Why do you want to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• SoyD986
    SoyD986 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    As I've gotten heavier, I've started isolating myself from friends and family because I'm ashamed and embarrassed that I've let my weight get so out of control. I was once outgoing and social but now I'm that friend that makes endless excuses for turning down invitations.

I want my confidence back.

I want to again be able to enjoy the simple things in life with the people I love. I miss them and I miss the old me.

You took the words right out of my thoughts @CCreinvented!!

It would be so great to be back to the person I was just five years ago who was social and outgoing and didn't hide in the house as far away from everyone as possible in shame. Thank you for that. Needed a reminder this morning.

• eagle_74
    eagle_74 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have a 7 year old and he's an only child. Me and Wife are his main playmates. 6 months ago I could hardly play 5 minutes with him. I want to be able to play soccer and have sword battles with him and not be exhausted so quickly.

The other reason is I feel uncomfortable above a certain weight. Shirts fit too tight, I get self-conscious and it's a feeling that's always there when I'm out in public. I'm tired of that. I just want to shed enough fat to not have to buy XL clothing. 10% BF isn't my goal, just active and slim enough not to feel all that extra weight on me.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    To look good. I want to be fit to enjoy life, but fit looks better without a lot of fat over it
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Why? When I am out walking I see people in their 80's walking, running and using outdoor Playfit equipment. That is how I inspire to be when I am that age.
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Primarily vanity - I want to look better in my clothes & actually enjoy shopping for clothes.
    Secondary is health. Always was active & fairly healthy but as I get older, I want to hang on to all of that.
  • nbrab
    nbrab Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've always been on the chubby side, ever since I was a kid.
    I've never known the feeling of looking into the mirror and being satisfied with what I see.
    I want to feel more confident, and in this process of losing weight, i've been feeling better than ever.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Lots of reasons. Today its because I have a goal of going to Harry Potter world in a year or two and I want to fully enjoy it without having to constantly take a break. Sunday it was because I want to be more comfortable in my church's theater-like seats.
  • CarolWhoDat
    CarolWhoDat Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It can be painful to carry around extra pounds. When I was real heavy, I had plantar fasciitis in my feet, and a pain in my right side under my rib cage that was driving me insane. After losing 50-something pounds, both conditions are GONE. I've got about 15 pounds left to lose, and I feel healthy and energetic. I also don't mind looking good in smaller clothing! :)
  • cozytimes
    cozytimes Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    confidence, self esteem, getting more choices in clothing and fashion, more happiness and satisfaction with myself
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I want to prevent diabetes or delay it as much as possible doing all the right things that are within my control.

This is my exact answer. My dad was diagnosed at 42. I'm 35 and don't want to hear those words early or at all.

Also to hopefully help my self-confidence.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,869 Member
    Options
    1. So I can do the cycling I used to do.
    2. So I can cycle up hills.
    3. Because, at 48 when I signed up with MFP, I didn't want to be the dumpy old person I saw in the mirror. I was too young to be that dumpy and old.

Happy to say that at 50, I'm right in the middle of my normal BMI range and I'm doing the cycling I used to do and I can cycle up hills ... and I don't think I look dumpy and old anymore. :)
  • FlyingBeagles
    FlyingBeagles Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's cheaper in the long run to be healthy and I'm hella cheap...
    Though, I should also admit that I'd like to feel better and my family has a lot of medical issues. Mostly diabetes.
  • keithhtiek
    keithhtiek Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I want to look hot in a bikini.
    I'm shallow.

To be honest, this is really also the reason why I want to lose weight. To look hot in a bikini, or to look hot, comfortable and confident in general on what I wear.

But the main reason is my family is known to have heart problems and diabetes, so as of now I want to eat and live healthy for my health.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I want to be able to wear the awesome clothes that don't come in plus sizes.

I also want to be able to do fun activities without even having to think about what their weight limit probably is; far less explain to my friends/colleagues why I can't do the thing. Or pretend to them that I don't want to do the thing.
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I want to take pressure off my arthritic knee and not be a fattie.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Health. always health. Family has a history of beetus.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    As I've gotten heavier, I've started isolating myself from friends and family because I'm ashamed and embarrassed that I've let my weight get so out of control. I was once outgoing and social but now I'm that friend that makes endless excuses for turning down invitations.

I want my confidence back.

I want to again be able to enjoy the simple things in life with the people I love. I miss them and I miss the old me.

Wow. It looks like your words spoke to many of us. Thank you for putting into words what so many of us are experiencing and feeling.
  • Xredstarsx
    Xredstarsx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a ton of reasons but one of them is just that I hate taking up so much space. I will be flying in 2 weeks and I am terrified that I won't fit or I will need a seatbelt extender. I have lost 22 lbs so far but I am still very large.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Short-term: I want to live the active life I've always wanted -- athletic, confident, happy. Comfortable in my own skin. Going on adventures with my husband. Modeling a healthy lifestyle for our 3 kids.

Long-term: Live a healthy life, all the way to the end. My fit grandmother was healthy and active until her last days at age 94. My fit father is still going strong at 75, riding his bike to work, swimming across the lake with me every summer. My obese and sedentary mother and two uncles (70-ish) are riddled with all sorts of health problems, and it's going to be a long, painful slide. I'd rather take the long-term health route.