Shoulder impingement

Options
2»

Replies

• jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    aown61 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the input guys, it's very hard for me to stop training, it's just my thing! I have been able to go and train legs, bi's/tri's, and back, I'm leaving well alone my chest and shoulders... anything that involves raising my arms above parallel really. Just want to get my ultra sound done to see what I'm looking at, some days it's been extremely painful just to put my coat on :(

Hi. This was me last year when trying to put clothes on on my upper half. I know you find it very hard to stop training but to be honest with you, I would until you have that ultra sound because you could be making it worse. While its great to see that you aren't doing any exercises that involves raising your arms above parallel, which is what my physio recommended last year, you still really shouldn't be doing anything until you have the ultra sound, see a physio and see what rehab they come up with. However you know your own body so I wish you the best of luck.
  • stasia215
    stasia215 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    First off too many people are training anterior chain when posterior chain is more important especially back and scapular stabilization exercises causing imbalance. A lot of people focus on all the Big show muscles and neglect the smaller stabilizing muscle groups which builds a house over a crappy foundation causing injury because of lack of endurnace in again the stabilizing muscle groups.... Those small muscles need high reps and light resistance which will help prevent compensation and injury. If something hurts do not do it. Figure out culprit and rehab correctly. Just because a workout plan calls for upright shoulder rows does not mean its appropriate for everyone. You will need physical therapy evidenced based treatment. Hang tight and hope you get better.
  • aown61
    aown61 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    stasia215 wrote: »
    First off too many people are training anterior chain when posterior chain is more important especially back and scapular stabilization exercises causing imbalance. A lot of people focus on all the Big show muscles and neglect the smaller stabilizing muscle groups which builds a house over a crappy foundation causing injury because of lack of endurnace in again the stabilizing muscle groups.... Those small muscles need high reps and light resistance which will help prevent compensation and injury. If something hurts do not do it. Figure out culprit and rehab correctly. Just because a workout plan calls for upright shoulder rows does not mean its appropriate for everyone. You will need physical therapy evidenced based treatment. Hang tight and hope you get better.

Well that kind of sounds like a dig, I've been training for over 15 years and not had 1 single injury, I am massive on proper form and posture, always warm up before hand, I train both heavy and light, certainly not a *kitten* boy only training show muscles. Truly at a loss as to where this injury has cropped up from, I cannot recall any moment while I've been training where I've thought 'I've done something wrong there'
  • jdscrubs32
    Options

Well that kind of sounds like a dig, I've been training for over 15 years and not had 1 single injury, I am massive on proper form and posture, always warm up before hand, I train both heavy and light, certainly not a *kitten* boy only training show muscles. Truly at a loss as to where this injury has cropped up from, I cannot recall any moment while I've been training where I've thought 'I've done something wrong there'

Is your job a desk bound type job @aown61 ? Mine is. My issues, mainly tendinitis which started in my left forearm as a result of how my work station was set up, when it cleared from there went into my left chest area and when cleared from there went into my left rotator cuff. An ergonomist was brought into my workplace and she changed up my work station. That and the physio work helped clear up all of the issues but it took time. Thought I would ask though if your job is a desk bound one.
  • Xymheia
    Xymheia Posts: 65 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It's possible that you still have a slight postural problem somewhere and if you do, your body makes you think you're using proper form (under load) while you're not, that your body does something odd at a certain point in a lift which never caught up to you until now or that you've been doing a lift that's tough on your shoulders or too much pressing/shoulder work. Do you videotape yourself while lifting?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    jdscrubs32 wrote: »

Is your job a desk bound type job @aown61 ? Mine is. My issues, mainly tendinitis which started in my left forearm as a result of how my work station was set up, when it cleared from there went into my left chest area and when cleared from there went into my left rotator cuff. An ergonomist was brought into my workplace and she changed up my work station. That and the physio work helped clear up all of the issues but it took time. Thought I would ask though if your job is a desk bound one.

So much this as a potential cause of the OP's problems. Most people that train are doing it an hour or so a day (and there are rest breaks in there). People are hunched over desks, cell phones, bad driving posture 12+hours a day. It really takes a toll.

My orthopedic surgeon said give another 10 years and it would take 3 of him to treat the issues he's seeing from all the desk work, cell phone, etc posture.
  • jdscrubs32
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

So much this as a potential cause of the OP's problems. Most people that train are doing it an hour or so a day (and there are rest breaks in there). People are hunched over desks, cell phones, bad driving posture 12+hours a day. It really takes a toll.

My orthopedic surgeon said give another 10 years and it would take 3 of him to treat the issues he's seeing from all the desk work, cell phone, etc posture.

It's one of the main reasons I got into Pilates as I found my posture from a desk bound job was getting worse. Posture has improved. Also some of the stretches that are done in Pilates are great for the area that I had the issues in and would be good for the OP as well.
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I will throw the following out there. If you are experiencing forward shoulder posture all day and pectoral tightness as @_Phill727 and if this is from an office job hunched over a computer keyboard like what happened to @Packerjohn I would suggest taking up pilates. It has helped me with my posture from a desk bound job and there are movements in Pilates which are great for shoulder rehab. Just an idea.

I felt better after my rotator cuff rehab, but sitting at the desk and using the mouse all day makes it feel like the rehab was all for nothing as it is still burns doing everyday things and painful to do any overhead lifting. Didn't even think to look into Pilates for posture ... Will definitely look into it.