TDEE from scooby workshop

Options
Anyone using it aside from MFP calculation? How it is effective?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I've used both. Personally I like having a single calorie goal to hit, rather than having it change once I add exercise, but that's my preference. Both ways work, if you are accurate and honest about your efforts and eating.
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I've used both. Personally I like having a single calorie goal to hit, rather than having it change once I add exercise, but that's my preference. Both ways work, if you are accurate and honest about your efforts and eating.

For me i love adding exercise calories it keeps me motivated up to exercise more. Love to play ping pong all day lol :smiley:
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Adding exercise calories works better for me because my daily activity varies considerably.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    ferd_ttp5 wrote: »

For me i love adding exercise calories it keeps me motivated up to exercise more. Love to play ping pong all day lol :smiley:

If you find adding the exercise more motivating, then following TDEE is probably not going to be as much fun for you.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    i've used both and they are very close in calculation... i picked light exercise on scooby although with fitbit i realize i'm more in the strenuous activity
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I used Scooby. It's just very vague. I was walking 3-6 miles every day, which is way more than 3-5 hours of moderate exercise, but obviously not straining exercise even though it added up to 10+ hours a week... so it took some time to figure out the right amount to eat (it was somewhere between both).

Honestly, get a Fitbit. Takes the guesswork out of the way and it's perfect if you enjoy seeing the direct impact of your exercise on your calories (it's nice to go for a walk and see the 'calories left' number jump up by 300).
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I use it to calculate mine, always have
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I used Scooby. It's just very vague. I was walking 3-6 miles every day, which is way more than 3-5 hours of moderate exercise, but obviously not straining exercise even though it added up to 10+ hours a week... so it took some time to figure out the right amount to eat (it was somewhere between both).

Honestly, get a Fitbit. Takes the guesswork out of the way and it's perfect if you enjoy seeing the direct impact of your exercise on your calories (it's nice to go for a walk and see the 'calories left' number jump up by 300).
    Actually if u match scooby to Fitbit, that is STRENUOUS
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options

I have a fitbit also, and regularly do the same. According to my fitbit and Scooby my TDEE is about 2150 which is pretty accurate tbh. I still love my fitbit tho lol
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

Yeah. None of the calculators are very good for people with large amounts of low intensity activity. For some reason, they all insist that intensity must increase with volume of activity. So, I have to pretend to be an Olympic athlete. For people in that situation, a FitBit or similar is really the best answer - or close monitoring of "calories in" and weight to allow calculation of average "calories out" (which also worked for me before I got the FitBit but requires a spreadsheet to do a good job).
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

I agree with this 100%. It is too difficult for me to try and hit a moving target daily. I like one goal that doesn't change. Just do what works best for you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Yeah strenuous is about right for me if walking 14k steps a day (with 80 minutes of treadmill in a day).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I cant get a decent number from most TDEE calculators, because my only exercise is walking, but i walk a lot.

@Francl27 and @SusanMFindlay Sailrabbit is the only calculator i've found that mentions 'walking 5-7 days a week'

http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

Although it gives me nearly 300 calories under what my fitbit says for TDEE, but it makes sense as i think my fitbit slightly overestimates..
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I'm a planner. I plan and log my meals for the upcoming week, then shop and cook on Sundays. So, I prefer a fixed TDEE goal and have a minimum daily threshold for exercise.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I cant get a decent number from most TDEE calculators, because my only exercise is walking, but i walk a lot.

@Francl27 and @SusanMFindlay Sailrabbit is the only calculator i've found that mentions 'walking 5-7 days a week'

http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

Although it gives me nearly 300 calories under what my fitbit says for TDEE, but it makes sense as i think my fitbit slightly overestimates..

Thanks! It's still ~600 too low for me - but that's to be expected as the amount I walk every day is not typical. I wish one of the TDEE calculators would just let you plug in an average step count and use that. (At least I can be a "hard labourer" on that one instead of "professional/olympic athlete". That's progress. :smiley:
  • fatica357
    fatica357 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This calculator: http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced allows you to put in however many hours of different levels of intensity.