Calorie intake low but don't feel hungry

Options
I want to first say I am by no means trying to starve myself at all. I have jumped back on the eating healthy working out 5 times a week band wagon. And I noticed my calorie intake by the end of the day is between 800-900 calories.. what I don't get is I eat super healthy portion my foods and do not feel hungry I eat a medium breakfast large lunch work out after work then dinner consists of a shake most nights... people say my lack of calories is bad but at the same time my logic is why am I eating if I'm not hungry? Should I add filler calories into my reg meals so it's at 1000 cal? Idk what I'm doing wrong but I feel great, losing weight, and getting back in the groove

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Eat to 1200, not 1000 (and possibly even higher depending on your stats). Eating that low can lead to higher muscle loss as well as other serious health issues if you continue.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How long have you been eating that amount of calories while working out 5 days a week....?
  • Ms_Sicilian
    Ms_Sicilian Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    How long have you been eating that amount of calories while working out 5 days a week....?

For about 2 weeks now. It was the same when I started at 198lbs I ate that much and dropped to 145 due to laziness and Chinese food over the course of winter I gained to 165lbs. So I'm eating like I normally do. When I feel hungry I eat, when I don't, I don't
  • Ms_Sicilian
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    are you weighing your food? are you "sure" you accurate?
    Yes sir! Everything is weighed, measured accurately, I sometimes add a few calories when I think I eat a little bit over
  • vkr2q7
    vkr2q7 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem. My nutritionist is having me eat between 1100-1200 calories a day, but some days I really struggle to even reach 1100. I find the easiest thing to do is grab a handful of almonds or half an avocado to bump up the calories without resorting to just mindless eating or putting a lot of effort into making food I'm not hungry for.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

For about 2 weeks now. It was the same when I started at 198lbs I ate that much and dropped to 145 due to laziness and Chinese food over the course of winter I gained to 165lbs. So I'm eating like I normally do. When I feel hungry I eat, when I don't, I don't

Maybe your hair will start falling out and your skin will get bad before you start bingeing, maybe it won't, maybe you'll just pass out whilst working out and end up in hospital...

Maybe eat more and avoid any of that happening? And avoid losing so much muscle that you still look squishy when you're at goal weight.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    Yes sir! Everything is weighed, measured accurately, I sometimes add a few calories when I think I eat a little bit over

seems like your too low. there are ways to get your calories up to a suggested better level with just a little calorie dense foods such as peanut butter to name one. also, you can opt for more full fat foods in dairy. there are health benefits for say, whole milk, whole cheese, regular yogurt etc. Heck, even a protein powder added to a drink would get you more cals and protein which is a good combo.

I think your calorie level will eventually cause you to fall off the wagon and you'll go the other way again. don't be afraid of getting at 1200.

you don't have to force it, just research different slightly higher calorie choices for when you do eat...and continue to eat when you want to.
  • Ms_Sicilian
    Options

Maybe your hair will start falling out and your skin will get bad before you start bingeing, maybe it won't, maybe you'll just pass out whilst working out and end up in hospital...

Maybe eat more and avoid any of that happening? And avoid losing so much muscle that you still look squishy when you're at goal weight. [/quote]

maybe try not to be so rude and assume I'm a walking zombie, like I said I feel great I'm pushing weights and running. I feel amazing I'm just trying to understand why I don't feel hungry

• Ms_Sicilian
    Options

seems like your too low. there are ways to get your calories up to a suggested better level with just a little calorie dense foods such as peanut butter to name one. also, you can opt for more full fat foods in dairy. there are health benefits for say, whole milk, whole cheese, regular yogurt etc. Heck, even a protein powder added to a drink would get you more cals and protein which is a good combo.

I think your calorie level will eventually cause you to fall off the wagon and you'll go the other way again. don't be afraid of getting at 1200.

you don't have to force it, just research different slightly higher calorie choices for when you do eat...and continue to eat when you want to.

Ok so look up calorie dense foods and put those in my diets maybe add peanut butter to my shake for extra calories etc.
  • Ms_Sicilian
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I want to first say I am by no means trying to starve myself at all. I have jumped back on the eating healthy working out 5 times a week band wagon. And I noticed my calorie intake by the end of the day is between 800-900 calories.. what I don't get is I eat super healthy portion my foods and do not feel hungry I eat a medium breakfast large lunch work out after work then dinner consists of a shake most nights... people say my lack of calories is bad but at the same time my logic is why am I eating if I'm not hungry? Should I add filler calories into my reg meals so it's at 1000 cal? Idk what I'm doing wrong but I feel great, losing weight, and getting back in the groove
    Screw the shake and EAT DINNER.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

But I like my shakes o.o they are filled with chocolate- goodness!
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options

Ok so look up calorie dense foods and put those in my diets maybe add peanut butter to my shake for extra calories etc.

Ya, sounds like a good plan..of course, all this is predicated on your prior statement that your "sure your logging is tight". :) its pretty easy to add calories especially if you the nut family lmao.
  • BurlzGettingFit
    BurlzGettingFit Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Maybe eat more and avoid any of that happening? And avoid losing so much muscle that you still look squishy when you're at goal weight.

maybe try not to be so rude and assume I'm a walking zombie, like I said I feel great I'm pushing weights and running. I feel amazing I'm just trying to understand why I don't feel hungry

[/quote]

It may have come across rude but these are things that happen overtime if you continuously undereat
  • laurens47
    laurens47 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Cook with, add or use high quality oils, peanut butter, nuts and seeds are all ideas for calorie dense foods to add to your day. A handful of almonds never made me full.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

She isn't being rude at all. You may not be feeling the side effects of undereating now, but they are manifesting.
  • Ms_Sicilian
    Options

It may have come across rude but these are things that happen overtime if you continuously undereat [/quote]

I understand, but I am coming on here looking for ideas not people say that's to low... I know it's low I want to fix it but avoid overeating

• Ms_Sicilian
    Options
    I appreciate everyone giving advice on what I should add in my meal plan making sure to write it down
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Prolonged periods of not eating enough may cause a loss of normal hunger cues. This can also be a trigger for an eating disorder if you continue to eat below 1200 calories a day. 1200 calories a day is, on average, what the female body needs while at rest, to perform basic functions such as blood circulation, organ function, breathing and temperature regulation. Your body also needs additional calories to provide energy for other activities, including digestion, exercising and the basic activities of daily life. If you are truly eating 800 to 900 calories a day and working out on top of that and don't feel hungry, you need to see a doctor and get checked out.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    If you are weighing your food.. have plenty of energy to rock your workouts, aren't hungry, over-tired, sleeping well and feel great... then I don't see a problem here.

My guess is that if you are really buckling down on the types of food you are eating, you are filling up with foods that have a low calorie density, and that is keeping you full longer on fewer calories.

If you start seeing issues with your health (over-tired, mood swings, hair loss, sudden skin problems, etc) - then you might want to re-visit your intake... but being that you are running very low calories overall, then please be very mindful of what your body is telling you, and don't ignore warning signs.