Female Lifters, Amenorrhea and/or missed periods.

Options

Replies

• Xymheia
    Xymheia Posts: 65 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I think that's sound advice he's giving. I too would recommend to maintain your weight and stabilize your periods (if their irregularity is due to exercise/diet) before cutting again - to a weight that is sustainable year round - and general advice is not to cut at more than 20 % below maintenance. Also, you might need to eat more than 1800 for maintenance as your metabolism evens out, especially if you're doing more than three tough workouts a week, are taller than average and are fairly active during the day, on your job or even doing chores. If you're overtraining/stressed/undereating you'll likely notice some combination of: moodiness/feeling worn down, frustration, unusual cravings, lower exercise tolerance, poor sleep quality, nagging injuries, etc, in addition perhaps to irregular periods, so it'll be apparent when to take time off.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Once again, I'm gaining weight or maintaining it at best. I am not under eating. I weigh 146.6 lbs, I'm 5'4", lightly active besides heavy lifting. I have a teaching job. I'm on my feet but don't have a ton of "active" steps. No cardio. I will not wait forever to cut, as I'm edging out of the healthy weight range for my height again. I will chill for a little though, yes.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Also, I AM getting my period back. Just waiting for it to be more regular. It is not like between August and October when it completely stopped. I seem to be on a 40-45 day cycle now.
  • Xymheia
    edited April 2017
    Options
    That's great news. :) It does take a while to fully return to normal again. Somewhere around 1750-1850 kcal seems fine at your height, indeed. At 5'4" you should be able to cut to 55-59 kg or 121-130 lbs, but your ideal weight could of course be higher if your bodyfat is in the low normal right now, considering that you're lifting heavy. It's not unusual for serious lifters and athletes to weigh more than average while being fit. Cardio shouldn't hurt as long as you don't overdo it and can help you maintain weight or cut in a cycle of lower lifting volume/intensity (aimed at keeping your strength of course).
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Leanness is not the only cause of amenorrhea. I've posted about it before but energy availability is a factor in losing your period. That's the calories you eat, less the number you burn in exercise. Once you go below a certain threshhold, you tend to lose your period and it can take a long period of eating more in order to get it back and keep it. I *think* I've seen you say that you maintain at 1800 calories (is that right?) and that number seems low for your activity and body composition.

Are you a member of Lyle McDonald's bodyrecomposition.com FB group? If not, join and do a search for energy availability or amenorrhea, as there have been some good discussions about it.

So, I never said JUST being lean is a factor. I'm asking about training, and mentioning my stats so everyone knows they're not dealing with a stage ready lifter.

And if I'm eating 1800 and maintaining, how can we say I'm not eating enough? I'm also a *kitten* logger. In reality I probably eat more.

Yes I am a member of that group. I don't feel comfortable posting there until I've read more.

Sorry. Didn't mean to upset you. Nevermind.

No I'm not upset. I'm just saying. I really would like to hear if you think I'm not getting enough energy even though I'm maintaining weight. I mean, if I ate more, I'd gain, right?

Not necessarily. Our bodies can downshift, so to speak, when energy availability is low.

This is a good site to look through: http://fuelaotearoa.co.nz/educate/get-educated/the-female-athlete-triad/

From the Refuel for Life section:
    When energy availability is inadvertently or intentionally suboptimal, the human body is forced to prioritise available calories. Energy is drawn away from physiological processes and body systems that are not essential for immediate survival (e.g. growth, deposition of body fat stores and reproduction) and towards those essential for life (e.g. movement, breathing and keeping the body warm and heart pumping!)

This is also a good presentation from Brigham and Women's Hospital. The chapters 2 and 3 videos are especially relevant: http://mdvideocenter.brighamandwomens.org/specialties/orthopedic-and-arthritis/female-athlete-triad-recognition-treatment-and-prevention/item/3

Muah. Thanks.

I've actually been eating more lately. Like above 1800. I've gained weight, but then again I just started my period so I'll have to check throughout the week.

