Sugar issue

Options
After continuously updating my foods, I've found that I have a troubling sugar issue. A large majority of my calories come from desserts. I've found that my daily cup of coffee has 40g of sugar, alone. Does anyone else have an issue with sugar? What is your advice on keeping caffeine while ridding of high sugar?

Replies

• DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Took time but I can now drink coffee without sugar. Even the milk has a lot of sugar though, like 13g for a latte. Try and replace sugar with protein and healthy fat, you'll feel loads better.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't monitor my sugar intake. I have no medical reasons though. If you are concerned about it, then maybe make a list of the main contributors and see if there are alternatives that will work for you.
  • SunnyDayzMomma
    SunnyDayzMomma Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I just put sugar into my diary to see how many grams if sugar are in a teaspoon. Or more specifically I wanted to know how many teaspoons of sugar it takes to get to 40 grams of sugar. It's 10 teaspoons. Are you really making your coffee that sweet? I think you could easily come down on the sugar hugely without even noticing. Or is flavor shots and cream also? Either way, use a quarter less sugar/flavor shot a week, then the next week go a quarter less cream, and repeat, until you're down to a reasonable amount. I drink coffee black, so maybe I'm not the one to ask, but when I do drink it with cream and sugar I add 2 tablespoons of 10% cream and 1 teaspoon of sugar. That's 10 grams of sugar total. You can do it, just wean yourself down. I went to black coffee years ago when I tried losing weight as a teenager, amd you honestly get used to it and love it after a bit. Doesn't take long.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Diabetes runs in my family so sugar is an issue for me. I have learned to drink coffee with just milk and sometimes add a little cinnamon for extra flavor. I also find by eating less refined sugar I am less hungry and don't have the cravings I did before.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I have slowly turned to a no sugar, half and half kind of coffee drinker. But I don't think there's anything wrong with eating sugar.
  • willnevergiveup
    willnevergiveup Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have diabetes so sugar is a problem for me. Some artificial sweeteners can increase appetite and/or raised blood glucose level. Splenda doesn't do that for me, so that's what I use. I use a small amount of it plus half and half in my coffee. I also sometimes add a splash of a flavored sugar-free syrup to it. I've now on a ketogenic diet so I eat very little fruit (berries only) and I've found that as I eat less sugar--natural or artificial-- foods like nuts and bacon now taste sweet to me.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I don't monitor sugar. I do drink unsweetened iced tea all day long. I grew up with sweetened tea and just stepped down the added sugar bit by bit.

Maybe a flavored coffee would help. I like flavored iced teas. Cold brew coffee concentrate is less acidic (reflux users).....maybe less sugar will work with that.