Options
2»

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hoshiko wrote: »
    Most MLM salespeople are scum-sucking bottom feeders. :)

I make an exception for lularoe. Holy *kitten* those clothes are comfortable!

This is why I said, "Most." ;)

There are some with good products that actually are as advertised, but they are few and *very* far between.
  • Hoshiko
    Hoshiko Posts: 179 Member
    Options

This is why I said, "Most." ;)

There are some with good products that actually are as advertised, but they are few and *very* far between.

Oh, I completely agree! My facebook is filled up with plexus, itworks, plunder, marykay... the list goes on. And I hate all of it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    kgeyser wrote: »
    TonyaLeeC wrote: »
    What is it about people who "discover" a new MLM weight loss program...it is like getting religion! A friend on facebook got on it and now she pushes it at people constantly...egads....I have been around a long time and have seen these things come and go...if it works for ya..great..but golly give it a break now and then LOL

It's not just MLMs, people are like that with all sorts of things related to weight loss, health, or fitness. My FB feed is filled with workout check-ins from the new hot activity of the month, and recipes and links to articles about foods and diets. If you stick around here long enough, you can even watch people go from extolling the virtues of one way of eating to another. People just get excited when they find something that works for them after years of things not working. There was a time on the forums where you couldn't enter a post about strength training or body recomp without 10+ people recommending Stronglifts, because most of them just started and it was the Best. Program. Ever. and the frustration hadn't set in yet about not being able to handle the volume at a deficit with higher loads or hitting a wall because they couldn't handle the recommended weight increase and their gym didn't have fractional plates. There's always going to be some new, hot trend in the health and fitness world that everyone loves until the immediate gratification wears off, I personally just scroll on by and leave them to it.

I think the difference between the latest fad/trend and the MLMs though, is that often (not always) but often the people pushing the MLMs use underhanded tactics to get people on board "Try my free 5 day clean eating challenge!!", or will blatantly lie about the effects "This drink can cure diabetes, CFS, excema etc etc!" to make sales. So it's not just a fad, it's an actively promoted scam. They don't just recommend it, they actively try to convince people that they cannot possibly succeed without it, and will take money from people who can't afford it or don't need it just to hit sales targets.

A free trial is just clever marketing that plays on emotions, not really dishonest. The challenge is to not feel obligated to buy after the trial period.

It's the miracle claims they make that are dishonest, all convoluted by what's really happening. The cabbage soup diet will legitimately shed both water and fat weight, it's just not sustainable.

Oh the free one week thing in thinking of is the ones who join up here, know they aren't supposed to advertise so post free trials without mentioning the product at all. Plus it irks me that shakeology of all thing promotes "clean eating". What can possibly be more processed than a meal replacement shake? But they suck people in with their crap.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

Yeah, I have no problem with actual useful stuff like Avon, Partylite, the one that sells...um...intimate...gadgets and whatnot. Sure, the "earn extra cash/be your own boss" thing might not work out as planned, but at least the customers aren't being ripped off.
  • Alatariel75
    Options

Yeah, I have no problem with actual useful stuff like Avon, Partylite, the one that sells...um...intimate...gadgets and whatnot. Sure, the "earn extra cash/be your own boss" thing might not work out as planned, but at least the customers aren't being ripped off.

I'm I'ma total Tupperware tragic. I can't help myself. But Tupperware never told me their produces would cure mu autoimmune issue, or that I couldn't possibly cook without it and would just fail ;)
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    What is it about people who "discover" a new MLM weight loss program...it is like getting religion! A friend on facebook got on it and now she pushes it at people constantly...egads....I have been around a long time and have seen these things come and go...if it works for ya..great..but golly give it a break now and then LOL

It's not just MLMs, people are like that with all sorts of things related to weight loss, health, or fitness. My FB feed is filled with workout check-ins from the new hot activity of the month, and recipes and links to articles about foods and diets. If you stick around here long enough, you can even watch people go from extolling the virtues of one way of eating to another. People just get excited when they find something that works for them after years of things not working. There was a time on the forums where you couldn't enter a post about strength training or body recomp without 10+ people recommending Stronglifts, because most of them just started and it was the Best. Program. Ever. and the frustration hadn't set in yet about not being able to handle the volume at a deficit with higher loads or hitting a wall because they couldn't handle the recommended weight increase and their gym didn't have fractional plates. There's always going to be some new, hot trend in the health and fitness world that everyone loves until the immediate gratification wears off, I personally just scroll on by and leave them to it.

I think the difference between the latest fad/trend and the MLMs though, is that often (not always) but often the people pushing the MLMs use underhanded tactics to get people on board "Try my free 5 day clean eating challenge!!", or will blatantly lie about the effects "This drink can cure diabetes, CFS, excema etc etc!" to make sales. So it's not just a fad, it's an actively promoted scam. They don't just recommend it, they actively try to convince people that they cannot possibly succeed without it, and will take money from people who can't afford it or don't need it just to hit sales targets.

A free trial is just clever marketing that plays on emotions, not really dishonest. The challenge is to not feel obligated to buy after the trial period.

It's the miracle claims they make that are dishonest, all convoluted by what's really happening. The cabbage soup diet will legitimately shed both water and fat weight, it's just not sustainable.

Oh the free one week thing in thinking of is the ones who join up here, know they aren't supposed to advertise so post free trials without mentioning the product at all. Plus it irks me that shakeology of all thing promotes "clean eating". What can possibly be more processed than a meal replacement shake? But they suck people in with their crap.

The shakeology crew have shown marketing genius in how they sign up personal trainers to push supplements to their PT clients. None of these people have certification in nutrition but they push it hard, they know their talking points. I find it unethical and if I had a gym, nobody would be allowed to push any MLM products if they were an employee.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    Sloth2016 wrote: »

The shakeology crew have shown marketing genius in how they sign up personal trainers to push supplements to their PT clients. None of these people have certification in nutrition but they push it hard, they know their talking points. I find it unethical and if I had a gym, nobody would be allowed to push any MLM products if they were an employee.

Their system is brilliant: since no one other than the independently wealthy can actually afford the stuff, once you believe you need it - you are "hooked" and so you need to become a "dealer". Basically, they've taken the psychology of street drugs and applied it to something as innocuous as whey powder. Brilliant, actually.

That's a brilliant analogy
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Yeah, I have some Facebook friends who I know for a fact recently discovered Beachbody/Shakeology products and used them to lose weight. Now all of a sudden I'm seeing posts from them like "Would you like to get healthy but don't know where to start? I can help with that" etc.....

...yeah, no. I'll pass, thanks.