How long does Vacation weight stay?

Options
I just got back Monday afternoon from a week-long vacation in California where my meals were less than stellar. We did quite a bit of walking and standing (especially compared to my desk job), but because I basically ate what I wanted I came back about 7 lbs heavier. This morning I was only 5 lbs heavier, but that's still really bad for me. Usually I can fit actual workouts into my vacays and come back within 1-2 lbs of my prior weight... which I lose pretty quickly.

Since having this level of bloating and eating poorly on vacation is new to me, how long does is take you guys to 'settle' at a weight when you come back, to determine how much actual fat-weight you put on? Should I not worry about it for a couple weeks? For what it's worth, last night I started back on my regular workout routine, and yesterday and today I've tried to eat really healthy. Thanks!

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Probably about a week.

I went on a 7 day cruise...gained 8 lbs...got back on track the Monday after returning. By Thursday I was back to the weight I was before we left.

It's usually water retention from the sodium in the food we eat.
  • Chemburly12
    Options
    I came back from my vacation in June about 6 pounds heavier. I knew some of it had to be water weight for eatting poorly and all the travel we did in 2 days to get back home. I took two weeks off from the scale. When I finally got back on I was only 2 pounds up. Which when you consider that's from eatting anything I wanted for 2 weeks and not exercising, it wasn't too bad. I was able to get if off after a week of being back on track. I'd give it a few weeks of being back on track, then go from there. 5 pounds isn't that bad at all. You'll have it off in no time.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    it really depends, for me i always gain a good 5 lbs on vacation. Last time it took me 2.5 months to take it off!!!! normally a week does it but i was shocked at how hard it was last time taking it off...
  • firesoul19
    firesoul19 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, Very helpful! I'm glad it's not just me. I'll just go back to what I was doing and give it a few more days before I freak out.:) Taking off 5 lbs for real is not something I imagine I can do quickly, I've been at a steady 138-141 lbs for a couple years now, since going from 178 down to 125 about 8 years ago.