly if you aren't keeping track. The oil you cook things in? Log that too. It seems like a lot at first but not being accurate about logging is the main reason people don't lose weight

Hi, Emma, I started in January and I've I think I've made good progress so far considering I don't workout. However, the weight loss has slowed down and I'm starting to worry.

I don't weight all of my foods but I tend to stick to food that has already been proportioned/ weighed, as you can see from my diary.

As for liquids I mainly drink water and green tea.

Here's my food diary: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/nanagetshealthier
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,036 Member
    Options
    You do not have much to lose so progress will be slow.

How tall are you? - because your goal weight is quite low and most people will be in a healthy BMI above that..if I have read post correctly, you were 68 kg, you have lost 7/8 kg ( ie you are now about 60 kg) and you have 14 to go - my maths gets that to a goal weight of 46 kg.
    For most people that would be underweight.
  • nanagetshealthier
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Do you weigh all of your food with a foods scale? If not, you are likely eating more than you think.

elphie754 please refer to my previous reply.
  • nanagetshealthier
    Options
    You do not have much to lose so progress will be slow.

How tall are you? - because your goal weight is quite low and most people will be in a healthy BMI above that..if I have read post correctly, you were 68 kg, you have lost 7/8 kg ( ie you are now about 60 kg) and you have 14 to go - my maths gets that to a goal weight of 46 kg.
    For most people that would be underweight.

I'm quite short, I'm 4'11 and when I calculated my BMI the healthy weight range was 41.6 to 56.4kg,
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Preportioned items are legally allowed to be off by 20% on their weight. Weigh ALL solid food.
  • nanagetshealthier
    Options

Preportioned items are legally allowed to be off by 20% on their weight. Weigh ALL solid food.

I'll buy a scale tomorrow!
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    Options

I'll buy a scale tomorrow!

It doesn't have to be a big fancy one with all the bells and whistles, but a digital one works better as you don't have to guesstimate when the needle is slightly off.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Also, as you lose weight you may need to recalculate your calorie intake.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

It doesn't have to be a big fancy one with all the bells and whistles, but a digital one works better as you don't have to guesstimate when the needle is slightly off.

Agreed you can get a really good one at places like Walmart and Amazon (or whatever the equivalent is where your live) for $20 or less. My recommendation would be to get one that goes up to 10 kg (22 lb) so you can put almost any bowl, plate, or pan on it and weigh ingredients as you add them.