I don't know if you know I work with SideSteel. He wants me to maintain. I argued that summer is coming and if I just got my period, it might be good to start a deficit right after or during because I cannot do it leading up to my period (if I get it on time next month). We compromised on tracking carefully at 1850 this week, logging step count, watching weight and deciding together on Sunday what's best.

But yes, thank you for these. It will be my bed time reading.

I tend to agree with him about maintaining but I do understand where you are coming from. Full disclosure: I struggled a ton with under eating for my exercise level last year + what was pretty much BDD. I ended up having to quit logging for a bit and then just let myself gain some weight. My cycles were super long and still are a bit crazy (20 to 60-something days) but physically I feel much better and I know I had to do it for my health but it still sucks to have that extra weight. I'm not going to lie and say it doesn't. I'm using a small deficit and have resigned myself to having to spend this year getting back to I was last year weight-wise but I still, 2 or 3 times a day, think about using a crazy big deficit just to get there fast. However, I know it's not good for me so I am not doing it. I just keep reminding myself of how much stronger I feel right now. Feel free to PM me if you would like. No idea if I will be helpful but I'm happy to chat :)
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    Dunno if this helps, but I went through a ~7 month period of amenorrhea at the end of last year that just got more and more symptomatic over time. I've always weight trained 4-5x/week. I was trying (unsuccessfully) to lose weight. I'm also not super lean, likely higher BF than you are. First 4 months, started out with just irregular periods. Weight was maintaining at 1600, so I dropped my calories a little more. Developed hormonal cystic acne, anxiety, and insomnia and lost my period completely for the last 2 months. Suddenly couldn't even look at dairy or soy without breaking out. Weight was still maintaining. Didn't change my programming throughout. Even sadder, my strength pretty much plateaued, even lost a bit on my bench.

Anyway, since then I'm eating more and still maintaining. No longer amenorrheic. I dropped my training volume slightly (it was not very high to begin with). Stress is a little more under control. At the time, I was pretty stressed mentally, plus some self-worth issues; though I couldn't tell you how much of it was from the havoc of hormones. IMO, it was more an issue of total stress load, physiological and psychological. Lifting is a physiological stress, after all, so if that's happening on top of whatever else, it could tip the scales. I know that's vague. I actually hope you find out its something specific like a vit deficiency, so you can just pop a pill and be done with it.

I can't respond in full at the moment but this is basically me. I tried to lose weight and that's when it happened. And I wasn't losing either.

Yeah, I just accepted that losing was not in the cards for me at the time. It was not an easy thing to accept, either. So, I started doing the whole reverse dieting thing, just gradually upping calories. I did gain at first (that was rough), but it seems stable now, and I'm eating MUCH more than I was when "maintaining" while amenorrheic. Can't say exactly how much, cause I'm not logging, but seems like night and day. It's been 4 normal cycles for me now, so far so good.

I know EXACTLY what you mean about being jealous of ppl's TDEEs. I remember how miserable it was to be meticulously logging, feeling perpetually hungry, hormones out of whack, not knowing if they were making me crazy, or if I was just crazy; and not getting an inch closer to the one thing your effort is going towards. And then to hear someone talk about how much more they must be burning to be losing at the rate they are, so how can I be eating so little... or to hear how its just simple math, so why can't I do it... ugh.

My stats are super close to yours. I'm 5'3, ~136lbs. I'm asian, so already 'overweight' by asian bmi standards. Best guess is around 23% BF, from picture comparisons and calipers (done by myself, so take with a grain of salt). So, I don't think its unreasonable to want to lose a bit. Anyway, I decided that everything's got to be on point before I try cutting again. So cycle, sleep, stress, all of that. I'm going to pour over the links jemhh posted and see if I can't be a little more informed going into it.
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Dunno if this helps, but I went through a ~7 month period of amenorrhea at the end of last year that just got more and more symptomatic over time. I've always weight trained 4-5x/week. I was trying (unsuccessfully) to lose weight. I'm also not super lean, likely higher BF than you are. First 4 months, started out with just irregular periods. Weight was maintaining at 1600, so I dropped my calories a little more. Developed hormonal cystic acne, anxiety, and insomnia and lost my period completely for the last 2 months. Suddenly couldn't even look at dairy or soy without breaking out. Weight was still maintaining. Didn't change my programming throughout. Even sadder, my strength pretty much plateaued, even lost a bit on my bench.

