Females!! How many calories do you eat?

Options
I'm trying to gain muscle without extra fat.
When reading online and calculating it says I need to eat 2500 cals minimum a day. That's twice as much as I was eating before (before I was losing weight, so I know I would be eating more just that seems like a lot!!)
I'm 5'4 and 118lbs. Any advice helps! Thank you.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    That number looks very high. I'd recheck your calculations, if I were you. scoobysworkshop.com is a good site.

I'm 5'9, 170 lbs, and losing on 2015 calories per day.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Is that 2500 calories to maintain or to bulk/gain ?

I maintain around that amount but I am 5'7", ~130lbs
  • kaylanoto
    kaylanoto Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Find your maintenance first, and then add 250 cals.
    That number looks very high. I'd recheck your calculations, if I were you. scoobysworkshop.com is a good site.

I'm 5'9, 170 lbs, and losing on 2015 calories per day.

On average I burn 2200 calories a day. I've read to add 300-500 cals to gain muscle. I'm not trying to lose anymore weight, just want to gain muscle.
  • kaylanoto
    kaylanoto Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

I'm trying to gain muscle.. Id be okay with gaining weight as long as it's muscle and not fat. Trying to gain as little fat as possible
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I missed the gain part...oops. I agree with @TavistockToad, then.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    kaylanoto wrote: »

I'm trying to gain muscle.. Id be okay with gaining weight as long as it's muscle and not fat. Trying to gain as little fat as possible

Unfortunately if you bulk.. you will gain some fat along with the muscle. But then after the bulk you cut to lose the fat and retain the muscle (as much as possible)

You can also recomp where you can maintain your weight lose fat and gain muscle over a longer period of time.

Do you know your current bodyfat % approximately? I think if you are very lean and defined and want to add more size/mass/weight to your frame, bulking will be your best option. If on the other hand you are happy with your shape and weight but still have fat you want to lose, I would recomp.

This!
    It's not very helpful to know what other women eat as it varies so much.
    I would log and track your weight for a while to try to establish what your maintenance cals are, and then increase if you do decide to bulk (but as mentioned, you will gain some fat in a calorie surplus.)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    kaylanoto wrote: »

You can't help gaining fat if you're in a surplus.

Maybe you'd prefer recomp instead?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Gaining muscle (especially for a female) is usually a long process. And you're going to gain fat regardless.
    But if you want to gain muscle you eat a surplus, train with progressive overload and with high volume.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tmemery
    tmemery Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'd also be watching your macros, that's probably part of the reason why you see such a spread of numbers in caloric intake between different people (among other things). Relying solely on calorie count may be to simple of an approach for what you are trying to accomplish.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm 5', 137 lbs., I'm currently bulking and consuming 2000 calories
  • HoldTheDoor13
    HoldTheDoor13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 ~118 lb (174 cm, 53kg) and lean bulking fairly successfully on 1800-2000 calories
  • hotmom1213
    hotmom1213 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" goal weight is 125 I'm eating atleast 2500 cal a day I usually go over I also workout twice a day
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 ,goal weight 130 and I'm gaining on around 2000 - 2200.
    We are all different!
  • loftus4827
    loftus4827 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 ~118 lb (174 cm, 53kg) and lean bulking fairly successfully on 1800-2000 calories

Dude I cut on that many calories...
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Whatever you decide- bulking or recomp- add calories in slowly to minimize gaining too much.

Also the calculator is just an estimate, you'll need to pay attention to your body to find the right amount.
  • Converse2003
    Converse2003 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started at 112lbs when I first started bulking during a 9 month period at 2,525 calories a day. As of today I'm at 127lbs doing 2,100 maintance until summer is over and Ill get back to bulking soon after.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and maintain on 2100-2200 on days I workout. On days I just work (busy kitchen job) I maintain on 2000. Sedentary 1850.