Sweet potato diet and carb cycling

Options
Hi!
Does anyone have experience with the sweet potato diet or any other type of carb cycling?
I have been eating mostly paleo (plus dairy) for about 2 months now with great results, but I am slowly increasing the length of my runs since I am training for a half marathon. I don’t want to stop eating paleo because it makes me feel so amazing, but I probably need more carbs. But at the same time I hope to lose a few more kilos – 5 at the most.
Any experience or insight appreciated! I have already read Michael Morelli’s book and tried some recipes – hooked on Sweet potato brownies!! :D

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    kebnekaise wrote: »
    Hi!
    Does anyone have experience with the sweet potato diet or any other type of carb cycling?
    I have been eating mostly paleo (plus dairy) for about 2 months now with great results, but I am slowly increasing the length of my runs since I am training for a half marathon. I don’t want to stop eating paleo because it makes me feel so amazing, but I probably need more carbs. But at the same time I hope to lose a few more kilos – 5 at the most.
    Any experience or insight appreciated! I have already read Michael Morelli’s book and tried some recipes – hooked on Sweet potato brownies!! :D

You can increase your carbs and still lose those few more kilos. You just need to keep your calorie deficit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i am half marathon training and cant hold more than 100 cal deficit at the moment - i get too rungry!!!

There are people who run on low carb, do you feel like you're lacking energy? whats your weekly mileage currently?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I carb cycle with a H/M and Low day (high is 317g Carb, medium is 298g and low is 234g) and don't feel starving - low day can be a bit tough, but I get some extra fat on that day (78g vs 66g)
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Which is a worse experience? Sticking to one of these crazy fad diets or running every day on a treadmill? I think I'd choose the dreadmill.

These next 2 weeks are my taper for my May 7th marathon and this is the only time I try to limit carbs (not low carb or carb cycle or anything like that - just pay more attention).

Since you are a runner, my advice is to read the book "Diet Cults" by Matt Fitzgerald.

Good luck with your HM.