Anyway, since then I'm eating more and still maintaining. No longer amenorrheic. I dropped my training volume slightly (it was not very high to begin with). Stress is a little more under control. At the time, I was pretty stressed mentally, plus some self-worth issues; though I couldn't tell you how much of it was from the havoc of hormones. IMO, it was more an issue of total stress load, physiological and psychological. Lifting is a physiological stress, after all, so if that's happening on top of whatever else, it could tip the scales. I know that's vague. I actually hope you find out its something specific like a vit deficiency, so you can just pop a pill and be done with it.

I can't respond in full at the moment but this is basically me. I tried to lose weight and that's when it happened. And I wasn't losing either.

I know EXACTLY what you mean about being jealous of ppl's TDEEs. I remember how miserable it was to be meticulously logging, feeling perpetually hungry, hormones out of whack, not knowing if they were making me crazy, or if I was just crazy; and not getting an inch closer to the one thing your effort is going towards. And then to hear someone talk about how much more they must be burning to be losing at the rate they are, so how can I be eating so little... or to hear how its just simple math, so why can't I do it... ugh.

I'm 5'6" 127 lbs and my tdee is 2250, but I work for that! I lift, run, do Crossfit, and walk, walk, walk! Yesterday my tdee was around 2700 because I took 24000 steps (including running 7 miles). I think my tdee without all that is around 1700. Blah.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Once again, I'm gaining weight or maintaining it at best. I am not under eating. I weigh 146.6 lbs, I'm 5'4", lightly active besides heavy lifting. I have a teaching job. I'm on my feet but don't have a ton of "active" steps. No cardio. I will not wait forever to cut, as I'm edging out of the healthy weight range for my height again. I will chill for a little though, yes.

I'm literally the same weight and just a little bit shorter....with a similar job... (perhaps it's the music? And not the lifting?) :p

I'm currently cutting though - I was planning to compete, but fat loss was going so slow I gave up on that idea as i didn't want to reduce calories any more or do more cardio. Planning on losing til I feel good about how I look then reverse back up - I know dieting isn't the right answer, but being bigger was not a good place for me mentally....
  • bbell1985
    Options

I'm literally the same weight and just a little bit shorter....with a similar job... (perhaps it's the music? And not the lifting?) :p

I'm currently cutting though - I was planning to compete, but fat loss was going so slow I gave up on that idea as i didn't want to reduce calories any more or do more cardio. Planning on losing til I feel good about how I look then reverse back up - I know dieting isn't the right answer, but being bigger was not a good place for me mentally....

:( I was getting used to my body here and then saw you say with the same stats that being "bigger" wasn't an option. I'm going to pretend my crazy self didn't see that.
  • Xymheia
    Options
    You won't have to stay at this weight eternally though :). Just restore your health and take it a bit easier during your next cutting phase, more kcal and less workout volume/intensity, especially if you're also a bit stressed about something. A little bit of steady state cardio can help you lose a bit faster without having to drop your energy intake too much, just don't overdo it. Also make sure you're getting all nutrients you need (probably on the higher side of the RDA), which is more difficult if you're restricting calories. If you get menstrual trouble again or are unsure I would suggest visiting a sports doc who has experience with female athletes.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    edited April 2017
    Options

:( I was getting used to my body here and then saw you say with the same stats that being "bigger" wasn't an option. I'm going to pretend my crazy self didn't see that.

If you can love you as you are, that's amazing - but I got to 77kgs and felt terrible. My highest weight ever was 80kgs, pre lifting, and even though my body shape was a lot different at 77kgs after lifting it still wasn't nice to me. I put weight on around my bum and thighs especially, and was all cellulitey from my hips down. I stayed up around that weight for months, in the hope that my body would play nice, and I pretended to be ok with it but I don't think that was healthy either.

