Want to lose fat and gain muscle..Help!

Hello all, I am 5-9 and currently 257 pounds. I started my journey in December at 290 so yes I've lost a few. I want to keep losing weight or just fat, but do want to gain muscle. Any suggestions or tips you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Food, workout, supplements...i do mean any.

Thank you!

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,110 Member
    Its really hard to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time but can be done. It's called body recomposition and there are some good threads if you do a search.

Personally I would recommend though saving recomp for when you are at or close to goal weight. If you have a substantial amount to lose focus on maintaining muscle while doing that first. I made the mistake of trying to start too soon and it only led to frustration.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Start resistance/weight training. You will probably develop some muscle, but typically this is difficult to do when cutting.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    Its really hard to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time but can be done. It's called body recomposition and there are some good threads if you do a search.

Personally I would recommend though saving recomp for when you are at or close to goal weight. If you have a substantial amount to lose focus on maintaining muscle while doing that first. I made the mistake of trying to start too soon and it only led to frustration.

Agreeing with the bold. OP has almost 100 pounds to go before reaching the high end of the healthy range for his height so recomp wouldn't be a good option at this point.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Start weight training then while continuing to eat at a deficit. There are some other good threads on here about different weight training programs. Stronglifts 5x5 is a particularly simple one that works well for beginners. And make sure you are at least hitting the default protein macro.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Modest deficit, plenty of protein, lift heavy
  • ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    edited April 2017
    To put it simply:

Small caloric deficit + protein + resistance training

Small caloric deficit = TDEE - 500 (basically MFP's recommended caloric intake when losing a lb a week)
    Protein = .8g per lb of lean body mass (if you're 5'9", go with 165lbs, which would come out to 132g of protein a day)
    Resistance training = any kind of heavy lifting or bodyweight exercises

Weightlifting is cool, but you're not going to gain much on a cut. Save your money and do bodyweight fitness until you're a few months away from your first bulk.

I'd start with Reddit's recommended bodyweight fitness routine, which can be found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    weight loss is indiscriminate.. just as "spot reduction" is a myth... when you lose weight it is a combination of fat and muscle... your body needs to make up for the lack of energy by making use of what is on hand. Lifting of course is the answer... BUT how do you make it a habit? and how do you properly fuel yourself ... Start with regular cardio... every day.. every other day... as long as you begin the habit... and keep with it... meaningful exercise EVERYDAY... at least 7-8 hours/week of doing something physical... and walking your dog, or taking moonlit strolls with your significant other doesn't count... work in 12 week cycles... that is.. anything you decide to do... do for 12 weeks then assess the effectiveness... if you are a total newbie... don't run... that will cause an injury... go low impact... rowing machine, swimming, cycling, elliptical.. make note of time, distance, resistance, and aim to improve each and every performance... a regular stationary bike can be used as a muscle building machine if you set the resistance high enough and pedal long enough and fast enough...

mind your macros... balancing your diet will help you avoid binging... cravings are the result of an imbalance... so log your intake... and always fuel your workouts... doesn't have to be a Big mac and Fries (unless you are running a marathon).. a banana, an energy bar... heck a chocolate bar... always aim to burn at least what you ate... push as hard as you dare... and always get your doctor's input before embarking on a strenuous program...

when I first started all I could muster was 12 minutes on an elliptical set on 1... my last cardio was 20 minutes on a stationary bike... and the elliptical for another 20 minutes on level 7... now that ain't a record... BUT I don't plan on running a marathon... I will settle for a 10 k... and I plan on doing it in under 40 minutes...I am also lifting on a regular basis... I am not so concerned with weight loss as I am in gaining physical ability...so aside form eliminating potatoes and junk food from my diet and concentrating increasing the color of my diet (eating more colourful food is important according to my nutritionist) and eating within my macros. I don't count calories...and I have gone from a 38 inch waist that was ummm a little tight.. to a more comfortable fitting 36 inch waist... it takes a whole lot longer to do recomp... BUT I am convinced that the results will be far more sustainable... ( I am at the gym for at least 9 hours/week...

once you get comfortable with your cardio.. it is time to get uncomfortable with it by implementing HIIT... in order to help up your regular cardio... HIIT can be considered "muscle building for your heart, lungs and circulatory system". once again.. check in with your doctor before undertaking HIIT...it is meant to push you to the extreme limits of your physical ability...if you don't feel like you are dying.. then you are not pushing hard enough... I used to play Rugby... 2 45 minute halves with non-stop running in between... during warm ups if you weren't puking... you weren't playing the next game...now that isn't completely necessary... Coach at the time just though it was funny...

there's some nuggets for you to think about... be patient... you didn't max out on your weight overnight... your on a lifelong journey... every day you hit the gym instead of choosing to do nothing is a victory.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Whether or not you will gain muscle while losing weight will depend on a lot of factors; size of your deficit (the fast the weight loss, the hard your ability to gain any muscle), how new to lifting, genetics, nutrition, etc...

