Instant Pot Pressure Cooker...Does anyone use one?

Options
Tweaking_Time
Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
I have been considering getting a pressure cooker/crock pot combo but I literally do not know anyone that has one. So I am posting my questions here.

I understand cooking times are drastically reduced (which is my main reason for considering this) as compared with conventional pots...but...
  • Does the food taste different? Better? Worse?
  • Can a pork loin get shredding-tender quicker?
  • Anything else you can share would be appreciated.
Thnx

Replies

• knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    There is a HUGE IP group on Facebook. Tons of recipes and lots of people to answer questions. My favorite thing to make in mine (I have two) is ribs. I cook them in the IP and finish them in the oven. I also like to make sweet potatoes in mine and my kids like to do rice in it. We use our often (which is why I have two).
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Love mine. The foods that work well are things you'd normally cook in a slow cooker. They taste better. Yes, meat is the biggest time saver. Cooking meat from frozen is a huge win for the IP. I got the duo and also make yogurt.

There's a weight watchers instant pot group on Facebook. I left the main group, as all it seems to talk about is cheese cake and dulce de leche.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Yes love my pressure cookers. I have 2 stove top ones and an electric one. Meat from frozen is a bonus and cooking time reduced dramatically.
  • Tweaking_Time
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @crazyravr - I searched for the thread you mentioned - but there were literally hundreds and I got tired of clicking on them trying to find answers to my questions above

@knittnponderknittnponder - WOW - almost 500k in that group - thanks for the tip

@annacole94annacole94 & @Chef_Barbell - thanks for confirming the much faster cooking times.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have one -- I use it several times a week.

The food tastes the same to me, I don't notice any difference in quality (except some things turn out better -- chickpeas cooked on the pressure cooker setting have a much better texture than when I cook chickpeas on the stovetop). It's great for cooking rice and other grains and I love the delayed start function (if something just needs to cook for a few hours, you can set the timer to begin *after* you leave for work and you don't have to worry about it overcooking before you get home). The saute function means that you can make soups or other dishes that begin with a saute without having to get another pot dirty. You just saute everything in the Instant Pot and then switch it to the slow cook or pressure cook setting.

My husband actually makes fun of me for how much I use it. I'm vegan, so I can't speak to how it does meat -- but it is great for cooking dried beans. I may never buy canned beans again -- there is just no good reason to with the Instant Pot cooking them so quickly.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    Love mine. The foods that work well are things you'd normally cook in a slow cooker. They taste better. Yes, meat is the biggest time saver. Cooking meat from frozen is a huge win for the IP. I got the duo and also make yogurt.

There's a weight watchers instant pot group on Facebook. I left the main group, as all it seems to talk about is cheese cake and dulce de leche.

bwahaha...OMG- you pretty much can't get more calorie-dense than dulce de leche aka Arequipe. that stuff is evil. (I've done arequipe-coated cakes for a few potlucks).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

My husband actually makes fun of me for how much I use it. I'm vegan, so I can't speak to how it does meat -- but it is great for cooking dried beans. I may never buy canned beans again -- there is just no good reason to with the Instant Pot cooking them so quickly.

ditto on the dried beans. I used to have to start them a day in advance of the rest of the ingredients (crock pot)...now just 20 minutes. (This was the main thing I wanted one for).

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have been considering getting a pressure cooker/crock pot combo but I literally do not know anyone that has one. So I am posting my questions here.

I understand cooking times are drastically reduced (which is my main reason for considering this) as compared with conventional pots...but...
    Thnx

I love mine! I like to say it is a great way to get long cooking flavor in a fraction of the time. Because it cooks under pressure it infuses flavor into food. It does make things really tender. If you want shredded chicken, pork or beef you will love it. I also like that you set it and walk away. No stirring required. Here is the MFP group link, but I also recommend the Instant Pot Group on Facebook.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/115500-pressure-cooker-recipes-and-tips
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I love mine - for some things. I know that some people do literally EVERYTHING in theirs, but until my oven breaks, I don't really see the point of bothering with it when it comes to making lasagna or baked ziti, for example.

It's fantastic for hard boiled eggs (don't laugh), rice, risotto, stews, chili, mashed potatoes, and a few other things though (cheesecake, apparently. The one I tried was awful, but it could have been the recipe).

I haven't tried the slow cooker option but it's apparently not great (but again, you can do the same thing in like 40 minutes, so it's kinda pointless to me).
  • Tweaking_Time
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »

Thnx

I love mine! I like to say it is a great way to get long cooking flavor in a fraction of the time. Because it cooks under pressure it infuses flavor into food. It does make things really tender. If you want shredded chicken, pork or beef you will love it. I also like that you set it and walk away. No stirring required. Here is the MFP group link, but I also recommend the Instant Pot Group on Facebook.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/115500-pressure-cooker-recipes-and-tips

Thnx for the link!
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I love mine and use it constantly! Not only do things cook quicker, I think many things taste better.
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I love mine - for some things. I know that some people do literally EVERYTHING in theirs, but until my oven breaks, I don't really see the point of bothering with it when it comes to making lasagna or baked ziti, for example.

It's fantastic for hard boiled eggs (don't laugh), rice, risotto, stews, chili, mashed potatoes, and a few other things though (cheesecake, apparently. The one I tried was awful, but it could have been the recipe).

I haven't tried the slow cooker option but it's apparently not great (but again, you can do the same thing in like 40 minutes, so it's kinda pointless to me).

This!

I just whipped up a batch of egg salad this morning. Hard boiled eggs are so quick and easy I can't even believe it. 6 minutes cooking time, plus 5 minutes natural release, transfer to cold water for a few minutes and they are perfect. MUCH easier to peel than cooking them on the stove. I diced them up in a bowl with some greek yogurt, sweet relish, dijon honey mustard, kosher salt, pepper, and celery yum!

I also use mine to cook steel cut oats, chicken, beef.. I feel like this thing has changed my life forever :D

I don't have the fancy insta pot, I just have a basic electric pressure cooker I got from best buy, but man have I been impressed with it so far.

I've contemplated trying cheesecake in mine but I feel like it would be a waste to go out and buy a special size cake pan to fit in there.. and then you have to cover it with aluminum foil something to do with condensation on your cheesecake.. I don't know. I've perfected my protein cheesecake recipe and it only takes 50 min in the oven, I can live with that!
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

ditto on the dried beans. I used to have to start them a day in advance of the rest of the ingredients (crock pot)...now just 20 minutes. (This was the main thing I wanted one for).

Another ditto on beans. Last night, made a batch of bean-kale-leek soup using one of those 15-bean assortment bags. Very good.

I use a trusty, 8-liter, jiggle-top pressure cooker. Does a great job. But, in my heart, I'm lusting after an IP with all those buttons and features. But am content for now with my stovetop cooker. Besides beans and rice, there's the usual pot roasts, stews and similar dishes that take a fraction of the time and taste really good.
  • katzenfluff
    katzenfluff Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I like to make soup. 30-45 minutes in the cooker and it tastes like you simmered it for hours. Pulled pork is great.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Right? I see people that cook every single dish in it. Dry heat cooking is useful too! :)
  • cricketmk3
    cricketmk3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Our pressure pro is the most used appliance in the kitchen! Yesterday, I poured in a dollop of chicken broth, chicken tenders, and herb seasoning and set for 15 minutes. Chicken ready to be used for casseroles, chicken salad, Mexican recipes, soups, stir fry, etc.