.... I'm at 66kgs now and a lot happier!
  • odc12345
    odc12345 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's probably a number of thing stress on your body. The quick fluctuations of your weight and or low body fat. When I went into the military me and a number girls had our menstruation cycle that first week even though I just finished it a week ago. After that due to the stress didn't have it for like 3 months.

Also it's common that if you body fat is low you don't get it. An example would be like super athletic gymnasts. It seems like you workout regiment/ lifestyle is shocking your body a bit and making it a bit unsynchronized.
  • nrbutton
    nrbutton Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I only lost 5 lbs in basic training and AIT in the army and was still 150 lbs after 4 months of training, but I lost my period completely for 9 months. It seemed to correlate with the rigorous training and had much less to do with the amount of body fat available. It could possibly be that your training program is stressing your body just enough.

The only thing that brought my period back was the cutting back on PT that ultimately happens once you get to your duty station.

The absence of your period is nature's way of telling you that your activity is already consuming too much of your body's energy and a pregnancy would be detrimental
  • nrbutton
    nrbutton Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Also, I AM getting my period back. Just waiting for it to be more regular. It is not like between August and October when it completely stopped. I seem to be on a 40-45 day cycle now.

As a supplement to my last post, it did take a year for my period to regulate after it came back. The first "period" I had lasted 3 weeks. I went to the doctor several times and was told everything was normal. The bleeding did finally stop but I didn't have another period for 2 months then again bled for much longer than usual. Eventually the time in between got shorter and the length of time I was bleeding got shorter until it settled into a normal pattern.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    nrbutton wrote: »
    I only lost 5 lbs in basic training and AIT in the army and was still 150 lbs after 4 months of training, but I lost my period completely for 9 months. It seemed to correlate with the rigorous training and had much less to do with the amount of body fat available. It could possibly be that your training program is stressing your body just enough.

The only thing that brought my period back was the cutting back on PT that ultimately happens once you get to your duty station.

The absence of your period is nature's way of telling you that your activity is already consuming too much of your body's energy and a pregnancy would be detrimental

My sister had a very similar situation. She may have actually gained a few pounds while at basic, but I think the stress played a huge roll. I'm not sure if she's gotten it back despite doing less PT now that she's stationed, but she's still very high stress. She wasn't extremely low bf either, she's actually been close to not making weight most of her career (she's around 5'2'' 140 lbs).
  • bbell1985
    Options

If you can love you as you are, that's amazing - but I got to 77kgs and felt terrible. My highest weight ever was 80kgs, pre lifting, and even though my body shape was a lot different at 77kgs after lifting it still wasn't nice to me. I put weight on around my bum and thighs especially, and was all cellulitey from my hips down. I stayed up around that weight for months, in the hope that my body would play nice, and I pretended to be ok with it but I don't think that was healthy either.

I can't do this conversion to lbs right now ha
  • bbell1985
    Options
    I'll reply to some more of these later. I'm at work. Very stressful job at a high risk charter school in Brooklyn....98% if where my stress comes from. I'm on prep, not ignoring children!

The thing is...I will not adjust my training. Not gonna happen...
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I have finally traced my late periods to inadvertent fasting. I've never been a been super regular, but when I finally got my period back after weaning my youngest I was very regular - pretty much like clockwork. In fact for 7 months I got my period on the 5th day of the month!

Then I started dieting to lose a few pounds. I played around with different ideas, delaying lunch as long as possible or skipping breakfast and lunch altogether. I couldn't do this regularly because I would get too hungry. Then my periods started coming late. One month I was 17 days late. I almost bought a pregnancy test. I don't know what connected the dots for me, but I'm pretty sure when I skip breakfast and lunch I know I'll be a day late for every day I do.

I'm sorry if this isn't helpful, but like others have said our lifestyle including how/when we eat definitely contributes to throwing off hormones. It seems to be such a delicate balance!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

77 kgs is about 170lbs
    66 kgs is about 145lbs..
  • bbell1985
    Options

77 kgs is about 170lbs
    66 kgs is about 145lbs..

Oh okay. So you are about my weight now. I'm OKAY here. I like about 135-137 better. My legs and butt are pretty fatty too.