Ultimately, whether or not your actually gain muscle might not even matter if you like your progress. And unless you plan on getting multiple dexa scans throughout your journey, you wouldn't even know. So I would agree with others by saying, lifting heavy, get adequate protein (probably 150g per day) and don't go overly aggressive with your weight loss.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    I agree, I would focus on losing the weight and trying to maintain muscle for now (although being new to lifting you *may* actually gain some muscle while in a deficit). Trying to recomp (eating at maintenence) is not ideal when overweight.
    Find an established/progressive lifting program, eat adequate protein (my rule of thumb is 1 gram per pound of lean mass or about .8 per pound of total weight). Worry about building when you are at an ideal bodyfat.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Whether or not you will gain muscle while losing weight will depend on a lot of factors; size of your deficit (the fast the weight loss, the hard your ability to gain any muscle), how new to lifting, genetics, nutrition, etc...

Ultimately, whether or not your actually gain muscle might not even matter if you like your progress. And unless you plan on getting multiple dexa scans throughout your journey, you wouldn't even know. So I would agree with others by saying, lifting heavy, get adequate protein (probably 150g per day) and don't go overly aggressive with your weight loss.

x2 but I will say this you are probably one of the best candidates for building muscle while losing fat as you are new to lifting and considered obese still I expect. The only thing you aren't is a young man full of testosterone...based on the fact you have an 8 year old.

So basically what is above will work great for you.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    People aren't always very specific about what they really mean when they say that they want to "gain muscle." Does that mean you literally want to increase the amount of muscle tissue you have? Or does it mean that you want to get stronger? Or look more muscular? Or just get to the end-point of your desired weight loss without looking skinnyfat?

Some of the advice you're getting upthread about recomping might be splitting hairs at this point in time. You might not literally add much more muscle tissue while you're trying to lose weight, but you can certainly get stronger and keep the muscle you do have so you end your weight loss journey looking more muscular. If that's the end result, wouldn't that be good?

What you need to do is start a progressive resistance training program and eat adequate protein. Pick a reasonably moderate deficit so that you're not losing an enormous amount of weight each week (if you go super aggressive, you might be in danger of losing more muscle along the way than you want). That's really it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    AliceDark wrote: »
    People aren't always very specific about what they really mean when they say that they want to "gain muscle." Does that mean you literally want to increase the amount of muscle tissue you have? Or does it mean that you want to get stronger? Or look more muscular? Or just get to the end-point of your desired weight loss without looking skinnyfat?

Some of the advice you're getting upthread about recomping might be splitting hairs at this point in time. You might not literally add much more muscle tissue while you're trying to lose weight, but you can certainly get stronger and keep the muscle you do have so you end your weight loss journey looking more muscular. If that's the end result, wouldn't that be good?

What you need to do is start a progressive resistance training program and eat adequate protein. Pick a reasonably moderate deficit so that you're not losing an enormous amount of weight each week (if you go super aggressive, you might be in danger of losing more muscle along the way than you want). That's really it.

see I assume when people say they want to gain muscle that's what they mean....otherwise they would say I want to be stronger or I want to look fit etc.

But you are probably correct as some confuse strength with muscle...and definition with building which in fact is from losing fat.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    weight loss is indiscriminate.. just as "spot reduction" is a myth... when you lose weight it is a combination of fat and muscle... your body needs to make up for the lack of energy by making use of what is on hand. Lifting of course is the answer... BUT how do you make it a habit? and how do you properly fuel yourself ... Start with regular cardio... every day.. every other day... as long as you begin the habit... and keep with it... meaningful exercise EVERYDAY... at least 7-8 hours/week of doing something physical... and walking your dog, or taking moonlit strolls with your significant other doesn't count... work in 12 week cycles... that is.. anything you decide to do... do for 12 weeks then assess the effectiveness... if you are a total newbie... don't run... that will cause an injury... go low impact... rowing machine, swimming, cycling, elliptical.. make note of time, distance, resistance, and aim to improve each and every performance... a regular stationary bike can be used as a muscle building machine if you set the resistance high enough and pedal long enough and fast enough...

