what do you use coconut oil for?

Options
I recently bought a jar of coconut oil because a recipe for nut snack bars called for it. I ended up not making those, now I wonder what else I can use it in. Do you use it like cooking oil for stir-fries and other savory dishes? Where would you use the coconut oil rather than olive oil or the like?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I cook my eggs in it each morning. I use it to roast brussels sprouts and potatoes.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I used to mix it in with rice. Gives it great flavor.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I use it to cook eggs as well.
  • rissalatoya
    rissalatoya Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's great to use when making dog treats too
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    LovesDogsAndBooks Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Honestly, eggs are the last thing I would have thought of! I got to try this, even though my initial reaction is this can't possibly taste good :smile:
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I stick some on my elbows and knees when they get a little dry and crusty in the winter. Good stuff, but I'm actually not a big fan of the taste!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,952 Member
    Options
    I would skip eating unnecessary saturated fats that most heart associations consider to be only marginally healthier than butter ('cause for that small margin I would rather have actual butter, or ice cream, or steak), and use it for my hands and face, especially in winter! :smiley:

With footnotes to references: http://www.health24.com/diet-and-nutrition/healthy-foods/clearing-up-the-confusion-around-coconut-oil-20160909
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    Options
    I love the smell of it, but I haven't used it for anything yet. I can imagine it's good on rough skin.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of baking with it. I have a family member who is dairy free and it substitutes for butter quite well.

I use refined coconut oil in cooking because it has less flavour.

I occasionally make candy with it or add it to coffee.
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I would skip eating unnecessary saturated fats that most heart associations consider to be only marginally healthier than butter ('cause for that small margin I would rather have actual butter, or ice cream, or steak), and use it for my hands and face, especially in winter! :smiley:

With footnotes to references: http://www.health24.com/diet-and-nutrition/healthy-foods/clearing-up-the-confusion-around-coconut-oil-20160909

Oh, I have no concerns eating butter, so whatever negative health effects are associated with coconut oil, they probably won't bother me.
  • dadsafrantic
    dadsafrantic Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    i use duck fat. amazing for fingerling potatoes.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    Options
    I fry my taco shells in it.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Thai food!
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    Options

I am German and love rendered pork fat! Used to gross out my American husband when my parents and I spread it on bread!
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I use it as the fat source when preparing coconut dishes for obvious reasons. I've used it for desserts, added it to smoothies etc. I also found if you heated it up and mixed it with equal amounts of grapeseed and almond oil it makes for a good oil for your face and hands and stays liquid if you keep it at room temperature.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It's awesome to use if you pop popcorn in oil.
    It also adds a nice flavor to French toast.

And for non food- it's a good deep conditioner for your hair.
  • Untitled_Unmastered
    Untitled_Unmastered Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yep for frying. And teeth whitening and moisturizer. Excellent at fading stretch marks btw.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I use it for my hair. Mix it up with other oils
    Never thought about cooking with it
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options

I am German and love rendered pork fat! Used to gross out my American husband when my parents and I spread it on bread!

My father was German and used to have "dripping" (pork fat) on rye bread for breakfast !