Who benefits/needs protein powders?

Options
I was thinking of incorporating more smoothies into my daily diet, mostly as breakfast. I never eat breakfast in general, and I figure this may do some good for me. As I saw recipes for smoothies, I noticed a lot of people use protein powders in them. My question is, do I need it? Will I benefit from it?

I'm 24 years old, 288 lbs, 5'7. Lightly active and exercise 4 days a week right now.

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Have you taken a look at your nutrition numbers in MFP? Since I cut down how much meat I eat, I find I'm low on protein fairly often. So I use protein powder to help up my total protein on meatless days.

I don't really like smoothies, though. I use unflavored hemp or rice based protein powder tossed into salads, and vanilla flavor in oatmeal.

Protein helps some folks control hunger and cravings, too.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I use protein powder, because without it i would struggle to hit my protein goals. I have a smoothie everyday for lunch, and i also use it to make delish desserts, like pudding, cheesecake etc.

I use a chocolate/peanut flavour protein powder, which i love the taste of, so it's a treat every time i use it.

ETA: If you're getting sufficient protein from food, then there's really no benefit in adding protein powder. But if you're lacking then it makes a tasty, low cal way to get your numbers up.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Protein powder benefits those who are lacking in protein from other sources in their diet. Oftentimes used by bodybuilders and powerlifters who try to get a large amount of protein in their diet. Personally, I drink protein shakes daily because I have a 150 g protein goal x day. Without it, I'd be gagging on chicken and tuna all day LOL. Totally up to you if you feel it's necessary in your shake.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Breakfast isn't necessary unless you want to eat breakfast - nothing wrong with saving your calories until later.

If you struggle to eat your protein requirements in actual food, incorporating a protein supplement would be beneficial. I prefer eating though, and get 150g a day in 1 main meal, dessert and a mini meal with only 10g from protein powder...

It is good for bumping up the protein in meals that are often carb based though - yoghurt, as milk on cereal, in pancake/waffle mix etc.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    hiyomi wrote: »
    I was thinking of incorporating more smoothies into my daily diet, mostly as breakfast. I never eat breakfast in general, and I figure this may do some good for me. As I saw recipes for smoothies, I noticed a lot of people use protein powders in them. My question is, do I need it? Will I benefit from it?

I'm 24 years old, 288 lbs, 5'7. Lightly active and exercise 4 days a week right now.

If you don't eat breakfast, you might read up on Intermittent Fasting. It has hormonal benefits and may be suited to your eating habits.
  • strshllw84
    strshllw84 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I actually started doing protein shakes a couple weeks ago because my protein was so low and felt sluggish. Today I didn't have one because I went out for breakfast. Not only did I feel exhausted most of the day... But I'm fighting off the urge to binge tonight.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    strshllw84 wrote: »
    I actually started doing protein shakes a couple weeks ago because my protein was so low and felt sluggish. Today I didn't have one because I went out for breakfast. Not only did I feel exhausted most of the day... But I'm fighting off the urge to binge tonight.

Having a higher protein goal definitely helps with satiation, for me anyway.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Mfp's protein goal is so low. I set mine to 35% and I try to.never go below 30%

I love having chocolate protein powder and strawberries blended up for a great protein/fiber boost. (Better with milk if you have more wiggle room in calories).

I also like protein mug cakes to satisfy my sweet tooth in a more macro friendly way.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder mainly because it satisfies my sweet tooth (Vanilla yogurt + Chocolate pp) and makes me feel full for a long time. It's the perfect snack/breakfast food for me.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is good for your immune system.
  • strshllw84
    strshllw84 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    strshllw84 wrote: »

Having a higher protein goal definitely helps with satiation, for me anyway.

It's crazy the difference it has made!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I use protein powder mainly because it satisfies my sweet tooth (Vanilla yogurt + Chocolate pp) and makes me feel full for a long time. It's the perfect snack/breakfast food for me.

Yes definitely. I can make all sorts of desserts with my protein powder, which satisfies my sweet tooth with better macros and less calories than the usual dessert type foods i'd usually go for!
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!