Does anyone else feel this way about fitbits?

Options
Sp1tfire
Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
So I've been an avid fitbit user for about a year. I mainly used it to track steps and calories burned. Then when I started exercising and doing more intense stuff I've started to dislike wearing. I feel like it boils down my fitness success to how many calories I burned (and I don't think it's always accurate because it doesn't seem to take resistance into account). It takes the fitness out of fitness for me. I'm in better shape than I have been my whole life, but my fitbit makes me feel like all that matters is my steps and my calories. I might stop wearing after I get back from college and focus on being in shape rather than focusing on how many calories the activity burned.

Your thoughts?

Replies

• haleyj089
    haleyj089 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I really liked my fitbit in the very beginning but I agree with you - it seems steps and calories is all that matters in regards to daily progress. I like wearing it to track my steps but that's all I personally use it for. :]
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I only wear a step tracking device during my regular day to remind myself to be more active. I don't wear it at the gym, but I would probably wear it on a hike just to help gauge how tired I might be the next day.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I dislike fitbits...their steps aren't even that accurate.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I gotta say, I pretty much use mine as a watch these days. And I could get a better looking watch.
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I never liked it I thought tracking steps versus actual calorie output was stupid. Then it fell off somewhere in an airport when I was traveling and that was that.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Never been interested in using one.
    How many steps I take in a day rarely reflects the amount of activity I have had.

Cheers, h.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    i like my fitbit, enjoyed loads of challenges last year. still participate in daily challenges when invited
    i dont pay any attention to the calories burnt
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I can get hung up on calorie chasing, but that would happen with or without the Fitbit because I already had a food obsession. So plus side is the Fitbit helps me manage my weight, the down side is that I can look to it for permission to eat more. Right now, I feel more secure in having it. Whether or not I ditch it down the road depends on if I can rebuild a healthier relationship with food.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    katadx wrote: »
    So I've been an avid fitbit user for about a year. I mainly used it to track steps and calories burned. Then when I started exercising and doing more intense stuff I've started to dislike wearing. I feel like it boils down my fitness success to how many calories I burned (and I don't think it's always accurate because it doesn't seem to take resistance into account). It takes the fitness out of fitness for me. I'm in better shape than I have been my whole life, but my fitbit makes me feel like all that matters is my steps and my calories. I might stop wearing after I get back from college and focus on being in shape rather than focusing on how many calories the activity burned.

Your thoughts?

I think your giving fit bit too much thought.

After my work out I think how does that compare to the last time I did this route, time wise etc. I don't think what did fit bit say.
  • jbeth30
    jbeth30 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have been going back and forth on buying one for myself. I think I have decided not to get one especially for the reasons you mentioned. I don't want to get caught up on a Watch telling me how many steps I should be taking a day. I want to focus on how good my body feels when I exercise without focusing on a number. It would almost be like me stepping on the scale and the scale telling me how good I have been. I would start looking at the fit bit in the same way. I don't want that. I want my body to tell me what I need… Not a fit bit
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I like mine. I like seeing how many steps I've done (compared it to other steppers and a phone counting steps as well). I don't really pay much attention to the active minutes, but I like getting awards and seeing how far I've walked compared to countries or whatever. I also use apps to track my water intake. It is just fun. With one, when I drink, I water a plant. If I don't drink enough, it'll eventually die.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I just use mine to watch my steps and also check the time. :D But the step counter comes in handy to me.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I have never been interested in these fitness gadgets. I only track my fitness walking/running miles (not steps) using a phone app and this works great for me.

Then again I've been maintaining for years, but I doubt I would still be interested even when I was losing.

I just want the bottom line (how many miles I've walked or ran) not so much the bells and whistles.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    My Husband got me a Fitbit about 2+ years ago. I used it for a week - then took it off. I'm OCD about exercise as it is - I workout 6 days a week, 90 minutes/workout. The Fitbit is not very accurate - doesn't 'count' my time on the bike, on the elliptical, lifting weights - but it would get on my last nerve if I didn't get those darn 10,000 steps in. If you workout consistently (and do something OTHER than walk or run) - I don't think it's very helpful. But I know a lot of people who swear by theirs. My Fitbit fed into my OCD tendencies - and seriously took the fun out of working out.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I liked it at first but I don't use it anymore. I felt like I failed if I didn't hit every mark and over time that was more discouraging then encouraging and I was always having to take it off to dry it because I run warm and always ended up sweating a ton and got lots of rashes even with regular washing and trading wrists. It became more cumbersome than helpful after about a year. It taught me a lot about myself and how much I move but wasn't a sustainable tool for me and I probably won't ever buy another.
  • gmstevens37
    gmstevens37 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I liked mine for about a week. Good thing I got it free from air miles. Mine is the garmin one. It has the move meter that vibrates if you haven't moved for a certain amount of time. The thing is, I work in a kitchen, so I am never not moving, I am not always moving my arms that whole time, because I usually carrying something. For some reason, it counts my steps AND tells me I'm being a lazy *kitten*. Haha. Plus, it doesn't seem like the calories burned are accurate. Starts everyday with 400+ already burnt, while I wasn't even wearing it. Also it started sticking to my wrist. Which feels gross.
    But at least I know how many steps I take in a day now. Which is all I really wanted it for anyway.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I take my Fitbit results with a grain of salt. If you lift weights and don't do much cardio, it's not an accurate way to track weight loss. For example, on my bench days I do a solid hour of heavy lifting, but it won't show many steps but I know I have burned more calories than the Fitbit is showing. I think the calories burned is really based on STEPS alone.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Nope.