Weightlifting to loose weight?

Options
Hi!

I am back to calorie counting and heavy lifting and again the weight is dropping off me and I'm getting stronger and stronger every week!

I know it stalls etc, I've lost over three stone doing this so excited to see what changes I can make!

Who else weight lifts for the exercise to loose weight?

Xxxx

Replies

• erinlane93
    erinlane93 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting is great, but it's the calorie deficit that is causing you to lose weight, not the lifting itself.

Yeah of course, most importantly! I just mean training wise ☺️
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I pretty much lift whether I am cutting, maintaining, gaining (also when I am growing a human, ha!). I do it because it's fun.. getting stronger and body composition results FTW.

Right now I am bulking, but soon I will be cutting (oh noes :o ).
  • deeowens867
    deeowens867 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Now your talking my game!! I LOVE lifting heavy - so empowering - and helps beat Father Time too!!!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Lifting makes your weight tight not loose! :)

I lift whether losing, gaining or maintaining because I like to feel strong and importantly I just enjoy it.
  • erinlane93
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I pretty much lift whether I am cutting, maintaining, gaining (also when I am growing a human, ha!). I do it because it's fun.. getting stronger and body composition results FTW.

Right now I am bulking, but soon I will be cutting (oh noes :o ).

Yes!!!
  • erinlane93
    Options
    Now your talking my game!! I LOVE lifting heavy - so empowering - and helps beat Father Time too!!!

Yes! You're my kind of girl!
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Lift to burn calories? No

Lift to look and feel good? Absolutely
  • erinlane93
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »

I can burn up to 1000 calories in a weightlifting session, definitely both
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    erinlane93 wrote: »

No, you can't.
  • erinlane93
    Options

No, you can't.

Here was my pull day on Saturday for example. 805ktl20peg4.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options

Unless your session is of a high intensity for 3 hours...............not likely. It would take an ungodly effort to burn 1000 calories for a 200lbs person doing cardio for an hour. And aerobic exercise burns about twice the rate that anaerobic does for the same person.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Sadly - the calculations for HR-based calorie burn are ONLY a best estimate (and even that can be fooled easily) for aerobic steady-state, same HR for 2-4 min.

If you are anaerobic, like lifting and intervals and sprinting would be, or HR all over the place like lifting and intervals - you are getting inflated calorie burn.
    And below aerobic exercise, like daily life, inflated also. (why activity trackers use step-based calorie burn then)

You'd be best served to manually log that on Fitbit as Weight lifting - that's a much better estimate - it'll be small in comparison, but that's absolutely true.

If you'd like a test to confirm, because many don't believe this, do the following.

Sit on the bench before your first serious leg lift, before even an aerobic warmup. (which you hopefully weren't including in your estimate above as lifting)
    Note your HR - that is a correct HR to supply the oxygen needed for that level of activity - sitting there.

Now do your first set of leg whatever - squats say. You can do your warmup of course.

Now sit back down and watch your HR for the 2-4 min rest - the effort of sitting there hasn't changed, but your HR probably won't go back to the level actually needed for that effort. Unless your lifting wasn't very hard.
    Now do another set, and watch again.

By the time your workout is over after the last lift - sit on bench and note HR - how long to get down to the level observed at the start?

Don't worry - cardio people get a similar effect on a long effort - cardiac drift.
    If they run at a set pace and note their HR about 5 min in after fully warmed up, and keep and then compare the exact same pace at 60 min, even if kept cool with a fan, their HR will have gone up, easily by 5-10 bpm.
    Per calculations, calories burn is higher at end, even though their level of effort is exactly the same as at the start.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

No, you can't.

