Counting every single calorie...

Options
I have a serious question....when I am writing down my meals in the food diary do I need to write down every single thing that was used to cook the meal? For example, tonight I cooked a beef roast. I added a jar of home canned tomatoes, onion and several spices. Does all of that need to be listed separately? I usually don't measure that kind of stuff, but I do use a lot of herbs and spices when I cook. Most of my meals do not come with packaging that includes barcodes, we grow most of it ourselves. I just don't want to miss out on listing calories just to find out that I was not meeting my goal after all.

Replies

• ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    There are small amounts of calories in spices, but for the most part they're well within the rounding error on more caloric foods mandated by labeling laws. (For anything over 50 calories/serving, they round calories to the nearest 10.) I'm sure it's OK to leave them out of your counts.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I don't generally log spices, but I would log anything that has more than a couple of calories, or anything that has one of the nutrients or macros you care about tracking. For example, if you're paying attention to sodium you'd definitely want to log any salt you add to food even though it has no calories. With seasonings that have a few calories, like garlic, I usually estimate.
  • CaitKilla
    CaitKilla Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Just be careful... being so meticulous with calories can lead to disordered eating and/or an eating disorder. I know it because I'm there right now and trying to recover. If it's something that has so little calories like spices, don't count them. They won't matter.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I very rarely use food that
    Roey1231 wrote: »
    I usually don't measure that kind of stuff, but I do use a lot of herbs and spices when I cook. Most of my meals do not come with packaging that includes barcodes, we grow most of it ourselves. I just don't want to miss out on listing calories just to find out that I was not meeting my goal after all.

Like you, I do a ton of cooking and much of it doesn't have barcodes. I use the recipe builder nonstop (I've been on MFP for 6 years, so I have literally hundreds of recipes saved). For most foods, there are default entries and you can find them easily by searching "chicken breast meat only raw" or "onion raw". Then I typically weigh the ingredient in grams before adding it, but I'll eyeball low calorie foods like veggies. I always weigh proteins and fats.

I do add spices, garlic, ginger, etc in recipe builder but that's mostly because I use my recipe builder later as my actual recipe for a meal, and my shopping list. Also, some spices are actually kinda high calorie, like if you're making a hungarian goulash with a 1/2 cup of paprika :)

• tanis9699
    tanis9699 Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    :) Yes yes yes!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Yeah, gotta count all the big ingredients but give yourself a break on the herbs and spices. You get the hang of getting all your ingredients on the chopping board and weighing them off as you go. I have a little dry erase board on the counter that I jot it down on and then I'll stick it in the recipe builder when I am done.
  • breathless575
    breathless575 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's important to log every single thing. For example, I used to not log gum until I found out there were calories in it. At 5 calories per stick of gum, it can add up.
  • AngelaAlario
    AngelaAlario Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said, log it all. The way I do it when I cook a family meal like you're describing is to enter everything as a recipe. Then I weigh it all and weigh my portion. It's not perfect but in that situation it's as close as you can get and you'll definitely be in the ballpark.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I just log mixed veggies for expedience. Also I stop at 50 cals under goal.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I never log vegetable calories if they were on the old Weight Watchers "free" list. I do not log celery, broccoli, cucumbers, cauliflower, peppers, lettuce, spinach, peppers, onions, mushrooms, zucchini, and tomoatoes. I DO log butternut squash, carrots, sweet and white potatoes, corn, beans, chickpeas, peas. I use cucumbers, celery, and salads as a volumetrics trick to keep me full. I also bulk up meat with peppers, mushrooms, and onions as it helps me stay fuller and gives flavor for less calories. I do not count them because they keep me on track, are very low calorie and it works for me! I DO count pasta sauce, sauces, and dressings. I am not sure where homemade canned tomatoes would fall - as a sauce type condiment or as a veggie, but I find that if I do not stress over every little thing I tend to do better overall, so I say - "free."
  • funnybun1
    funnybun1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    if you're really that worried about it - maybe add the 5 calories by quick add calories....
    or...do some squats or something while you're cooking to burn it off :smiley:
  • LonniJay
    LonniJay Posts: 3,740 Member
    Options
    I think it's worth it too log everything and you'll discover what is and isn't worth logging over time. I used to never log spices until I decided to scan my cinnamon one day and found out it had way more calories than I expected.

I also like the recipe builder for things I make often. It makes things so much easier as others have mentioned. Good luck!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    The more data you have the easier it is to track problems if they arise.

Log all food and exercise it is important information for knowing your personal calorie burn and how many calories a day you need. Online estimators like MFP or TDEE calculators are only estimators. Same with exercise calorie burns. Web based or trackers are estimates.

Having your own numbers, though time consuming to gather when you start, will make weight loss and maintenance easier in the long term.

Over time, as you get use to what you need, you can become more lax, but to begin with accuracy is key.

Cheers, h.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    When I'm using the recipe builder, I admit to using generic entries for fruits and vegetables (e.g. 1 large onion, 1 medium carrot) without weighing the actual ingredient. I figure that a carrot is about 20-40 calories. I'm making a stew that will yield 4 (sometimes 6) portions. If the carrot accounts for 5 calories or 10... it's really not a big deal. And since I'm the only one eating my vegetarian entree... let's just imagine that the recipe builder tells me it's going to be 400 calories per serving. I don't sweat it if one portion is 380 and another one is 420. It balances over the week.

That being said, I log all my ingredients, even water and spices. I accept that it may not be 100% accurate but at this point, I have slightly over 70 lbs to lose. As long as I'm reasonably on target, the weight is coming off. If/when I plateau, tightening up my logging will probably be the first thing I try.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe builder. It's a great tool. I think most of us cook the same meals with a few variations and the recipe builder saves so much time. I don't bother logging spices, though.