Keto

Options
2»

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    @nvmomketo "The sodium suggestion is smart too. Increase salt intake to about 2 teaspoons per day. If you get headaches, fatigue, muscle aches, weakness or crankiness, your sodium is probably still too low."

Thank you so much for this sodium suggestion! I just started a week ago and I have been having fatigue and headaches, which I expected, but I didn't expect the muscle aches and weakness! What a relief, I thought I was getting sick! Do you have any tricks for getting more sodium?

I would not believe that I needed that much salt when I started. I was stuck in the low sodium recommendations of the 80s and 90s. LOL I felt bad for two weeks.

I add a teaspoon of salt to water if I feel poorly. A cup or two of a salty broth helps too. Some make "keto-aid" which is salty, sugar-free Miso I believe. Make sure to salt your food too. If you don't like the flavor of salt, salt tablets are an option.

Supplementing with potassium and magnesium can help too, especially if you've let your symptoms go for a while.

Good luck.
  • jaybelovely
    jaybelovely Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Cheese, nuts, hard boiled eggs, frozen cheesecake fluff (cream cheese whipped w/heavy whipping cream, vanilla, berries, and frozen), celery w/ creamy ceasar dressing, etc.

Vanilla extract? Or what type of vanilla for the cheesecake fluff?

• Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Lots of great food suggestions in this thread! I just started a high-fat, lower carb diet recently. Not keto because my carbs aren't low enough (yet) but making strides!
  • megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Options

Yeah, vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste, both work. I've also added lemon juice for a tangier flavor, or cocoa powder for a chocolate cheesecake flavor. Lots of options :)
  • jaybelovely
    Options
    Seajolly wrote: »
    Lots of great food suggestions in this thread! I just started a high-fat, lower carb diet recently. Not keto because my carbs aren't low enough (yet) but making strides!

Yes! Same for myself. But the goal is keto. I've gradually decreased carbs day in, day out. It's the best way to go. Good luck!
  • jaybelovely
    Options

Yeah, vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste, both work. I've also added lemon juice for a tangier flavor, or cocoa powder for a chocolate cheesecake flavor. Lots of options :)

Lime juice would be wonderful as well. Thanks for the suggestion

• 3DCAKE
    3DCAKE Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thinking about starting Keto. Loving what I am seeing. :smile:
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    For good ideas do a Pinterest search. I have a board full of ideas for keto and low carb.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Full fat cream cheese with crunchy peanut butter and toffee myprotein flavdrops stirred through. Literally the highlight of being on keto for me...I basically get to eat peanut butter toffee cheesecake minus the base on a daily basis!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I usually make myself some kind of "cheat" snacks. I say cheat because you typically wouldn't think of them as low carb but I make them that way! My favorite thing is to make ice cream. So far I've done butter pecan, chocolate chip cookie dough, and strawberry cheesecake. All of them are 4 carbs or less. I also like almonds or cheese as a snack. After 10 weeks, I don't find myself as hungry between meals though. Week 1 you are typically much hungrier but by week 3 or 4, you will get the wonderful appetite suppressing qualities that come with eating Keto. I use ruled.me for many of my meal recipes but you can always google keto versions of your old favorite snacks and see what pops up. I can't remember a single recipe that I haven't liked yet (and I am a pretty picky eater). Also, I've seen a few people mention the salt but you might also want to try a magnesium supplement. If I don't take mine, I get suuuper sick feeling (practically the keto flu stage all over again but 10x worse). Good luck!
  • jaybelovely
    Options
    tattygun wrote: »
    Full fat cream cheese with crunchy peanut butter and toffee myprotein flavdrops stirred through. Literally the highlight of being on keto for me...I basically get to eat peanut butter toffee cheesecake minus the base on a daily basis!

What are myprotein flavor drops? Are they in store??
  • jaybelovely
    Options
    I usually make myself some kind of "cheat" snacks. I say cheat because you typically wouldn't think of them as low carb but I make them that way! My favorite thing is to make ice cream. So far I've done butter pecan, chocolate chip cookie dough, and strawberry cheesecake. All of them are 4 carbs or less. I also like almonds or cheese as a snack. After 10 weeks, I don't find myself as hungry between meals though. Week 1 you are typically much hungrier but by week 3 or 4, you will get the wonderful appetite suppressing qualities that come with eating Keto. I use ruled.me for many of my meal recipes but you can always google keto versions of your old favorite snacks and see what pops up. I can't remember a single recipe that I haven't liked yet (and I am a pretty picky eater). Also, I've seen a few people mention the salt but you might also want to try a magnesium supplement. If I don't take mine, I get suuuper sick feeling (practically the keto flu stage all over again but 10x worse). Good luck!

I'll be looking into the website, and I've read that very similar statement about magnesium online! Thanks for the support
  • kknight899
    kknight899 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Keto based shakes!
  • kknight899
    kknight899 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just experimented and at some fries two days ago and it compleetly knocked me off ketosis, big big mistake
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options

Yeah they're call flavdrops, you should find them easy enough on myprotein site. Its a small bottle of liquid, use very sparingly, complete;y sugar free and keto friendly. Don't know what I'd do without them.
  • nebulah_exe
    nebulah_exe Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've just started so any tips would be greatly appreciated!
  • jaybelovely
    Options

Yeah they're call flavdrops, you should find them easy enough on myprotein site. Its a small bottle of liquid, use very sparingly, complete;y sugar free and keto friendly. Don't know what I'd do without them.

Thank you so much!
  • jaybelovely
    Options
    kknight899 wrote: »
    I just experimented and at some fries two days ago and it compleetly knocked me off ketosis, big big mistake

I had sweet potato casserole and knocked me Outttt! When you say "knocked you off ketosis", how did your body react? How did you know your body left ketosis? Or are you speaking just craving in general