Squats with a seat?

Options
I see more and more people at the gym doing squats with a bench under them. They put the safety locks up on the Smith Machine then pull a bench up under them as they do squats.

What is the purpose of the bench? I am assuming to hit that ~90 degree mark.

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I've never seen it but I am guessing it's to get that 90 degree, yes.

I remember when I started squating I used to get a chair and a broom in front of the mirror home, I am guessing the bench does the same thing
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    That makes sense ... I figured that's what it was for. Seems to be the new trend at my gym thought maybe I was missing out on something haha.
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it's a starter-squat sorta thing. When I read your description I immediately thought of this:

http://www.stumptuous.com/lurn-to-squat-good-e-zy

"Newbies get scared going down into the squat. It starts to seem like a really long way and they cut it short way too early. This helps you work towards a full depth squat and removes the mental hurdle of the descent. It’s also good for beginners who don’t yet have a lot of leg strength. The goal is to do an unassisted full depth squat."

Maybe they don't want to or can't squat the full way down but want to add weight (for whatever strange reason... sounds like self sabotage to me!)
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Oddly I see "seasoned" lifters doing this more lately as well guys I've seen go butt to hell with 300+ on the bar I now see using a seat when they squat. Too each their own I guess.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    box squatting. It's a technique thing. Hilarious to see it used with a smith machine.
  • MrsWillard13
    Options
    So I shouldn't be going all the way down? I'm confused?
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

Your hips should go just slightly below your knees in a weighted back squat.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options

The lower you go, the more you use your hamstrings and glutes, which takes pressure off your knees. If you're lifting at all heavy, you need to go to parallel or lower, or you can mess up your knees.

Half squats have their place, but they are a specialized lift, and I don't think most people should do them. If you're not injured, go low.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Why are they squatting in the Smith machine? I've seen trainers teaching people to squat in the Smith machine. I was told never to do that as it teaches bad form.
  • SergeantG
    SergeantG Posts: 92
    Options
    When I was lifting, my trainer put a bench under me in the beginning to help me improve my form....it helped me not do the 'scardy cat squat' and prevented me from leaning forward to compensate for the feeling of losing control. This was without the use of a smith machine. If I am using a smith machine, its not something that I needed to do.
  • Marionville
    Marionville Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It is dangerous to do weighted squats with a bench under the posterior.

Consider: your spine is flexible and there is a heavy weight across your shoulders, bearing down on your spine.

If you squat too low, the spine will be compressed because of the extra weight above. This would cause serious injury
    e.g. squashing of vertebrae.

Correct way to squat is to use your muscles to decelerate your downward movement, so that the top of your thighs is almost parallel with the ground.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Oddly I see "seasoned" lifters doing this more lately as well guys I've seen go butt to hell with 300+ on the bar I now see using a seat when they squat. Too each their own I guess.

I still squat to a box, even though I am an intermediate lifter (I could probably squat 275-300lbs for a 1RM). It helps ensure that I am getting proper depth every time and not cheating my reps. I do this because 90% of the people I see squatting are not breaking parallel, especially as they get heavier and heavier.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    box squats. Its to make sure you can get low enough and not cheat out.

.. it does look hysterical though.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Box squats are not dangerous to your spine. You are not totally relaxing and sitting there with 300lbs on your back having a conversation and twisting around. You are keeping everything tight, especially your core, and pausing just long enough to relax your hip muscles and break the rebound effect. Your vertebrae get no more squashed down than doing a normal squat.

Box squats are used to build glute and hamstring strength, to build power out of the bottom position of the lift, and to help teach and practice proper technique of sitting back into your squat. It's not "bro lifts", it's not bad for you. They have a very useful purpose in a strength program. Why do you think so many powerlifters and strength athletes use them?

Now, I will say, doing them in the Smith machine (doing ANYTHING in the Smith machine) is a waste of time, and doing them with a bench that is too high isn't as good, though a high box squat does have it's place as an assistance exercise..

I've done box squats for years. I have no knee problems and no back problems from doing them. I used to go pretty heavy too, over 600lbs.
  • Marionville
    Marionville Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I didn't say they were bad for your spine.
    But rapid deceleration, by striking a bench while squatting heavily, would be!
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I didn't say they were bad for your spine.
    But rapid deceleration, by striking a bench while squatting heavily, would be!
    Yes, and that would not be proper form. Just like bouncing up and down on a full squat isn't proper form.
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I've seen this a lot lately too, and to me, it looks like it almost forces you to not go deep enough. Maybe I have short lower legs (I'm 5-10, so around average height), or I go much deeper than most or something, but whenever I sit on a bench I feel like I'm doing a half squat.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Box squats are good to take the stretch reflex out of the lift. It takes the "spring" out of the bottom of the squat, and forces you to push up fast out of the hole. I wouldn't go with a bench, though - that seems a little high for a box squat to me. I'd shoot for a little beyond parallel.

I gave up trying to track down the box in the gym for my purposes, so I go with "meditating squats" - 40-50% of my max, go A2G, and just sit there. Keep the core tight, and hold for 5-10 seconds, then burst out of the hole as fast as I can. I call them "meditating squats" after the second time this conversation occurred.

New guy: does he need any help? (gesturing to me as I just sit there with 315 on my back)
    Seasoned lifter who helps me train regularly: Nah, he's just meditating.