This app has my bmr high?

Options
BrokeBirkin
BrokeBirkin Posts: 73 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I put in that I want to lose 1 lbs a week and it says I should eat over 1500 and still hit it before workouts. But that sounded really high so I used over 10 different bmr calculators and they all said 1400-1500 was my maintaining which seems right because that's how much I would normally eat to feel full. So I've been tracking calories through this app but adjusting it in a notebook as if my base was 1450. What do you guys think?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    As far as I'm aware, mfp gives you your tdee. This is bmr plus general activity level (not exercise), whereas bmr is what your body requires just to survive at complete rest.

Try not to eat under your bmr! I'd go with 1500 plus exercise cals (or part of them) on top. Choose more calorie dense foods to hit your goal if you struggle to eat more volume.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    what are your stats?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    You need to eat 500 calories less than your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) to lose a pound a week.

Only if you are comatose do you need to eat less than your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) to lose weight.

How much exercise are you doing? What's your height and weight?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    As far as I'm aware, mfp gives you your tdee. This is bmr plus general activity level (not exercise), whereas bmr is what your body requires just to survive at complete rest.

Try not to eat under your bmr! I'd go with 1500 plus exercise cals (or part of them) on top. Choose more calorie dense foods to hit your goal if you struggle to eat more volume.

@livingleanlivingclean
    The number MFP gives you to maintain weight or as the base setting from which to deduct their selected deficit would only be someone's TDEE on a day without any exercise.

OP - Try it for a month and then you will have a baseline from which you can adjust (if required).

If you don't want to log and eat back exercise calories then look at TDEE calculators - not BMR calculators.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

@livingleanlivingclean
    The number MFP gives you to maintain weight or as the base setting from which to deduct their selected deficit would only be someone's TDEE on a day without any exercise.

OP - Try it for a month and then you will have a baseline from which you can adjust (if required).

If you don't want to log and eat back exercise calories then look at TDEE calculators - not BMR calculators.

I meant that... As in, it works things out from tdee like you said. Not from bmr... :)
  • asceniak
    asceniak Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    does any one have advice on setting a routine for someone the works midnights? I feel like I can't focus I watch a baby mon-fri right after I get off of work at 7am, I don't get enough sleep I know maybe 3-4 hours I am not getting all of my foods in and just keep adding weight on. please help :(
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    asceniak wrote: »
    does any one have advice on setting a routine for someone the works midnights? I feel like I can't focus I watch a baby mon-fri right after I get off of work at 7am, I don't get enough sleep I know maybe 3-4 hours I am not getting all of my foods in and just keep adding weight on. please help :(

@asceniak MFP lets you set different names and frequencies for your meals, so you can change them to suit your hours. You can also set your time zone to suit your awake hours.

Other than that, you might want to start your own thread. You really need to get more sleep most importantly!
  • BrokeBirkin
    BrokeBirkin Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I didnt realize I set it to lightly active rather than sedentary (just got a job) so that's probably why. As for my stats...
    I'm burning about 100-200 calories a day in workouts. I'm 5'3 and 165 lbs.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I put in that I want to lose 1 lbs a week and it says I should eat over 1500 and still hit it before workouts. But that sounded really high so I used over 10 different bmr calculators and they all said 1400-1500 was my maintaining which seems right because that's how much I would normally eat to feel full. So I've been tracking calories through this app but adjusting it in a notebook as if my base was 1450. What do you guys think?

BMR is the calories your body burns just to keep you alive. Like, if you were in a coma so no actual movement but all your systems/organs were fully functioning. Heart/lungs/brain... Pumping blood thru your body, your body regulating its temperature, digesting food, etc. In addition to bmr you burn energy to move thru your day. Based on your height/weight/age/gender if your BMR is in the 1400-1500 range, then regular daily activity could put your non-exercise daily burn in the 1950 neighborhood.

(It sounds like you misunderstood what bmr is.)