Calories don't seem to match loss goal.

Options
A goal of 2 lb a week gives me 1200 calories. I am starving all the time so decided to adjust my goal. A goal of 1.5 lb a week only gives me 1240 calories, but a goal of 1 lb a week gives me 1490 calories. I'm feeling perplexed. Can anyone shed some light?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    1200 is the minimum it'll give you.

0.5lbs is 250 cal deficit. Going from 1490 to 1240 is 1lb to 1.5 lb, but it won't go another 250 cals lower to reach 2lbs a week loss.

What are your stats? If you don't have much to lose, 0.5 to 1lb loss might be more realistic.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    1200 is the lowest MFP will give a woman for a calorie allowance, even if the deficit required for your chosen weight loss goal would take you below that. 1200 calories is the lowest recommended calorie allowance for women to ensure they can still meet minimum nutrition requirements.
  • hannahhenryhaas
    hannahhenryhaas Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ah. That makes sense. I have about 20 lb to lose. 1 lb a week is fine, but I'd certainly rather see it go in 10 weeks instead of twenty. I'm going to go with 1 lb for a couple weeks and then maybe up it again. Thanks!
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    also, if you do exercise you MFP has it set up to eat those cals back
  • hannahhenryhaas
    hannahhenryhaas Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    also, if you do exercise you MFP has it set up to eat those cals back

Yeah. The days I exercised and could eat more I was fine. I think I'll keep my goal lower so I get the extra calories if I need them, but then not eat back any exercise calories in days I do work out. This seems doable to me