Anxiety about going to the gym

Options
I need some advice. I have not worked out for about 3 weeks. Before that, I was working out everyday for about an hour a day and I LOVED going to the gym. Now because of my inactivity and not eating very well I've gained a few pounds and because of that I'm so nervous to be seen at the gym, and so afraid of going there and being so out of shape that I fail and don't get in a good work out. I know this is probably irrational but I would love some encouragement and advice about how to get myself back there.

Thanks

Replies

• Mandamanda93
    Mandamanda93 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    How focused are you on how others look when they go to the gym (in a judgmental way)? If going to the gym is part of a healthy routine and lifestyle for you, focus on your health and that it's an activity you enjoy.
    If people want to be judgmental and rude, that's their own problem. You focus on your own happiness and health!
  • nFoooo
    nFoooo Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    The longer you wait, the harder it will be!

Honestly probably no one will notice a few pounds, you need like 20+ pounds to see a visible difference.

And what do you mean not get a good work out and fail? The only bad workout is the one you didn't do. You probably won't be able to work out as hard as when you were going to the gym everyday today but if you go to the gym regularly once more in three or four workouts you will be back to where you were 3 weeks ago.

You got this.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    elpint0r wrote: »
    I need some advice. I have not worked out for about 3 weeks. Before that, I was working out everyday for about an hour a day and I LOVED going to the gym. Now because of my inactivity and not eating very well I've gained a few pounds and because of that I'm so nervous to be seen at the gym, and so afraid of going there and being so out of shape that I fail and don't get in a good work out. I know this is probably irrational but I would love some encouragement and advice about how to get myself back there.

Thanks

3 weeks? How were you able to start going to the gym in the first place? Yes, it is irrational, no one is going to see what you see. Those "few pounds" are only noticeable by you and no one is going to be looking at you analysing everything about you, they are going to be focused on their own work out, on their own goals. Don't be nervous, go to the gym and you'll be glad you did afterwards.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

Thanks
    I agree, it's kind of irrational to think you're so fat and unfit after only 3 weeks. Sometimes we just have to "ignore" our anxieties and "just do it". You LOVE the gym, so why not do what you LOVE rather than sitting around fretting about it. After about 3 minutes in the gym you'll be so glad you did!
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Headphones, get them on get tunes on get in do your thing get out and get over it.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    If you have a boyfriend or a friend who are a member at your gym, take them. Motivate one another. Nobody cares what you look like at the gym. Everyone is chasing their goals. I assure you, go there and you will see. Plus few pounds is nothing and no one would know unless they carry a weight scale. :lol:
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It's a gym there are all shapes n sized there U can't look that bad ! If it's been 3 years 3 months 3 days it doesn't matter once I get there u will feel at home
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Go on, get yourself back to that gym woman!

I have bits of fat showing through the unflattering exercise fashion trend that is lycra, but that is precisely why I go there. I find that gym people can be grouped in to the following categories:

1. Normal people of all shapes and sizes who go to better themselves in some way or another - be it weight loss, strengthening - this is by far the majority of people you find in a gym.
    2. Heavy duty muscle builders - training for strongman competitions etc. The serious kind
    3. Girls who do very little (rubbish attempts at *kitten* building exercises with a technique so bad it makes most novices weep) but show off by wearing as little clothing and as much make up as possible in order to get attention from those described in point 4:
    4. Guys who show off their muscles because they think it makes every woman instantly want to procreate with them (for all you nineties kids out there: think Johnny Bravo types)

Anyone who judges anyone for attempting to improve themselves doesn't belong in a gym. I look a sweaty and flabby mess and I feel dreadfully sorry for my PT having to witness that on a weekly basis. But he keeps encouraging me, supporting me, and pushes me to my limits. Because he knows that is why I am there. Forget the world, put on your headphones and do it for you.

<gets out pom poms and cheers on the OP>
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    No one cares what you look like, just go in there and get it done.
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options

Thanks

When you were going to the gym did you notice others all of the time? Or did workouts happen and you left knackered and couldn't tell me whether @DasItMan91 was wearing pink shorts or pink socks?

Exactly, you wouldn't remember because you focused in on your work out. 90% of those in the gym are doing the same and 8% are looking up to you wishing they could be so focused and 2% are probably checking you out for all the right reasons :smile:

Get back in there and get those results you want.