Weighing

When's the best time to weigh? Once a week ,? Fully clothed?

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Level of dress doesn't matter as long as it's consistent. I like to record weight most mornings just after using the toilet in minimal clothing. Weighing every day tells me useful info and it doesn't bother me (too much) when it goes up or down a pound or two. I average several days to get an accurate number. I sometimes weigh without recording at night just to see what's up.

Doing this makes some people really unhappy. It isn't mandatory. You could weigh weekly, although you'd certainly see variations in excess of typical weight loss. That would bother me more!

I have heard that some people prefer measurements (waist, hips, neck, etc.) over weight. They change much more slowly and are hard to measure with the level of accuracy of body weight, but it is certainly possible to become much more fit without changing weight at all.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    when I was losing I wieghed each morning after a bio brake, same scale, same spot with just underwear and I logged my wieght every Monday morning into excel and that was my "weight". I used that to trend/adjust my program and plan

However if I knew what I know now I would log it daily and take a running 7 day average, log that Monday and trend off that. That would have better captured water wieght changes.

• Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    I log every morning (when possible) in underwear only after the morning bio. And try not to flip out when the weight ticks upward for no apparent reason, because I know over time it's trending downward.
  • kiraallison
    kiraallison Posts: 2 Member
    Not to sound ignorant but what's the morning bio?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member

I am going to guess after going potty in the morning - whatever you happen to do...
  • andyzee69
    andyzee69 Posts: 193 Member
    I usually weigh in first thing after I get up. That way, I'm always wearing the same thing so don't have to allow for different clothes, shoes, etc.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member

I am going to guess after going potty in the morning - whatever you happen to do...

Yep :)
  • hoorayselma
    hoorayselma Posts: 127 Member
    Once a week is good right after you wake up and use the restroom but i cant be patient i weigh-in EVERYDAY . i prefer to weigh without clothes to get a more accurate weigh in or to weigh with the same thing everyday
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I weigh in multiple times a week, but the only time that 'counts' is Sunday AM in my nightgown, first thing in the morning after using the washroom.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    No way I'm weighing in my clothes. That's not MY weight. Weigh naked. I had to weigh in for my most recent powerlifting competition and I was trying to make weight, I got completely in the buff in front of the weigh in person cause I wasn't having an ounce on the scale dedicated to clothing weight! Poor lady.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    As long as you're weighing in wearing roughly the same thing each time, it doesn't really matter. Then again, I did 3 rounds with Weight Watchers before coming over to MFP. Stripping before meetings is generally frowned upon and likely illegal.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,501 Member
    edited June 21

Another one is saying at work, or while driving, "I need to take a bio break."

A cute euphemism.