Weight lifting with an ileostomy

Options
Has anyone been able to lift with an ileostomy without getting a hernia? I'm having a total colectomy with permanent ileostomy surgery on May 5th for fistulas/Crohn's and am wondering if I'll ever be able to get back to it. I realize powerlifting will be out of the picture but what about more of a body building style? I know I can't return for a long time (3-6 months after this surgery I'm having s proctectomy) but one day I'd live to.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @singingflutelady, I can't answered your question, but I was thinking of you the other day and wished I had made note of your surgery date.

Just wanted to wish you well and send (( <3 )) your way.

Cheers, h.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    @middlehaitch thanks! I just was given the date on Monday ;)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who lifts with an ileostomy. He took it slow when he started and found where his limits are. He even does olympic lifts. I think he sticks to higher volume stuff and he looks great! There's a fitness model who shares a lot about his life with one (had to Google it, his name is Blake Beckford).
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Bumping. I ended up having both surgeries at once and am itching to go back to the gym (But not quite yet I still have an open wound). The lift I'm most afraid of in terms of hernia risk is deadlier. My ostomy nurse recommended buying a belly binder or band. Anyone know any good ones?
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    I dont know anything about that but just want to say i'm sorry you have to go through this, i know you were really getting into lifting. I am sure there will be modifications you will figure out over time so that you can continue to have a happy and healthy life.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I have, but it's been reversed since. Sometimes when I lift beltless I can feel the onset of a hernia from my mesh failing from a 12" vertical scar next to the old ileostomy.

I played catcher for my baseball team with the ileostomy as well. Many professionals play sports with one too :).

Obviously wearing a lifting belt would be a problem and might have to workout around when you are "most active" as it will get even more.

Main thing is talk to your surgeon and Dr to see when you would be cleared to lift. Also get yourself a waist band where you order your bags etc... to assist with keeping everything tight.

I wouldn't say powerlifting is out for future, but you can be governed by how much. I think it was like 425lb for my deads.

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Bumping. I ended up having both surgeries at once and am itching to go back to the gym (But not quite yet I still have an open wound). The lift I'm most afraid of in terms of hernia risk is deadlier. My ostomy nurse recommended buying a belly binder or band. Anyone know any good ones?

I always got my band from my colostomy bag distributor. They are generic but work well. I think I had to get a different model of bag, but I can't remember. Just ask when you order, they will know.