mind your macros... balancing your diet will help you avoid binging... cravings are the result of an imbalance... so log your intake... and always fuel your workouts... doesn't have to be a Big mac and Fries (unless you are running a marathon).. a banana, an energy bar... heck a chocolate bar... always aim to burn at least what you ate... push as hard as you dare... and always get your doctor's input before embarking on a strenuous program...

when I first started all I could muster was 12 minutes on an elliptical set on 1... my last cardio was 20 minutes on a stationary bike... and the elliptical for another 20 minutes on level 7... now that ain't a record... BUT I don't plan on running a marathon... I will settle for a 10 k... and I plan on doing it in under 40 minutes...I am also lifting on a regular basis... I am not so concerned with weight loss as I am in gaining physical ability...so aside form eliminating potatoes and junk food from my diet and concentrating increasing the color of my diet (eating more colourful food is important according to my nutritionist) and eating within my macros. I don't count calories...and I have gone from a 38 inch waist that was ummm a little tight.. to a more comfortable fitting 36 inch waist... it takes a whole lot longer to do recomp... BUT I am convinced that the results will be far more sustainable... ( I am at the gym for at least 9 hours/week...

once you get comfortable with your cardio.. it is time to get uncomfortable with it by implementing HIIT... in order to help up your regular cardio... HIIT can be considered "muscle building for your heart, lungs and circulatory system". once again.. check in with your doctor before undertaking HIIT...it is meant to push you to the extreme limits of your physical ability...if you don't feel like you are dying.. then you are not pushing hard enough... I used to play Rugby... 2 45 minute halves with non-stop running in between... during warm ups if you weren't puking... you weren't playing the next game...now that isn't completely necessary... Coach at the time just though it was funny...

there's some nuggets for you to think about... be patient... you didn't max out on your weight overnight... your on a lifelong journey... every day you hit the gym instead of choosing to do nothing is a victory.

If "lifting is of course the answer" then why do you recommend that OP focus on cardio?
    Cardio (while potentially conducive to being able to eat more while maintaining a caloric deficit) is not necessary for weight loss. Cardio also does not inhibit muscle loss like lifting will. That applies to steady state cardio and HIIT.

Why not just recommend that OP begin a structured lifting program designed for beginners?

It seems that you've agreed that lifting is what will help OP achieve his goals and then recommended that, instead, he should do other things that are not conducive to his goals.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »

see I assume when people say they want to gain muscle that's what they mean....otherwise they would say I want to be stronger or I want to look fit etc.

But you are probably correct as some confuse strength with muscle...and definition with building which in fact is from losing fat.

I think it depends on the person saying it...if it's someone I know to be a lifter or an experienced exerciser, I'll assume that "gain muscle" means "increase total muscle tissue." But if it's someone who seems to be more of a beginner, I think it's worth probing. I'm not sure that everyone necessarily realizes that you can get stronger and look more muscular without literally adding a significant amount of new muscle tissue, and I feel like these threads sometimes wander off into providing guidance that isn't appropriate for a newbie at this stage.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    I have not read the whole thread, but, you probably have a fair amount of muscle under your fat already. One does not carry around 290 pounds without sufficient muscle. The key while losing is to maintain that muscle you already have. If you put on a little more, which is unlikely but possible for very small amounts, that is a bonus. Either way, the way to do so is a moderate deficit, in other words don't try to lose weight really fast; sufficient protein; and weight training. Start a full body, free weight program like Stronglifts 5x5 or similar as a good place to start.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I think it depends on the person saying it...if it's someone I know to be a lifter or an experienced exerciser, I'll assume that "gain muscle" means "increase total muscle tissue." But if it's someone who seems to be more of a beginner, I think it's worth probing. I'm not sure that everyone necessarily realizes that you can get stronger and look more muscular without literally adding a significant amount of new muscle tissue, and I feel like these threads sometimes wander off into providing guidance that isn't appropriate for a newbie at this stage.

I think it's just trendy right now (seems to be augmenting or even replacing getting "toned"). This is why when I see a new poster, I try to define it a bit more.