Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Acesulfame Potassium and sucralose

Options
Sp1tfire
Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
I decided this should go in the debate category since artificial sweeteners are a hot topic.
I've been thinking about a switch in my protein powders. Right now I take GNC 100% whey natural sweetened with stevia. It works well enough. The problem is that others with artificial sweeteners like Ace-K and sucralose are a LOT cheaper in some cases and come in bigger amounts and more interesting flavors. Are there any health risks that come with Ace-K and sucralose? If so, what are they and why? I'm new to artificial sweeteners and have generally avoided them but if there's no reason to worry I'll save my money and find a new protein powder.

Replies

• JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    katadx wrote: »
    I decided this should go in the debate category since artificial sweeteners are a hot topic.
    I've been thinking about a switch in my protein powders. Right now I take GNC 100% whey natural sweetened with stevia. It works well enough. The problem is that others with artificial sweeteners like Ace-K and sucralose are a LOT cheaper in some cases and come in bigger amounts and more interesting flavors. Are there any health risks that come with Ace-K and sucralose? If so, what are they and why? I'm new to artificial sweeteners and have generally avoided them but if there's no reason to worry I'll save my money and find a new protein powder.

It's not a cause and effect link, but a study of 4000 people over 7 years found that those that consume one or more artifically sweetened drinks per day had 3x the risk of stroke and dementia. You can read about it at WebMD below, which also suggests artificial sweeteners have been linked to vascular disease, weight gain, altering gut bacteria and more.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20170420/do-diet-sodas-pose-health-risks#1
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Not proof of cause and effect but I would assume that people who know they are overweight and in poor health might choose diet soda more often.

I have also heard it mentioned that the correlation was much less so when they controlled for things like diabetes and high blood pressure.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    katadx wrote: »

It's not a cause and effect link, but a study of 4000 people over 7 years found that those that consume one or more artifically sweetened drinks per day had 3x the risk of stroke and dementia. You can read about it at WebMD below, which also suggests artificial sweeteners have been linked to vascular disease, weight gain, altering gut bacteria and more.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20170420/do-diet-sodas-pose-health-risks#1

With regards to this study, it has been discussed here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10545803/todays-news-on-diet-soda-pop

Personally, I was trying to limit them because I am not a fan of the aftertaste, but have adapted with no ill side effects. Of course that's just my personal experience, so take it for what it's worth.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link nutmegoreo!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    If you want some additional reading on artificial sweeteners, this one is much longer, but the main important points are made in the OP.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1