LOW CARB smoothies? Not possible.

Options
People swear by smoothies but I swear they're all loaded with natural sugars and a ton of fruit. What recipes are good for those who are looking for lower carb??? :#

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Quest shake?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I'm not low carb, but if you aren't concerned about taste, just use some veg, protein powder, and flax seed.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    More veg than fruit, but nothing I'd call a smoothie will be low carb. A protein shake with greens could be. You could also do protein, greens, and avocado, plus some (not too much) full fat greek yogurt or some nuts. (I use homemade cashew milk which has some fat and is low carb.)

I do mostly veg based smoothies, however, and most of them are pretty high carb/sugar still -- I use winter squash, zucchini, cucumbers, fennel, and lots of greens (not all of these at most, usually 2 kinds of non leafy veg and then also a bunch of greens of some sort) as favorite additions, with berries and often greek yogurt.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Protein powder (choose a low/no carb brand)
    Coconut oil
    cream
    spinach
    Rasberries /blackberries if you wish.
    chia seeds
    unsweetened vanilla almond milk

Blitz it all together.
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    Avocado coconut milk
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I use a sugar free protein powder and cream.

Veggies smoothies include spinach, avocado, stevia and maybe a kiwi.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I won't say mine are low carb but they don't have a ton of fruit - 1/4 of a large banana and 1/2 cup berries is the max fruit I use. Sometimes I will sub in avocado for some or all of the banana. I also use a cup+ of spinach or a baby greens blend. I don't consider any of those bad foods unless you have a blood sugar issue. You can eliminate the banana all together and plop in some Greek yogurt and a nut butter for creaminess as well as a nice protein and fat boost. I also add ground flax seed and protein powder to mine and use either unsweetened vanilla almond milk or coconut water as the base.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    How low carb are you wanting per smoothie? And do you go by total carbs or net carbs? I may have a few recipes for you (a keto pumpkin shake and chocolate hemp shake).
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    There are a lot of low carb flavoured protein shakes out there. There's a brand of drops that can be added to change/enhance flavour, too. I cannot remember the brand, but I'm sure someone will chime in.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese and fire roasted salsa. mmm mm good. blend it up.
  • aprilb1304
    aprilb1304 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Cucumber, celery, kale, spinach, kiwi and lime- I chop it all up and keep it in bags in the freezer; I can't imagine it's that high in carbs as it's mainly veg. I usually add a chunk of ginger because I like the taste, people at work who have fruit-dense smoothies hate my green slime, but I like it! so easy to take it out the freezer and blend it :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of low carb flavoured protein shakes out there. There's a brand of drops that can be added to change/enhance flavour, too. I cannot remember the brand, but I'm sure someone will chime in.

Do you mean these @cerise_noir ? https://au.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/flavdrops/10530471.html

I use the maple and peanut butter drops.