Here was my pull day on Saturday for example. 805ktl20peg4.png
    I have a Charge 2 and pay no attention to calorie burn because it's mostly exaggerated. Figure for 90 minutes of hard lifting, you will burn about 600 calories at most.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• erinlane93
    edited April 2017
    Options
    So weird people are questioning what I burn in a workout? I train really hard, I'm very driven and passionate. I'm not one to sit there and look at my watch for four minutes, got no time for that haha. But thank you anyway, I'll stick to what I have been doing as it clearly works :)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    So weird people are questioning what I burn in a workout? I train really hard, I'm very driven and passionate. I'm not one to sit there and look at my watch for four minutes, got no time for that haha. But thank you anyway, I'll stick to what I have been doing as it clearly works :)
    It's not questioning it, it's just based on how the body actually works. If you're losing weight that's good, but stalls usually happen because people miscontrue actually calorie burns or intake.
    It has nothing to do if you train hard or not. The muscles you are using and the type of training will dictate how you burn calories (aerobic versus anaerobic). It's not a lie. Go check out a book on physiology.
    If you're basing it on heart rate, go watch a movie that raises your heart rate (like a horror movie) and your Charge will denote it as a higher calorie burn, but that wouldn't be the case physically.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• erinlane93
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's not questioning it, it's just based on how the body actually works. If you're losing weight that's good, but stalls usually happen because people miscontrue actually calorie burns or intake.
    It has nothing to do if you train hard or not. The muscles you are using and the type of training will dictate how you burn calories (aerobic versus anaerobic). It's not a lie. Go check out a book on physiology.
    If you're basing it on heart rate, go watch a movie that raises your heart rate (like a horror movie) and your Charge will denote it as a higher calorie burn, but that wouldn't be the case physically.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I haven't mentioned anything about heart rate. Previous person told me basically lifting doesn't burn calories. I made a comment about on certain days I can burn up to 1000 calories, accurate or not I made a statement. Putting my fork to my mouth burns calories, typing this message... I'm burning calories. Thank you for your advice.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    So just to squeeze my question in here - many people advocate lifting here and I get that it's calorie deficit that loses weight and lifting is for body comp. And also muscle will burn more calories overall right? (Like two people who weight the same but one has a greater amount of muscle will have a higher BMR? Did I get that right?) So if I'm eating at a deficit, and I can only fit one thing in, am I better to lift instead of cardio? (Assuming my goals are weight loss and body comp as opposed to cardio vascular health). Also, how do I know if I'm working "hard enough" while lifting?
  • heybales
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I haven't mentioned anything about heart rate. Previous person told me basically lifting doesn't burn calories. I made a comment about on certain days I can burn up to 1000 calories, accurate or not I made a statement. Putting my fork to my mouth burns calories, typing this message... I'm burning calories. Thank you for your advice.

You totally mentioned HR by posting the picture of Fitbit's calorie burn and HR data spread between your HR zones.

In case you didn't know - that's what the HR-based Fitbit models are doing during exercise - using HR-based calculations for calorie burn.

And that is known inflated for anaerobic non-steady state workouts - as your HR graph clearly shows bouncing all over the place.

This has nothing to do with you keeping busy during the lifting, or doing circuit training and never resting, or however you do your lifting.

It only has to do with observing what you are basing the calorie burn on - and informing you that is inflated for what you describe and HR clearly shows is the wrong type of workout to trust it on.

It does burn calories - just not that much.
  • heybales
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »
    So just to squeeze my question in here - many people advocate lifting here and I get that it's calorie deficit that loses weight and lifting is for body comp. And also muscle will burn more calories overall right? (Like two people who weight the same but one has a greater amount of muscle will have a higher BMR? Did I get that right?) So if I'm eating at a deficit, and I can only fit one thing in, am I better to lift instead of cardio? (Assuming my goals are weight loss and body comp as opposed to cardio vascular health). Also, how do I know if I'm working "hard enough" while lifting?

Some cardio is good for heart health - perhaps squeeze a hard walk in few times weekly somewhere else.

Yes, the one with more muscle, and the one working it and requiring repair of it - will have a higher BMR.

Hard enough?
    You have sets, the end of the last set should almost be getting to failure - meaning it was hard.
    You damaged the muscle - that requires repair during the rest for recovery.
    That builds the muscle back up, with proper diet and rest - stronger than it was before.
    Do enough frequency weekly, and you are making changes, and improving - meaning you progressively lift more.