Gluten-Free Endurance Runners

Options
sofchak
sofchak Posts: 862 Member
What do you eat to carb load for those really long runs? I eat a lot of sweet potato and winter squash (butternut/spaghetti squash). Not the biggest fan of rice or GF pasta. Open to ideas for other healthy ways to prep for those endurance runs. TIA.

Replies

• ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit, sweet and regular potatoes, and rice. I don't really find that I need a whole lot of carbs, though.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Rice noodles?
    Cereal?
  • sofchak
    Options
    Rice noodles?
    Cereal?

Any good gluten free cereal options that aren't ridiculously loaded with sugar? I haven't thought about eating cereal in a long while since giving up wheat, so haven't been scouting down that grocery aisle in about a year or so...
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    sofchak wrote: »
    Rice noodles?
    Cereal?

Any good gluten free cereal options that aren't ridiculously loaded with sugar? I haven't thought about eating cereal in a long while since giving up wheat, so haven't been scouting down that grocery aisle in about a year or so...

I'm in Australia, so probably no help...
    But health food aisles/shops might have something less sweet, but rice bubbles aren't ridiculous, and we can get gf weet Bix, and cornflakes that aren't too bad either...
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Rice noodles?
    Cereal?

I was misdiagnosed with celiac disease for almost two years and loved Cheerios and Chex. They don't bother my actual celiac friend, either.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Rice and sweet potatoes are good options. I also make risotto often. I don't tend to do any intentional carb loading for training runs, but my favorite meal the evening before a marathon is gluten free pancakes with maple syrup. I always save an extra for the morning of the race and eat it with peanut butter.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    feedzone portables is a great recipe book and has lots of recipes in it for endurance atheltes - many of which can be adjusted to gluten free. While you said you don't like rice - there is a pretty solid sweet potato/rice bite with some cheese that I use quite regularly
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Rice and sweet potatoes are good options. I also make risotto often. I don't tend to do any intentional carb loading for training runs, but my favorite meal the evening before a marathon is gluten free pancakes with maple syrup. I always save an extra for the morning of the race and eat it with peanut butter.

King Arthur Flour makes an amazing gf pancake mix!
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Rice noodles?
    Cereal?

I was misdiagnosed with celiac disease for almost two years and loved Cheerios and Chex. They don't bother my actual celiac friend, either.

What did you really have?
  • sofchak
    Options
    Thanks for the great suggestions, everyone! Will have to give some thought to cheerios and risotto, as well as look into that feedzone recipe book. Normally have no problem meeting my regular 45/20/35 macros - just trying to carb load a bit more than usual for my first marathon so appreciate the ideas.

Luckily, I have a pretty solid pancake recipe (eat pancakes every morning) that uses GF oatmeal, eggs, baking powder, zucchini and cottage cheese that is meeting my fueling needs. Works well on the morning of a nice long run :-)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Rice noodles?
    Cereal?

My husband has an oat flake cereal, it's not sweet at all.