Hypothyroid and Weight Loss

Options
I started seriously trying to lose weight around 90 days ago and so far I've seen about 15 pounds come off. However, I feel like I'm going much slower than anticipated because of my thyroid, has anyone else ever attempted to lose 100+ pounds with an underactive thyroid?

Replies

• melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    I haven't...but that's 5 lbs a month. Which is terrific. 1 lb a week is considered to be a good way to go. Yay you!
  • coatczech
    coatczech Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) I guess I just had hoped for this to go faster, but I know I didn't get here overnight!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh now and how much are you hoping to lose? The closer to a normal bmi you are the slower it should be

Ive lost 10lb in 4 weeks but im still over 250lb with at least 100lb to go so 2lb a week is a reasonable goal for me
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have to take medication for my thyroid, but have lost 100 lbs anyway. I still have a long way to go. My goal is 2 lbs per week; actual losses average to 1.5 lbs. While it could be partially due to the thyroid, it seems more likely to me that I'm overestimating my exercise calories.

Honestly, I decided I'm happy with the slower rate and don't want to mess with a lifestyle I'm comfortable with.
  • NEMom80
    NEMom80 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Are you properly medicated for your thyroid?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,012 Member
    Options
    15 lbs in 3 months is more than 1 lb per week - thats not slow at all. Congrats!
  • coatczech
    Options
    Currently I weight 255 and hope to lose weight down to 170. I'm all up to date on my thryoid medication :)
  • hbratset
    hbratset Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think it's really difficult to lose weight with hypothyroid. In my opinion, you are doing great!! :) In order for me to lose weight, I have noticed that I have to eat very clean, and exercise way more than some of my friends need to. I am very sluggish. According to my Dr. my thyroid levels are within normal, and I feel really good, but I have noticed a huge different in weight gain/loss since becoming hypothyroid.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    The normal thyroid range is large - so even if they are normal and you feel not right talk to your doctor - finding one who listens is key
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    73lbs lost so far and being hypothyroid aiming for 80lbs ish, total. You've lost over a lb a week that is great progress, just keep doing what you are doing it seems to be working great.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Over 100lbs gone and I have been on thyroid meds for 28 years. If you are on the right meds and doseage, you lose weght just like anyone else. Dont fall into the trap of either accepting or using your thyroid as a reason not to put 100% effort into your weght loss goals..
  • markjohnvardy
    markjohnvardy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Iv had an under active thyroid for nearly 15 years,your doing fab
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    As others have stressed - you are doing great! Don't compare your rate of loss to others - far too many variables at play here. When we start making changes we want to see results and that isn't going to be the case in biology. Do this slowly and start a system of identifying bad habits and replacing these with good habits and you'll do fine over the long term.

As for hypothyroidism, this has minimal impact on weight management, although the older medical texts and doctrines thought differently. This impacts your Resting Energy Expenditure by ~5% from clinical testing.

Similar story here. Total thyroidectomy in 2000 and went 14 years thinking I was doomed to weight gain, but found MFP in 2014 and down 60 lbs in the first year.
  • coatczech
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I just need to be more diligent about tracking and honest with myself about calories along with more consistent workouts. - The usual! I appreciate everyone's feedback :smiley: